RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How much Brakes does a gasser have?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> How much Brakes does a gasser have?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tempforce wrote:

a good set of brakes should under severe braking without a anti-lock system should be able to lock up the tires.
yes, you may have tire hop and are possible to slide.. so be careful...
.... always use a off road area to do your testing...
But the OP is talking about a motorhome on a 1991 P53 Chev on probably 16" rubber. Chassis with a new master cylinder and new pads. But what about new fluid???

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 10:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think maybe the P30 and F53 perhaps feel more like they don't want to stop than what actually happens in a panic situation. You gotta put some real muscle into them for quick stops -- not that ill maintained rigs may not have problems.

Until you get on a long open place somewhere and actually try a panic stop you really don't know.

* This post was edited 06/28/12 09:42am by More To See *

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pkunk wrote:

Apples & oranges, but my Ford has enough brake to lock up the wheels and scatter stuff all over inside the MH. Still have 65% pads at almost 70k miles.

Same here on our 1992 P30. At 100K miles (front replace once/rear still OEM) the pads are at 50%. Well ours has only locked up on wet pavement but stops very well.

I had my fluid flushed last year and the shop bleed them well. Any air in the system will give soft brakes with any brand chassis.

Don & Linda

Western PA / Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

pkunk wrote:

Apples & oranges, but my Ford has enough brake to lock up the wheels and scatter stuff all over inside the MH. Still have 65% pads at almost 70k miles.

Same here on our 1992 P30. At 100K miles (front replace once/rear still OEM) the pads are at 50%. Well ours has only locked up on wet pavement but stops very well.

I had my fluid flushed last year and the shop bleed them well. Any air in the system will give soft brakes with any brand chassis.

X3

Most complaints of poor braking performance (p30/f53 with good mechanical's)are straightened out with fluid flush and correct bleeding procedure.

Those spending large dollars with a troubled result, are having their pockets picked by bad mechanics JMHO

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my experience, there's a huge difference between the brakes on gassers and on a DP and I don't think you can do anything to change that. You can probably throw tons of money upgrading the brakes but I don't think you'll ever get that close.

MustangGT

Athens, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my 1996 f53 chassis has Hydroboost and 13k miles on it. All OEM. on two occassions I have had to stand on the brake pedal in highway traffic. My 17k pound box stopped just as fast as the cars and pickups all around me (knock on wood that luck continues). No hop, no lockup, cabinet contents were crashing around, the dog did a face plant...
I have no idea what the older Chevy or Ford brakes are like (or air-brakes), but I can't complain. And of course, no matter what you have, there is ALWAYS something better. Spend the money if you want or you can just slow down. (this is from a hot-rodder on the highway to Hell so its just my stupid 2 cents)

Mark, Jean, Paul & Lizzy (the mutt)
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34LS >
Thirsty, noisy & clunky. She ain't pretty, but she sure is fun!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a friend who designed the brakes for the P30 before he retired from GM. He said the brakes he designed and the final production, after the bean counters finished, were not anywhere close to the same. GM does recommend that anything over 1500# of toad requires a supplemental brake system. We flushed our fluid every 2 years on our '96 P30 and never had a problem.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I earlier said that I thought there was a significant difference between gasser and DP brakes but in hindsight, it's more accurate to say that it 'feels' like there's a significant difference between them. As lacking as I find the brakes on the gasser, I have to admit after reeeding the last few posts that I've never been in position where the gasser brakes haven't worked well enough. It could very well be that difference is just pedal feel - I still think that the air brakes do work better but I don't have any concrete proof. It would be interesting to do more testing.

nemo45

Arlington, WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just traded our 2011 Georgetown 378TS with the F53 chassis on a 2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master DP on a Freightliner chassis with air brakes. We had 9000 miles on the gasser and just drove the DP 1200 miles home from Texas. I can tell you the air brakes are great and with the addition of the exhaust brake even better. But, the brakes worked fine on my gasser and I never had a bit of a problem stopping it even with my Equinox toad behind it. I did have a bit of a small problem with the position of the brake pedal on the DP, getting my right foot in the right position to apply the brake with the base of the pedal being attached to the floor. But, after operating it a couple of times, all was good.

Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

frankdamp

Anacortes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are there any air-operated disk brakes out there? The air-braked transit fleet I drove were all drums, albeit BIG drums. If you're trying to stop a 40' coach with 70 passengers in it, you need a lot of braking power. The 18 people standing in the aisle might have a problem!

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen Anacortes, WA, soon to be ex-RVers

'02 Georgetown 325, F53, V-10, now at a consignment dealer (Nov 2014).
Dogs - 2 older Labs, both yellow males, both adopted.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> How much Brakes does a gasser have?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS