|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Fresh cilantro

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know cilantro is used in homemade salsa but how else do you use it ? I planted some this year for the first time. It's beginning to flower, so should I nip off the blossoms ?

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't want it to bolt. I'm not a fan of celantro but it goes well with anything Mexican. Try it in your Chili recipe,you can make a pesto out of it, if you like that. I think its an aquired taste so go easy at first. If it does bolt, I think you can save and use the seeds - coriander.

Our Road Less Traveled

BajaLinda

Full timing

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never, ever, cook it in a recipe. It has no taste to me that way. I sprinkle it on top before serving. I love cilantro.

SWMO

Southwest Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like cilantro, but it got too hot too early here this year. You do want to cut off the tops.

2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

vic46

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use chopped fresh celantro on salmon filets with some Kikomann soy sauce. Place salmon on aluminium foil after brushing both sides lightly with butter. Drizzle a littel soy on the flesh side and rub in. Add chopped celantro, seal up and BBQ. Quick cook say, 3 or 4 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the filets. If using sockeye, cook time is much less. Serve with a savory rice pilaff and a tossed green salad.
Vic

Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used some in a Chicken recipe last week....don't know if it made much difference. It was part of a marinade, and quite good. Sorry, I don't have the recipe with me, so can't post it now.

I guess if you've got it, and want to find uses, you could always do a Google Search: "Cilantro Recipes"

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Leo Benson

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use it in Thai type dishes. Make cold sesame noodles with peanut butter, sesame oil, beef stock, touch of honey, rice wine vinegar, chopped chives and cilantro. Yummy on noodles or on grilled chicken.

SWMO

Southwest Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RichnLinda wrote:

I never, ever, cook it in a recipe. It has no taste to me that way. I sprinkle it on top before serving. I love cilantro.

I agree. If you take your favorite store bought salsa and add fresh onion and cilantro, it is amazing what a difference it will make.

Bigfoot85

The Great North American West

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use it fresh ... on top of salmon or any fish dish, any chicken dish, in any cream sauce, tacos, salsa, salad dressings ... anyplace you might put parsley. Use the leaves, not the stems ... and once it flowers it gets tough. It is also called coriander ... either the leaves or the seeds. When the seeds are crushed, it tastes different than the leaves ... slightly lemon like. Gotta use the fat round leaves, once it bolts the leaves get slim and long - not as tasty.

Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0, 4.10 manual

BigBoy11

Chambersburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually a good idea to plant or buy another plant after about 6-8 weeks as once it starts to bolt, it gets stronger tasting. I usually start some seeds about 2 weeks apart all spring and summer as the warmer the weather, the faster it bolts. I like to "sprinkle" it on just about any Mexican dish but especially tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, well, just about anything Mexican!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Fresh cilantro
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS