RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Older Class A fire on I-40WB, Canton NC

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Older Class A fire on I-40WB, Canton NC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Handbasket

Asheville, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 01/17/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/30/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was eastbound on I-40 earlier this afternoon near Canton NC when I noticed some thin blackish smoke rising a few miles ahead. Not a real good day for open burning, folks. Woods are getting dry around here. But it didn't look like smoke from a woods fire. As I got closer, the smoke got bigger and darker pretty fast, and it became obvious it was on the interstate.

Sure enough, a boxy older class A was off on the other shoulder, rapidly becoming engulfed. It still had a tow dolly attached, but I think the toad was the minivan parked four-down a few yards behind, so it was probably safe.

The fire dept hadn't arrived at the time I went by, but I saw one fire truck close, working its way up the shoulder. There was an NCDOT breakdown service pickup on scene, but there's not much he could do in that situation. There was a multi-mile traffic backup west bound already.

The fire appeared to have started at or near the rear. I'm pretty sure everybody got out OK. There were people standing around looking concerned but no one I saw looked panicky or distraught. There was the beginning of a maybe-serious grass and woods fire.

My sympathies to those involved.

Jim


'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

Senior Member

Joined: 07/22/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/30/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was a bad day for them. Saw a total burn out of a very large MH in a towing yard about 4 miles north of Murray Ky on the west side just behind the fence on US 641 which is four lanes.

We were offically 108F hear yesterday (today too it looks like) and that is hard on equipment and there is no way to stay in a MH with out running all of the air the gen set can handle.

PM to the max is about all one can do if driving in this.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/06/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/30/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It always amazes me when I read these MH fires and so many of the owners are able to get their toads off in time to keep them from going up in flames also.

I don't know what type of tow bars they have but I doubt I could get mine off in time if the MH was engulfed in flames. The darn pins have to be really straight for them to come off easily, and add to the fact that mine has an extra set of hooks where the key barely fits between.

Glad these people were ok though.


We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.



wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

Senior Member

Joined: 05/01/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 06/30/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

It always amazes me when I read these MH fires and so many of the owners are able to get their toads off in time to keep them from going up in flames also.

I don't know what type of tow bars they have but I doubt I could get mine off in time if the MH was engulfed in flames. The darn pins have to be really straight for them to come off easily, and add to the fact that mine has an extra set of hooks where the key barely fits between.

Glad these people were ok though.


He said it had a tow dolly.


Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2014 Ford Focus(Toad)


MrWizard

Traveling

Moderator

Joined: 06/27/2004

View Profile



Posted: 06/30/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if I pulled a toad four down
and had a fire
I would not muck with pins
I would pull the hitch ball or whatever connection
through it in reverse and drag the damn tow bar on the road
I could unhook the toad from the bar after it was safe
do it the fast easy way first

as for a dolly that's easy unhook or cut the straps and get off in a hurry


Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother
....

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus


Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 06/30/12 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

if I pulled a toad four down
and had a fire
I would not muck with pins
I would pull the hitch ball or whatever connection
through it in reverse and drag the damn tow bar on the road
I could unhook the toad from the bar after it was safe
do it the fast easy way first

as for a dolly that's easy unhook or cut the straps and get off in a hurry

Exactly! If the need arises, my plan is to drop the safety cables at the coach end, pull the single pin holding the tow bar in the receiver and back away ripping the electrical cable loose. I can clean up the rest later on.


Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate


bblake57

Northern Virginia

New Member

Joined: 12/02/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/02/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was a few minutes behind the OP, when I went past, there were a couple of fire dept hoses on the RV. It WAS a Winnebago pusher, looked like the fire started in the engine. Mostly just frame was left at that point. It was a hot day, 98 degrees, so not sure if that was part of the cause of the fire.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/06/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/02/12 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

MrWizard wrote:

if I pulled a toad four down
and had a fire
I would not muck with pins
I would pull the hitch ball or whatever connection
through it in reverse and drag the damn tow bar on the road
I could unhook the toad from the bar after it was safe
do it the fast easy way first

as for a dolly that's easy unhook or cut the straps and get off in a hurry

Exactly! If the need arises, my plan is to drop the safety cables at the coach end, pull the single pin holding the tow bar in the receiver and back away ripping the electrical cable loose. I can clean up the rest later on.


Sadly (albeit to prevent theft) I have a locking hitch pin which makes me wonder if I would have the where with all to be able to unlock IT dodging flames!

Food for thought reading your in case of emergency plan though. Might rethink the locking hitch pin.

Quick trip

Cerritos, Ca.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/02/12 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why bother with a locking hitch pin while you are traveling down the road?
The time to put it on is when you are going to be gone for awhile?
Good Luck & Drive Safe!





dogwood36322

Southeast USA

Full Member

Joined: 08/03/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/02/12 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad wekend for RV's. Wife was stuck in traffic north of Nashville on I65 yesterday. Dodge truck pulling RV crossed median head-on into a Buick at mile marker 101. Killed the lady in the car and injured the lady and toddler in the tow truck. Did not say what caused the truck to cross the median.


Jim,
Retired US Army, Still training Army pilots at Ft. Rucker, Al.
2011 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7, B&W turnover hitch/5th wheel.
2008 Sandpiper 295RGD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Older Class A fire on I-40WB, Canton NC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS