RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Learn from my (incorrect) knowledge - wheel fell off truck

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Learn from my (incorrect) knowledge - wheel fell off truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I almost lost the left rear set of duals on my F350 dually in northern Nevada. Noticed a strange vibration and noise. Caught it before all the lug nuts came off. Unfortunately, it must have been loose for quite some time because it egged out all of the lug holes in the wheels and wore down the studs too.

The other side must have come loose at some previous time, because when I checked the wheels, they were egged out too.

Ended up buying 5 new wheels (all 4 rears, plus the truck had no spare wheel when I got it) and 16 new lug studs. Cost me about $1000.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over-torque is just as bad as under-torque. If you continuosly check the lug nuts without using a torque wrench you can actually over-torque them.

Lost a wheel on our last 5er 400 miles out from delivery at the Dealer. Dealer had put aftermarket wheels on and the tire shop over-torqued according to the investigation on the wheel by the manufacturer. The lugs spread the aluminum in the hole. Ended up with new wheels, and all new studs.

"By the time a man asks for advise he usually has already made up his mind and is looking for confirmation more than opinion" -Sidney Harris

dave17352

LINCOLN, NE

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive a 2011 chevy D/A. I am now nervous, what should I torque those to. What about the 16 inch steel wheels on my 2005 Cardinal. I have to admit here in my 39 years of driving I have never used a torque wrench on a tire. But that is going to change tomorrow!

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2011 CHEVY 3500 SRW Duramax
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it was Charles Goodyear who wrote: "It's true that what you don't know can hurt you. But it's the things you know incorrectly that do the real damage."

Glad no one was hurt.

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave17352 wrote:

I drive a 2011 chevy D/A. I am now nervous, what should I torque those to. What about the 16 inch steel wheels on my 2005 Cardinal. I have to admit here in my 39 years of driving I have never used a torque wrench on a tire. But that is going to change tomorrow!

Like Brad said, over torque can be just as big of a problem. Check your documents on each vehicle for correct torque. Also watch the tire shops cause some just hit them with the gun like one size fits all, demand a TW with known good torque numbers.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

dave17352

LINCOLN, NE

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

45Ricochet wrote:

dave17352 wrote:

Like Brad said, over torque can be just as big of a problem. Check your documents on each vehicle for correct torque. Also watch the tire shops cause some just hit them with the gun like one size fits all, demand a TW with known good torque numbers.

where would you find the info on the cardinal 5th wheel?

REWahoo

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave17352 wrote:

I drive a 2011 chevy D/A. I am now nervous, what should I torque those to.

The owner's manual for the Chevy truck listed in my sig says torque the lug nuts to 140 ft/lbs.

2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS

dave17352

LINCOLN, NE

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

REWahoo wrote:

dave17352 wrote:

I drive a 2011 chevy D/A. I am now nervous, what should I torque those to.

The owner's manual for the Chevy truck listed in my sig says torque the lug nuts to 140 ft/lbs.

Looks like another trip to harbour frieght.

* This post was edited 06/28/12 09:12am by dave17352 *

Gas Hawg

NW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 02:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So glad to hear no collateral damage or accidents resulted... It reminded me of our residential move from MO to OH. The contracted owner operator of the moving van was delayed to pack and move us due to having to "borrow" a rig from a local United Van Lines affiliate. On his way from MN to MO he was travelling in the left lane to allow a car to merge from an on ramp. As he was preparing to get back over he saw a tractor on the oncoming side of the interstate lose a rear wheel. If he had changed lanes the tire was on a trajectory to wipe our the little sedan he allowed to merge. In an instant he decided to brake hard and the tire hit just behind the cab and wiped out his entire truck. The car safely passed him on the right before the impact of the tire spun his whole rig across the right lane and into the grass on the shoulder. The rig was a total loss and he had some nasty bruises and, I think he said, cracked ribs.

His quick thinking saved the family of 4 in that sedan. A tire and wheel at highway speed is a lethal weapon for sure. Although he couldn't do much packing his hired help busted through our house in 1 day rather than the quoted 2 to get us on schedule. He is one over the road driver I wish more would emulate. A great guy for sure that averted a potentially horrible situation with quick thinking and bravery....

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/LB 2WD 8.1L
2006 Laredo 26BH

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not quite the same as previous posters experience, but semi in front of me years ago lost the spare out from under the trailer.

Hit the pavement, bounced and started rolling off the highway. Small bar cafe was off the road at that location and the bouncing, rolling spare went right through the front door, just smashing it into pieces.

Luck was with us that day, as it was still early afternoon, and no customers or workers were even near the door. Sure could have been a fatality getting hit by that much tire moving that fast.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2003 Hitchhiker Discover America Quad Slide
2008 SnowRiver 10-8 D/S Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Learn from my (incorrect) knowledge - wheel fell off truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS