RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Directv local channels?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Directv local channels?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
dbro60

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you all get locals on an in motion system?

Dave Brown
Looking to Live the Dream

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can but why? I don't watch the news when I'm out so I just took the reg. pkg and get 2 DC and 1 Chicago. It will cost extra also if you ask for local.

houtrz

Lake Jackson Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should get your "local" channels with in so many miles of your house, say a hundred mile diameter or so of where your "locals" are broadcast from. Once outside that area you will lose them. If you travel outside your area some people will call Dish/DirecTV and have their service moved to where they physically are. Works for some but not for me. I have Dish Network however I have a separate paid service with All American Direct that will give me two sets of network feeds from New York and the Bay Area California. I get ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox no matter where I go in the USA for $150 per year. It might be higher since last year but close.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 11:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In answer to your question, yes you can get locals on an in-motion dish. That said, with DirecTV, if the receiver is mounted in your RV, and you have an RV account, and you fill out the RV FCC waiver, you can subscribe, at additional cost, ($15/mo) to either the West Coast or East Coast feeds but not both....Your satellite dome will receive the signals, but the service must be activated to view them...if you take the receiver from your home and put it in your coach it will only work if you're within the spot beam of your local network.....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
Chevy HHR W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

houtrz

Lake Jackson Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis, if you add the RV account to your existing account and keep one receiver in the house and one in the RV, will the house receiver lose your regular locals or will you have your regular locals plus the east or west coast feeds?

I actually have two seperate accounts. One with Dish Network and one with All American Direct. I get my regular locals on both receivers but when my RV is outside the spot beam area I lose them but then I have both east and west coast feeds that are on all the time no matter where I am.

harleyman1340

Marietta, Ga, US

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is my understanding that your "in motion" antenna will only pick up the signal from two sat's, it is also my understanding that SOME local stations broadcast from a sat that your in motion antenna does not pick up. I have no personal experience with this but info I received from a sat dealer. My limited research in this area leads me to believe this info to be correct.

Sonny, Anita and Phoebe
2005 Mountain Aire 4304
2005 F150 Crew Cab Toad
2009 Harley Ultra Classic

Daboo

Texas Panhandle USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

according to DirecTV..your local stations cannot be received beyond 120 miles from your home location...we screwed up, because we subscribed to "locals" and then were told after the 30 day period, that this was the case...they don't tell you up front about the 100-150 mile radius bleep...so now, the bottom line, we are paying for local stations from Directv, when we could be picking them up free on an outside antenna...live and learn

Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

randco

Somewhere in time

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harleyman1340 wrote:

It is my understanding that your "in motion" antenna will only pick up the signal from two sat's, it is also my understanding that SOME local stations broadcast from a sat that your in motion antenna does not pick up. I have no personal experience with this but info I received from a sat dealer. My limited research in this area leads me to believe this info to be correct.

WE have Directv and the in motion system will receive the Local signal that is spot beamed to a specific area. As someone else said, "about a 100 miles" or so from our residence.

We cannot receive HD channels with our in motion dome.

harleyman1340

Marietta, Ga, US

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

randco wrote:

harleyman1340 wrote:

WE have Directv and the in motion system will receive the Local signal that is spot beamed to a specific area. As someone else said, "about a 100 miles" or so from our residence.

We cannot receive HD channels with our in motion dome.

I got the following from Wikipedia

In the largest markets, local channels are carried on the satellite at 101°W. In some smaller markets, the local channels are carried on a second satellite located at 119°W which requires a slightly larger dish with two or three LNBs or the newer Ka/Ku 5-LNB dish. In a few smaller markets, local stations are located on a satellite at 72.5°W that requires a second dish to be installed.

If you happen to be in a market where the locals are on the 119 sat you will not be able to get the locals with an in motion antenna even if you are in the center of the spot beam.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Directv local channels?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS