|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Added Reflextix to Roof A/C and Exterior Vent covers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
BBdawg

Apopka, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I came up with this brilliant idea (in my own mind) to take the roof A/C cover off, clean up the interior and then cover the inside of the a/c cover with Reflextix(available at your local box stores).
Anyway, the job was very easy and I covered the complete inside except the vent areas. I secured the Reflectix with dabs of 5200 to help in preventing any sagging onto the top of the a/c parts.

My thought is that the reflectix will reflect the hard Florida sun from the compressor and condenser and allow it to run a little cooler.

Running cooler might help improve efficiency and less overall strain on the a/c unit.

So, so far the first day it seems like the a/c is running far less than before (might be a mind thing) but it does seem like a keeper.

After completing the a/c mod, I then removed the Max Aire covers from my vents and cover the interior of them with the Reflectix as well.
My wife had previously cut Reflectix pieces to attach into the inside of the roof vents, thus significantly reducing interior heat, but the area around the vents still seemed to remain quite warm compared to the rest of the ceiling.

I immediately noticed a very significant drop in temperature after my Reflectix addition to the actual roof vent covers. (This was not just a mind game - it really worked).

Has anyone else done this?
How about long term effects?
Anyone have any pros/cons on what I did?

Here are some photos I finally took, some 12 months later. Sorry for the delay but time flies when you are having health issues.

* This post was edited 02/21/13 11:39am by BBdawg *

dan-nickie

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like it.
Reflectix is great for blocking heat in many applications.
I hadn't thought about these.
Thanks for the tips.

Dan and Nickie, Four Winds 31p, Retired Jan/2011

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any photos of the work?

I actually went to Hobby Lobby and got 2"x14" pieces of foam to insert into interior side of vents to act as a barrier from direct sunlight.

2008 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS
2002 Ford 4x4 SuperCab 7.3 (Jr International) Diesel

Sad to say, time to sell to a good home.

BBdawg

Apopka, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hallock5 wrote:

Any photos of the work?

No, I did not take any photos as I had not thought of posting this as a mod.
We found the reflectix much easier to work with on our previous camper and as I mentioned we did as you are planning but originally used the reflectix, instead of styro-foam, just on the inside vent openings.

If you are not familiar with reflextix, it is a very flexible, soft center coated with an aluminum foil. cuts with scissors and I used the foil a/c duct tape to tape the corners together. I was concerned about the reflectix falling down from the top of the vent cover so I added a few dabs of 5200 sealant.

If all continues to work as I hope, I'll go back up and remove one of the vent covers and take a few photos and post them.

This was very very easy and if you can picture a 1/4in thick sheet of aluminum foil, with pieces cut to the size of the top and sides of the inside of the vent covers with a piece of tape in each of the corners holding it together - that is it..

We have the white/opaque vent covers and with the reflectix installed, it just slightly darkens the color and is basically invisible from the outside.

Don & Linda

Western PA / Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BBdawg wrote:

I came up with this brilliant idea (in my own mind) to take the roof A/C cover off, clean up the interior and then cover the inside of the a/c cover with Reflextix(available at your local box stores)...full text above...

Would insulating your roof top A/C cover, help trap excessive heat around the compressor?

BBdawg

Apopka, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don & Linda wrote:

BBdawg wrote:

Would insulating your roof top A/C cover, help trap excessive heat around the compressor?

If I created a problem, then I am hoping some knowledgeable campers or a/c experts will step up.

You could well have a point but as I did not cover any of the vent areas, nor interfered with the condensation pan I can only hope my idea helps more than hurts. I am reflecting heat away from the compressor, not trapping it in in any way I can imagine.

Working around the TT today I noticed significantly more condensation than previous and the a/c seemed to run for less time.

I am really hoping someone can chime in and confirm or reject my thoughts and 2 days of experience..

big buford

Buena Park, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ctpres wrote:

I have to think about your mod. One I am going to do is insulate the roof top air return duct. I just can't understand why not done by mfg. Im am talking about the front end of rooftop unit where air is pulled from the ceiling and directed to the coils. That section of duct is just thin plastic on our Carrier.

X2 I took the covers off last year(Carrier)and cleaned the evaporator coils. I was left with the same opinion as your. That thin plastic shroud NEEDS some insulation when the temps are up. Mine are 06 vintage units and I was just able to get them apart for the cleaning. Dont think I'll do it again, the plastic will not take another round of disassembly. It was getting brittle already. Thought about just spray foaming them? Will have to go take a look at this reflectix material.

04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat Subaru pwr
06 Rhino
06 Raptor 700
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me

Don & Linda

Western PA / Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BBdawg, I've got a funny feeling that you may the the first to attempt this type of remedy. (The forum may let you know if your mod is unique) Shading an A/C unit, without trapping internal heat should always be a plus. You may be on to something good, possibly damaging or perhaps null.

Your short term observations sound promising. I hope it cures an ill and doesn't cause one. Too bad, you didn't have in housing operating temps (prior to mod) to compare with after mod. (just a thought)

Hope it works, Don (Too many years, in mobile A/C install and repair, but little knowledge of rv roof top units)

ctpres

SAN BERNARD RIVER VALLEY, Needville , TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 06:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to think about your mod. One I am going to do is insulate the roof top air return duct. I just can't understand why not done by mfg. Im am talking about the front end of rooftop unit where air is pulled from the ceiling and directed to the coils. That section of duct is just thin plastic on our Carrier.

A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Foreman Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA
with
Headhoncho Suzie
BAR-BOB Ranch, San Barnard River Valley, Texas
2010 Damon Daybreak Classic 32'
1990 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2012 Vilano Tuono road bike

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don & Linda wrote:

...Would insulating your roof top A/C cover, help trap excessive heat around the compressor?

The condenser fan will move hot air from both the condenser coil and the compressor out the vents. As long as the airflow isn't blocked, there won't be anything to worry about.

Jeannie

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Added Reflextix to Roof A/C and Exterior Vent covers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS