RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I just bought my first camper, here are my plans. Advice?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I just bought my first camper, here are my plans. Advice?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Logan80

Spanaway, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was something we contemplated. Making two skinny beds based off of the side areas. But when we measured it out they would only really be about 20" wide unless I wanted to really compromise the middle section with semi-permanent beds.

I decided that one wide bed area with a queen sized (although shortened) Futon type mattress would be the most comfortable.

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've also seen beds that pivot up on hinges to fold up. That might work.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 12:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see why with that short a camper you'd probably end up hanging out ON the tailgate as a seat, like you are suppose to in a pickup, right? The cooler inside the camper in the shade within easy reach? I like it.

Some sort of awning arrangement - maybe a bag type or similar homemade covering the tailgate/entry would probably be useful if the tailgate is the hangout spot.

Maybe a casette toilet stored under the bed at the front? One real pleasure of having a camper is having a bathroom whever you go!

Have fun with it!

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

17oaks

17 Oaks Ranch

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

?

How much does the slide in weigh? Can two people managed to slide it in/out, set it down on the ground etc or will it stay in perm???

Don
17 Oaks Ranch, Texas
US Army (RET)
'11 F350 4x4, CC, LWB, DRW, Lariat
AF 1150, solar, satellite
Vietnam Combat Veteran

Logan80

Spanaway, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's pretty heavy, but me and two friends took it out and set it on sawhorses then put it back. I can drag it back by myself, but can't obviously lift it. I'd think two people could *probably* manage it.

I'll likely just leave it in however, it's not heavy enough or big enough to cause me any trouble.

Logan80

Spanaway, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 02:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, not to sound like I'm ripping on anyone here, but I intend to go camping, not RVing.

I want a warm, dry, fairly comfortable place to sleep after a long day of hunting, fishing, or hiking.

I'm not looking for luxury or anything like that. I'm adding a few small nice things that will make life a bit easier, but in the end my camper is not much more than a hard sided tent.

I want to use the tailgate for either a seat or most likely a table for my bbq, I might get a porta-potty, but more likely just a 4 legged toilet seat and a shovel.

d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

... One real pleasure of having a camper is having a bathroom whever you go!...
Logan80 wrote:

Well, not to sound like I'm ripping on anyone here, but I intend to go camping, not RVing....

Hey Brian... haven't we drank many a beer discussing this very same issue? LOL LOL

(BTW- I fully admit that now with a toilet and shower in my current camper that I am RV'g where ever I am at as opposed to my first pop-up that had neither in which I was camping back then...even if I am at a same location that I stayed with either camper) LOL LOL

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
2008 NorthStar Arrow short bed.

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

btggraphix wrote:

... One real pleasure of having a camper is having a bathroom whever you go!...
Logan80 wrote:

Well, not to sound like I'm ripping on anyone here, but I intend to go camping, not RVing....

Hey Brian... haven't we drank many a beer discussing this very same issue? LOL LOL

(BTW- I fully admit that now with a toilet and shower in my current camper that I am RV'g where ever I am at as opposed to my first pop-up that had neither in which I was camping back then...even if I am at a same location that I stayed with either camper) LOL LOL
Hey Frank and Brian. Yep, in a Truck Camper, I am RV'n. When I use to do roving patrol in NPS campgrounds, I hated RVs, as I was an avid backpacker and occasional cross country vagabond car camper. I spent many a night sleeping in and out of the 76 Blazer, sleeping on the ground. For me, I still backpack about 12 nights a year, but I know my place, in a Truck Camper, in that I "is' one of those ones I use to shake my head over. But, I do like to have a bathroom, bed and shower (when it is too cold outside to shower there). There is always a beer chilled and ready for any of you guys to stop by, a change of when I was camping, there was that chance it could be warm.

b

08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
600wSolar~8-6vGC2-928AmpH~Tri-Star45/4MPPT Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-240AmpH~Tri-Star45/4MPPT Xantrex 1500W
12 BMW R1200GS Adventure
06 Honda CRFX450
09 Haulmark Trlr

Logan80

Spanaway, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got the "bed" installed today, it's too dark for any pictures right now, but it turned out really good.

I used 6ft long 1"x3" boards down the sides and laid two 46"W x 36" L pieces of 1-1/8" plywood down the middle. It's VERY strong and perfectly flat. I do wish the plywood wasn't so heavy, but I didn't want it to flex much or risk it breaking with two adults inside laying on them.

I've decided to change up my 12v and 120v electrical plugin idea a bit. I bought a "project box" from Radio Shack that will house 2 12v receptacles and one dual plug 120v receptacle. This will make for a bit cleaner install and easier wiring.

I'll get to work on that project tomorrow I think..

* This post was edited 07/01/12 11:21pm by Logan80 *

Logan80

Spanaway, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 12:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some pictures of the bed/platform I built. It's extremely sturdy and should fit a shortened queen sized mattress perfectly.

As you can see I just kept it simple and used two pieces of wood with no hinges or attachments of any kind. They have been sitting there on their supports for a couple days now and many trips back and forth to different stores and haven't moved a bit. With a mattress on them they will be 100% secure.

A project I tackled today was the installation of a 2nd battery in my truck to run the camper off of.

I went to my local Pick 'N Pull wrecking yard and found a factory battery tray designed for the passenger side which is where the battery is from the factory. I was hoping to find a truck there with dual batteries, but no such luck.

I removed my charcoal canister and the bracket for it first. I then took the support piece that goes from the tray down to the inner fender off and drilled the tray and my inner fender. Once I had the flat tray mounted I bent the support piece and drilled another hole in the inner fender for it to mount to. I lined it up with the tab on the side of the flat tray and drilled another hole to bolt the tray to the bracket again. I used the two factory holes that were in the bracket to remount my charcoal canister bracket and canister. Overall I've really happy with how it turned out for a quick fab-job with fairly limited tools.

My father had a battery isolator laying around that he'd actually purchased for this truck with the intention of wiring it to charge the batteries in a camp trailer he once owned. I got that from him today and will need to install that soon. I also need to wire from the battery to the bed of my truck with a plug for the camper.

I think the next step is to finish the truck end of things then move back into the camper and wire it the rest of the way and install my accessories.

I'm taking it camping this Friday, so it's keeping me busy for sure!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I just bought my first camper, here are my plans. Advice?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS