RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Toyo 245/70r19.5 16 ply tire problem

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Toyo 245/70r19.5 16 ply tire problem

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
robertp777

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to clarify. The original tires were goodyear, they came with the motorhome. The only difference is that those tires were 14 ply and the Toyos M143 are 16 ply. Motorhome drove straigt and nerrow with the Goodyear and the only reason I changed tires was because the old tires were 7 years old. The feel of the new ones are that when I turn the wheel it seems like a long delay before the tires grab hold and turn, then I overcorrect its like fishtailing down the road

* This post was edited 07/01/12 02:01pm by robertp777 *

Tireman9

Akron, OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

robertp777 wrote:

Just to clarify. The original tires were goodyear, they came with the motorhome. The only difference is that those tires were 14 ply and the Toyos are 16 ply. Motorhome drove straigt and nerrow with the Goodyear and the only reason I changed tires was because the old tires were 7 years old. The feel of the new ones are that when I turn the wheel it seems like a long delay before the tires grab hold and turn, then I overcorrect its like fishtailing down the road

Other than manufacturer you do not mention the specific design. Tread pattern can have a significant impact on steering response.
See here for more info.

randallb

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get your pressures right! Your most recent statement tells me that you are indeed dealing with a tire reaction difference. Either the pressures are so far off that they are driving the RV and then you are trying to make them do what you are used to. Adapt! But I will take them off your hands if they are free.
Randy

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the same tires on the front end of our Ford powered Flair, 34 foot MH. Les install them with 110 psi, and they rode hard. Have found that 100 psi is just about right for it. It has steered and rode great, and they replaced GYs. Raise the front end in the air and hand spin the tires to verify they are rolling straight and even/ installed correctly. Also, look under the MH in the front to see that nothing is damaged, or bent. Stuff does happen.

Wildman

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2000 38' coach with the 245/70x19.5 tires and run 80 psi which is more than adequate to safely support the weight of our coach based on it's weight and the tire manufacturer's load inflation chart.

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toyo RV tire guide and click on RV Inflation Table

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Step #1: Have your MH weighed on all four corners. The heaviest tire on an axle determines the pressure required for all tires ON THAT AXLE.

Step #2: Get the Load Chart for your tires and find the pressure required for the weight your tires are supporting.

Step #3: Adjust the pressure to the recommended pressure shown in the Load Chart table.

My 38ft MH only requires the minimum pressure shown in the charts to support the weight they're carrying yet the chassis is near it's maximum gross weight.

Don Ford
2001 MHC Residency 3790 - 2000 Ford F53 Chassis w/Tag Axle
'09 HHR 2LT Towed
ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System - BlueOx Aventa II Towbar & BX1648 Baseplate

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Toyo 245/70r19.5 16 ply tire problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts