RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Good Sam Insurance: Trouble with Good Sam Insurance (GMAC)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Insurance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Insurance

> Trouble with Good Sam Insurance (GMAC)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TravelMinistry

RV Park

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some time ago, I wrote to Good Sam concerning an unresolved dispute I had with my trailer insurance. Although I sent the letter twice to different addresses, I never received a reply. More recently, I sent a copy of the letter to Marcus Lemonis, but also did not receive a reply. I discussed the matter with one of the Sambassadors, and he suggested I send Marcus an E-Mail, which I did - still no reply.

This is a copy of the letter:

November 3, 2011

Mr. Marcus A. Lemonis
Chairman & CEO
Good Sam Club
2575 Vista Del Mar Drive
Ventura, CA 93001

Dear Mr. Lemonis,

I understand you recently became head of the Good Sam Club, and desire to make changes to improve the organization. A while ago, I had a dispute with Good Sam Insurance which was never satisfactorily resolved. I wrote to Sue Bray asking her for help, but never received a reply. I have met Sue Bray at Samborees, and she is a very nice person, so I was surprised when there was no response.

A copy of the letter is enclosed, and I believe it is self-explanatory. I sent the letter twice, so I believe it had to have been received.

Sincerely yours,

Chaplain Jim Houchens

------------------------------------------------

September 18, 2009

Sue Bray
Executive Director
Good Sam Club
64 Inverness Drive East
Englewood, CO 80112

Dear Sue,

I am writing to you to convey a problem I am having with Good Sam RV Insurance. I put a message on the Good Sam website under “contact me,” but did not receive a reply.

Since acquiring my 5th wheel in 2002, I have paid the premiums to Good Sam Insurance in good faith. In July, I had my coach at the Jayco factory in Middlebury, Indiana, for service. They informed me that they had discovered serious water damage with dry rot in the area surrounding the slideout. They estimated cost of repair would exceed the value of the trailer – between $10,000 – 11,000, according to the NADA website. They suggested I file an insurance claim, and referred me to another local Certified Repair Technician for a second opinion.

The repair technician inspected the trailer thoroughly and confirmed the damage estimate done by Jayco. He stated that the roof was in good condition, and could not determine the source of the water leak. None of the caulk seals looked suspicious.

Good Sam/GMAC Insurance sent out an appraiser who inspected and measured my trailer. He was not a certified repair technician. He did not inspect the roof. I told him the roof was re-sealed and coated with Black Jack two years ago.

GMAC subsequently sent a letter dated July 29 stating that the claim was denied based on a failed seal on the roof.

I wrote back and informed them the appraiser didn’t go up on the roof, and would have no idea what it looked like. I also stated that the trailer had been well maintained, and most of the service work was done by the factory or Jayco dealers. I reminded them that the Certified Repair Technician could not find a bad seal.

They wrote again on August 6 and said they were denying the claim due to wear and tear, and that their “RV Manager” agreed.

It appears that they had decided in advance to deny the claim, and were searching for a reason to justify their action. I do not believe that water damage is wear (normal deterioration caused by repeated use) or tear (damage cause by improper or excessive use).

I think this is wrong and not in keeping with the philosophy of the Good Samaritan. Needless to say, I do not intend to renew my insurance with Good Sam. I am asking you to look into this. Are you endorsing a poor quality product to your members?

I wrote GMAC a formal demand letter as required prior to initiating legal action. I am not in a position to absorb the cost of total loss of the trailer.

Sincerely yours,

Chaplain Jim Houchens
Florida Chapter 161
Good Sam Member No. 49731672

rjsd1

NW Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think that something that happened over a extended period of time would be covered by a insurance policy. Maybe a extended warranty but not insurance.

From my Progressive rv policy list of EXCLUSIONS.
vehicle;
8. to any vehicle that is due and confined to:
a. wear and tear;
b. prior loss or damage;
c. manufacturing defects;
d. improper or lack of routine maintenance, or failure to perform maintenance as prescribed by the manufacturer;
e. contamination, pollutants, odors, sewage, or waste;
f. freezing;
g. gradual accumulation of snow or ice on a vehicle;
h. scorching, marring, scratching, or breakage of internal equipment or furnishings whether permanently attached or not. However, this exclusion does not apply to:
(i)
scorching,
marring, scratching or breakage caused by malicious mischief, vandalism, riot, civil commotion, fire, or lightning; or
(ii)
breakage
of glass which is permanently a part of or attached to the covered vehicle;
i. mechanical or electrical breakdown or failure; or
j. road damage to tires.
This exclusion does not apply if the damage results from the theft of a vehicle;
9. to any vehicle caused directly or indirectly by any of the following:
a. water leakage or seepage unless caused by any other loss covered under this Part I;
b. wet or dry rot;
c. rust or corrosion;
d. dampness of atmosphere or extremes of temperature; or
e. deterioration.
T
his exclusion does not apply to sudden and immediate damage caused by the failure or breakage of a hot water heater, fresh water or wastewater plumbing system, dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine, or similar appliance;

* This post was edited 06/29/12 09:59am by rjsd1 *

2011 F350 XLT CC DRW 2wd
08 Crossroads Cruiser 30sk

rjsd1

NW Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sgip2000 wrote:

rjsd1 wrote:

I don't think that something that happened over a extended period of time would be covered by a insurance policy. Maybe a extended warranty but not insurance.

vehicle;
a. wear and tear;
b. prior loss or damage;
d. improper or lack of routine maintenance, or failure to perform maintenance as prescribed by the manufacturer;
f. freezing;
h. scorching, marring, scratching, or breakage of internal equipment or furnishings whether permanently attached or not. However, this exclusion does not apply to:
(i)
scorching,
marring, scratching or breakage caused by malicious mischief, vandalism, riot, civil commotion, fire, or lightning; or
(ii)
breakage
j. road damage to tires.
This exclusion does not apply if the damage results from the theft of a vehicle;
a. water leakage or seepage unless caused by any other loss covered under this Part I;
b. wet or dry rot;
c. rust or corrosion;
e. deterioration.
T
his exclusion does not apply to sudden and immediate damage caused by the failure or breakage of a hot water heater, fresh water or wastewater plumbing system, dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine, or similar appliance;

What does your policy cover?

Most rv policies will read about the same. Problem is nobody ever reads thier policy book. They just assume things work the way they think they should.

mlemonis

lincolnshire, IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked tonight and I have no email from you

Marcus Lemonis
Chairman and CEO FreedomRoads, Camping World and RVs.com

weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont know of any insurance company that would cover something like that unless maybe there was part of a tree sticking thru the roof, storm damage or signs of it being in a flood. Best of luck to you.

Full timing it since July 2012 My pics

sgip2000

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjsd1 wrote:

vehicle;
a. wear and tear;
b. prior loss or damage;
f. freezing;
(i)
scorching,
(ii)
breakage
j. road damage to tires.
b. wet or dry rot;
c. rust or corrosion;
e. deterioration.
T

What does your policy cover?

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gradual deterioration, damage from undetected water infiltration, and such are usually not covered by vehicle insurance. But your best bet is to read your policy and see for yourself what is covered and what is not.

Your definitions of wear and tear may not be consistent with the policy's definitions. The written contract holds sway over the transaction, not your mental perceptions of what you think it covers (or should cover). Read the policy... or have a lawyer friend review it for you.

I know you don't want to get anything that you don't really have coming, but you want to pursue what is legitimately yours. So you need to find out what the contract says you should have coming.

neil.hank202

Colorado City

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 01:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the AARP RV insurance. I think it’s very important for you to ask your insurance provider about what it covers. I doubt your insurance will cover damage caused over a period of time. Good luck anyway!

TravelMinistry

RV Park

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Lemonis, here is a copy of the Eail:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: mlemonis@e.goodsamclub.com
Sent: 5/19/2012 9:51:24 A.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: Your recent Eail

Dear Mr. Lemonis,

Actually, you did not hear my feedback. Some time ago, I sent you a copy of a letter sent to Good Sam concerning an unresolved dispute I had with Good Sam Insurance. I never received a reply, although the letter was sent three times to various addresses.

I would like to discuss the matter with you, and would appreciate a return message by phone or Eail.

Sincerely,

Chaplain Rev. Jim Houchens
Good Sam No. 49731672

NEW Member Discounts at CampingWorld.com! View This Email Online | On a Mobile Device

Dear James,

I want to thank you for being a Good Sam member. It's wonderful
members like you who are dedicated toward helping your fellow man that encourages and inspires me in leading the direction of this Club.

I also want to thank you for your valuable feedback. As you know, when I receive such feedback from members, I act on it. I've heard your requests for MORE exclusive offers and MORE savings at CampingWorld.com. So as a result, I am pleased to present you with exciting NEW discounts that you now receive as a Good Sam member.

Roger_in_Colorado

Englewood, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelMinistry wrote:

GMAC subsequently sent a letter dated July 29 stating that the claim was denied based on a failed seal on the roof.

GMAC does not enjoy a good reputation for good claims handling practices. Technically, unless they can prove the reason for denial of your claim it is considered by the Colorado Division of Insurance to be "Bad Faith" and is actionable for that reason. Finding an attorney to handle a small case like this however is something else. You might try filing and on-line complaint with them.

Another trick in their bag of not so nice claims practices is when they go behind your back and deal with your repair shop to tell them they must use after market parts, most of which now is made in China and Mexico.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Insurance

> Trouble with Good Sam Insurance (GMAC)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Insurance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS