|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cleaning refer flu

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1995 682IM Norcold refrigerator and can't see how to clean the flu. It appears that it has a sheet metal right angle, like a baffle over the top of the flue so I could not get a flue brush from the top of the M/H to clean it. My friend has a Domectic and you can look right down the flu and see daylight. He uses a shot gun brush from the top to clean it. With this Norcold do I have to remove the unit to clean the flu? Any help would be appreciated .

crickeydog

Marietta, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a flexible pressure nozzel and blow our refer vent out from the bottom with my air compressor.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!

USAF RETIRED 1992 "EITHER LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUTTA THE WAY":
DEPT OF DEFENSE RETIRED 2014
D/W DEPT OF JUSTICE RETIRED 2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT, AKA: "THE SILVER FOX" & "THE ROAD LOCOMOTIVE"

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRES, 30 SCD 5'ER

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lots of bed rest.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crickydog, I have been doing the same thing but wanted to remove the baffle and really give it a good cleaning.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last one I cleaned I just tapped along the length of the pipe with the handle of a screwdriver, and all the carbon just flaked off and fell out. Well, OK, most of it, enough so the frig worked much better, anyway.
Just light tapping did the job, there was no need to use a hammer and beat the thing to death!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Kiwi_too

Western, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a dryer vent brush and portable drill.

May God bless your travels

Me, The Wonderful Wife
and two Spastic Border Collies
U.S. Army Retired
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
2007 Saturn Outlook, FROG

michahicks

Waterford/Gaylord, Mi

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I have a 1995 682IM Norcold refrigerator and can't see how to clean the flu. It appears that it has a sheet metal right angle, like a baffle over the top of the flue so I could not get a flue brush from the top of the M/H to clean it. My friend has a Domectic and you can look right down the flu and see daylight. He uses a shot gun brush from the top to clean it. With this Norcold do I have to remove the unit to clean the flu? Any help would be appreciated .

In addition to the "baffle" on top of the flue, many (most?) of them have a twisted piece of metal suspended by a long piece of wire so it hangs just above the burner - to slow down/help hold some heat where it'll do the most good. The area above that is just chimney.

Bottom line, you need to slide the refer out of the cabinet to clean that flue pipe, and that's not a bad plan on one of that age. Shot gun brush works great. It's not too unusual to see a large flake of rust beak loose on the inside of that pipe, then drop down on that baffle or the burner itself, and make the refer inop. on propane.

1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Micahicks, I was afraid that I would have to remove the whole thing in order to clean it. I started with the tapping routine as Mowertech suggested after seeing a lot of rust flakes falling on the burner tube preventing it from lighting. I then made a tool for compressed air which seems to get more rust out. I knew about the spiral baffle and really wanted to remove it to see if the was anything left. I was thinking that if it was rusted out pretty badly the refer would not be as efficient.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there any helpful hints on pulling the refer out. Is there anything that I should look for or repair/replace while it is out? The unit is 16 years old.

JC2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Is there any helpful hints on pulling the refer out. Is there anything that I should look for or repair/replace while it is out? The unit is 16 years old.

If you have an icemaker, consider replacing the plastic supply line to it with a copper one.

2004 Newmar DSDP 4015,370hp Cummins ISL,Spartan MM Chassis,2008 Saturn Vue,FMCA #402879

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cleaning refer flu
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS