RV.Net Open Roads Forum: quick satellite question/setup before my 4th trip, doh!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> quick satellite question/setup before my 4th trip, doh!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dropabomb

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
So were tired of having nothing to watch for the kids before bed, i could really enjoy a tiger game. So, im currently a Direct Tv home user so i bought a oval dish that has 3 little things on the end, but when i open it up, there are actually 4 'outputs' for my cable wire, does that make sense? i just assume the 3 little circle things on the dish meant i could have 3 connections? thoughts? Anyway, next i get a tripod stand to hold it up. Get it all hooked up and go into my living room, disconnect my current setup which is a dual line setup for my DVR service. Anyway, disconnect both coax cables and plug the one in that goes to my portable dish. Go into setup on my directv HD box and go into sat setup and then into signal test. Now, i never get anything, even though i can see my home dish on the roof and my portable is now facing the same way. Do i need another piece of equipment or can someone help me understand what im doing wrong. DO i have to go in and change the setup on my home direct tv box? I hate to do this if i dont have to as that means ill have to reset it when i return home. Was kinda hoping to just plug it all in, point the dish and turn on some espn. Thoughts or help? Of course were going away for the 4th here so im waiting to the last minute to test my application. Thanks again!

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You going to take the home DVR with you. is it an HDDVR? These have a little box added to each cable.
I would find an old round dish with a single or dual LNB. That's the little things on the end of the dish.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

denverhank

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW! First off, on your receiver, what is the dish set up for at home? I'm guessing SWM. Your dish that you bought is probably a SLA3, multiswitch model which means you will have to change your receiver settings in order to work. And being pointed in the general direction of your home dish just won't work (although it might help). You'll need either a tuning meter or go to the satellite setup page in settings and watch the tuning meter.
Don't give up, it can be done.

2003 Ford F-250 King Ranch 4x4 6L PSD
2012 Jayco 31.5FBHS
DW and an African Grey chatterbox
retired IT tech

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Directv.com has setup instructions.

* This post was edited 06/29/12 10:57pm by 2oldman *

edatlanta

Central Alabama - Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 05:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First you have to make absolutely certain your tripod mount is absolutely vertical. I use a bubble level.
You have to know the azimuth, elevation, and skew/tilt of where to "look" for the sat. The skew/tilt is set using the gauge on the side of your new dish. The elevation is set using the gauge on the sat also (which will be tweaked after you find sat 101). The azimuth needed is found in the sat sat setup routine on your receiver. Before you actually aim the antenna you need to make sure your antenna is selected on your receiver. As far as the 4 leads are concerned, they are all the same. Pick one. Find sat 101 and then tweak for the others. I set mine up in 10 minutes or less. It gets easy with practice.

Ed

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

schneid

In the Wind

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you bought an "oval" dish with "three little circle things" and "four outputs", it sounds like it might be a non-SWM Slimline. But, it could be a Dish dish or a a DirecTV Phase III.

Until you tell us what you are using at home, dish and receiver, and what you are taking camping we can't be much help. Are you HD or SD, what receiver Rxx, Dxx, Hxx, or HRxx? What kind of dish is on your house? Go into settings on the box and tell us what kind of dish it says you have.

SolidSignal Dish Chart

There are too many variables to answer based on what you have given us.

Edlanta has good advice for once you have the right dish. If so, you may need BBC's.

I recommend starting out with a duplication of your home setup.

dropabomb

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hi,
first thank you all for even reading my post, and most thanks for all the tips. Im going to get the requested info and ill post tonite when i get time and hopefully we can get it worked out. Thanks again and ill repost updates in a while today.

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE just called Directv and ordered another receiver and card and leave it in the RV. Get the basic model. It's worth it for another $6 per month not to have to hook up and set up each time.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

schneid

In the Wind

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Basic meaning SD or HD? If it is an H25 (HD) it is SWM only and won't work with your four output LNB if that is an SL5/Slimline. If SD, your dish/LNB is overkill. just need an 18" round.

dropabomb

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok, looked up some of my info, here it is, please let me know if you know where i should go from here to get it working?

Azimuth /212
elevation/ 38
tilt / 71

Dish Type /04 Slimline -5
Switch Type /02 Multiswitch
Tuners /Dual

So, again, i have a 3lnb hd oval type dish i want to hook up to it. Yes, i currently have HD with a dual tuner, but would like to only use a single when i camp. Thanks for all the great help!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> quick satellite question/setup before my 4th trip, doh!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS