|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Salesman Tactics sounding board plz

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
TaterSr

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found the Class C of our dreams in March. It's a 2012, perfect floor plan we've been looking for, kitchen all down one side, split bathroom, wardrobe all along a wall in bedroom instead of cabinets over the bed, which would be hard for someone with two knee replacements to get to every day. Has 2 slides & room for 2 toy dogs, place for cat. So many thoughtful touches we didn't see in other models/brands today.

We didn't want to buy it til fall & retire. My husb drives by it every day during work as a professional bus driver. We can't figure out why no one has bought it? He wanted to check out another dealer, where we went today.

That same unit for 2013 is $100,000 when this 2012 is $77,000. Is that believable? At the place today, no price signs were on anything (Camping World). I told the salesman I don't go along with that at all. He gave us some song & dance about how the sales force knows the prices, blah blah. The other place clearly has the prices in the window like a car dealer

Well, I called the first place to ask if there had been any price change on the 2012. He said it had actually gone up a bit but they will honor the price they quoted us in March. I asked how a unit could go UP if it sat on the lot 3 more months & he said there was a run on Class C's.

I was ready to go there before 6PM & buy it today. Husb said we'll go next week. It's 95 out right now & I don't want to push him. But I'm afraid IF it sells, our dream goes out the window because we can't afford a $100,000 model. It's 5:58PM.

Does any of this sound normal to you experienced folks? Why is that model not selling? My husb said a drain pipe under the shower was broken but they'll fix it. I read having a motorhome sit for long periods is the worst for it.

Would sure value your opinion(s) Thank you,

Mrs. Tater

earl2274

Lakeview, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, I'm just a novice myself, but experienced in "salesmen's tactics". Offer 60, see what they come back with, if it's more than 65 walk away. In today's economy, you rule, not them. Make sure the "problem" is totally fixed before you accept any kind of a deal. Life today in the good old USA is kind of a crapshoot. Look out for yourself, there is probably a better deal down the street, or down the road. Please, don't listen to salesman BS, because that is exactly what it is. They thrive on it. Don't wrap your future around their "word". That's what they want you to think. Best regards. and good luck!

jarhead65

LakeN

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure why you are waiting to buy......if you think the 2012 is the right unit for you :-)
You may want to list the make/model to elicit more specific comments.

'08 Toyota Tundra 5.7L with tow package/Prodigy
'12 Evergreen EverLite 31 RLS Compositek construction

TaterSr

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for comments so far. It's a Forest River Sunseeker 3010ds. We plan to retire 10/5/12 & head south - AZ etc. We are both working full-time, husb feels has no time/energy to travel until then. Although I pointed out that now that we're closer than we were in March, we should get it now. We could get used to the payments/budgeting & we have a week off in Aug. Maybe we could take a little trip then. We have a large house/yard to maintain & he has been working 14 hr split shift days. Too tired to come home week nights & do our chores so we can travel weekends. I am beat too ... work in Call Center. Not making excuses but we just know we don't have the strength to take off every weekend but I told him if we buy it now, we can practice test runs with our pets, etc. I should add we have never had an RV or stayed in one. Called a rental place & they never called back when I left a msg re do they allow two toy dogs along. We need to feel the real experience we will be living. I just told him maybe Sundays we could take mini trips like to the Outlet Mall or a nearby park to do test runs for The Big Trailer Trip like Desi & Lucy. Not.

Oh, also I can't believe we should offer $60,000 on a $77,000 unit or walk away? This is the only affordable model we've found & if we burn our bridges we have to start all over at Square One.

And, when we return from 4 mos south, we pretty much hope to put house on market/rent it out. We just don't know where we want to live if not here. A 55+ Mobile Home Community would be nice instead of a family subdivision with tons of kids to dodge when we drive in. A place with our own kind to meet neighbors & have activities. Unit won't be big enuf to live in full time year round.

Looking forward to more responses

motorcycle jack

FT all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the salesmans mouth was moving - he was not telling the truth . RV sales are way down, so he's trying to use high pressure tactics to move you on buying the unit. Even when they are selling units, the going price is around 20 - 25% less than the MSRP they list them at. I would do as suggested and offer them 60K, tell them they have 30 minutes to discuss it with their boss or you will be gone to the next dealer. You can do a search and find another dealer in the particular brand of RV you are looking at. You might even call them and ask if they have the particular model you are looking and what price they are asking for it.

John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A quick search of that model on RV Trader, appears some dealers are selling them mid 60's ($64,027 in MI, $64,700 PA).

Don't worry about burning bridges, don't get taken for an extra $5-$10K.

Good Luck!
Markiemark

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the 20 to 25% number is true, then the 100k 2013 model would be 75 to 80 and a year newer. Shoot them a low number. If they wont move and you want it, you can meet their number then. Good luck.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mrs Tater,

The difference in price is a complete lie. I can assume he is quoting MSRP for the newer RV vs the price they are selling the 2012. Get a build sheet from the dealer so you can see the MSRP of the RV and all options available (also at MSRP). Your target is 25% off MSRP. Settle for nothing less. You can also call (or go on line and contact) RVdirect.com and get a price on the same RV. They are a respectable outfit and many folks on this board have used them.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

TaterSr

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, I'm waiting for a quote from RV Direct. I really don't get how this works. I didn't know what options to check. Doesn't it come with a fridge? You check off each item you want? Like A/C? I didn't think that wasn't standard. So I marked a ready unit but they only have 2013 & it's in Iowa. I emailed if they have a way to ship it to us. Can't make it cross country at the moment. So will await response.

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a reality that the prices on new models in a new year will be higher than the same model in the previous year when ordered from the factory. Just like cars, prices go up on new models each year BUT not $23,000. If you are looking at a model on his lot then he is going to push that model so that he can clear out his inventory for the new models to come in - and when they do he is going to have to negotiate on a price lower than MSRP for the 2013.

When we were buying just over a year ago, we went to three dealers - and got three prices. We took the lowest price we got to the dealer of our choice and made it clear that if he wanted to make a sale, this was the price we were willing to pay - and he met that price. RV salesmen are like car salesman and they talk a lot, push what they want you to know, and make it sound like if you walk away today, it won't be there tomorrow. 99.9% of the time it will be there tomorrow - and if it has been sitting on his lot for 3 months and the new models are coming out you have a card to play to push the price down even further. Since you are looking to wait - and that is fine - don't make a purchase like this feeling rushed or pushed into a corner - wait until you are ready - but on a new model it is likely that the price will go up - but certainly not more than maybe $4,000 to $5,000 - and there will be room to negotiate then too.

If you are filling out a spec sheet from RV Direct, they are asking for everything that you want in the RV - even if it is standard equipment in the model they are quoting. See what they come back with - and if that figure is more in line with what you expected, use that figure to negotiate with a dealer near you. Again, don't let yourself be pushed to do anything until you are really ready.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Salesman Tactics sounding board plz
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: