|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Shorter 5th wheel with large water and waste tanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mike-uswest

Central Point, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am at the point where my "classic" 1994 Alpenlite is going to need some work, and we were trying to decide if we should look at a newer model or keep with what has been a good unit for us. If we go newer we would want a slide in the living room, at least 60 gallon water, and close on the gray, with about 40 on the black, with nothing over 29 feet. We have looked at the Cougars, and they fit if 2008 or newer, but we don't want to spend so much that we just have to look at it in our driveway because we can't afford to take it out. So we want to keep our eyes open for a good one from 2004 to 2009 that would meet our needs and not be super expensive. Looking for suggestions.

Mike

2003 Dodge 2500 CTD, 4X4,
1994 Alpenlite 26'fifth wheel
See picture in profile.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike-uswest wrote:

I am at the point where my "classic" 1994 Alpenlite is going to need some work, and we were trying to decide if we should look at a newer model or keep with what has been a good unit for us. If we go newer we would want a slide in the living room, at least 60 gallon water, and close on the gray, with about 40 on the black, with nothing over 29 feet. We have looked at the Cougars, and they fit if 2008 or newer, but we don't want to spend so much that we just have to look at it in our driveway because we can't afford to take it out. So we want to keep our eyes open for a good one from 2004 to 2009 that would meet our needs and not be super expensive. Looking for suggestions.

Mike

Most of the ones with large tanks seem to be toy haulers, since they are geared towards boondocking. I do like the Cougar High Country, but a 28 gallon black tank? Get real, Keystone.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 56 Year Member

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at an Arctic Fox 27-5L? Quality made rig, solid value but little "splash". Made there in Oregon, so there should be lots of dealers, plus the factory isn't too far.

Fresh is 76 gallons, two grey tanks at 35 and one black also at 35 gallons

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Billieg2

Lake Wales Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 3 slide is like a condo. Very comfortable and reliable. Get a newer one with at least 2 slides...

In my life I've spent my money on women, booze, Harleys, guitars and traveling, the rest I just wasted...

2007 Ford F-350 diesel/dually & Sunnybrook Titan KSRV 39-1 Toy hauler 5th wheel hauling my custom Harley

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 11:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I found that was close is a 2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 25.5 5er, it has 46 gallon fresh, 65 grey and 33 black...is 28' 11" long. 10,000 gvwr and 7500 dry. around 21K used.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 02:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at some Forest River 5ers. Our 09 Wildcat is 29 feet and has 60 gallon fresh/50 gray/50 gray and 50 black and we have 2 slides. We got it not far from you @ River City in Grants Pass.

cpaulsen

mike-uswest

Central Point, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are interesting, thank you. That brings up another necessity, it must be a rear living area. I want as few slides as possible. I would have none, but my wife would like a little more room in the living room area. If you have no slides, they don't leak. We spend a lot of our time drycamping in the woods, so there often isn't a lot of space for a slide out. I do like the water available in them though.

Mike

Keith M

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going from an Alpenlite to a Cougar is a step down in quality. You are going from a snowbird rig to a weekend rig. I would find the space for a slide . I have always increased water capacity by carrying 4-7gallon jugs.

A short rear-living unit with a full slide is going to be hard to find. Finding a quality built rig like an Alpenlite, mid-line Jayco, etc narrows the field a bit. Heres a rig that fits the slide/rear living, under 28. Its a 1999 Holiday Rambler. They didnt make many of these. Check this one out

rbp111

Citrus Heights, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps you would like to purchase another Alpenlite. I know what you are going through, as we have a 2003 Alpenlite Valhalla, which is listed as 29 feet, actually it measures 30 ft 10 in. The fresh water tank is 100 gal, and the gray water tanks are all 50 gals.

A used Alpenlite is worth about $16k. Just a thought.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replied, totally forgetting that I take 2 7gal water jugs with me on my annual family boondock campout. If needed, I set one on the tailgate of my truck, hook the hose up and fill away. Have only needed 1 jug a couple times since '04, mostly 'cause we have a bathroom that the ladies like to use. :-) You can also get bladders that you could put in your truck bed to do the same thing.

Lyle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Shorter 5th wheel with large water and waste tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS