|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> ReadyBrute braking problems--Follow-up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
F1bNorm

Gardena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also check and see if the cable is getting hung up somewhere in the car. Hook everything up and manually push the car against the hitch and see if the surge brake arm, cable and pedal return to the brakes off position. You could also set the hand brake on the towd and have someone carefully back the MH while you watch the brake system work. Don't run the towd engine because you will be adding the power brakes to the mix and that might cover up the problem.

Good luck and let us know how this all works out!

- Norm

F1BNorm

RetiredBob

Portage, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on what Willald and a poster on another forum wrote about needing 2" of slack in the cable (per the ReadyBrute tech), I'm sure mine was too tight. I followed the ReadyBrute written instructions, which were to tighten the cable until the toad brake lights come on, then loosen just until the lights go off. As mentioned above, I'll loosen some more and connect the dash indicator directly to the toad brake light switch. Thanks again.

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredBob wrote:

Based on what Willald and a poster on another forum wrote about needing 2" of slack in the cable (per the ReadyBrute tech), I'm sure mine was too tight. I followed the ReadyBrute written instructions, which were to tighten the cable until the toad brake lights come on, then loosen just until the lights go off. As mentioned above, I'll loosen some more and connect the dash indicator directly to the toad brake light switch. Thanks again.

Yeah, this is one of those cases where the written instructions don't tell you the whole story. Their support is great, though, and if you call them they'll get you straightened out.

I did a few road tests with ours before our trip last week. In the road tests, I found that when you turn left or right, the cable will tighten some initially when you first start the turn, then loosen back up. If you don't have just a little slack in the cable to compensate for that (2" of slack as they told me), every time you turn it will pull the cable just enough to engage your toad brakes. That may well have been enough to cause the brake wear you were experiencing. 'Tis the reason why its very important as several of us have said, that you wire yourself an indicator to tell you when the toad brake pedal is being pulled down. Allows you to be sure you have it set right.

..Has anyone thought of (and would like to share) a way to make adjusting that cable easier? Thinking of adding a turnbuckle of some kind, but not sure that will help much..

Will

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cal47 wrote:

..Do a search for "ReadyBrake" on the forums, I remember seeing a post where someone did just what you are thinking by using a turnbuckle on the brake cable>

Yeah, I saw one post recently, where someone just said they were going to look into such, but that was it. I'm just not convinced a turnbuckle will work in this case for various reasons. Was hoping to hear some specific experiences from anyone that did make such work.

I'll run another search or two, see what comes up.

Will

cal47

Arcadia Fl

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Willald I also use a bungie cord and it works for me. Do a search for "ReadyBrake" on the forums, I remember seeing a post where someone did just what you are thinking by using a turnbuckle on the brake cable>

Cal & Donna
Starr (our Lab mix)
2000 FourWinds Chateau 31S
Rickson 17.5 Wheels and Toyo tires
Sani-Con Sewer Solution
Pressure Pro System
1996 Grand Cherokee Toad W/Ready Brake System
Rand McNally RVND 5510
Bigfoot Levelers

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

However, I see no need for a 40 amp relay to activate one small light bulb! I would simply run a lead from the brake light switch (the "cold" side, not the "hot" side) to the light on the motorhome dash, and from the light to ground.

Using the relay preserves the ability to plug the indicator light into the ReadyBrake like ReadyBrake recommends and it will still work. The relay is cheap and is no harder to wire.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kids (1&1/2 German Shepherds)
2007 Winnebago Outlook WF331C on a Ford E450 Super Duty Chassis
2010 Subaru Forester w/BlueOx baseplate & Ready Brute Elite towbar

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

I installed a turnbuckle on my brake tether cable, and it worked great for making small adjustments as the cable stretched a bit during the first few hundred miles. Since then, I haven't had to touch it. If you do add a turnbuckle, get a wing nut to use as a jam nut, making it a no tools needed adjustment.

Ahhh, I wondered about that, if a jam nut or two wouldnt be needed to prevent it from inadvertently getting twisted and out of adjustment.

Dutch, might you have more specifics of the turnbuckle you used, and the jam nuts? Should I use something like this
1/4 by 7 1/2 turnbuckle or a 3/16 by 5 1/2 turnbuckle like this one?

I'm assuming you put a jam nut on both sides of the turnbuckle?

We're going to Lowe's tonight for some other things, I think I'm going to pick up a turnbuckle and some wing nuts while we're there...

Will

* This post was edited 07/02/12 11:45am by willald *

RetiredBob

Portage, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm bumping this so my Follow-up moves to the top.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

I installed a turnbuckle on my brake tether cable, and it worked great for making small adjustments as the cable stretched a bit during the first few hundred miles. Since then, I haven't had to touch it. If you do add a turnbuckle, get a wing nut to use as a jam nut, making it a no tools needed adjustment.

Ahhh, I wondered about that, if a jam nut or two wouldnt be needed to prevent it from inadvertently getting twisted and out of adjustment.

Dutch, might you have more specifics of the turnbuckle you used, and the jam nuts? Should I use something like this
1/4 by 7 1/2 turnbuckle or a 3/16 by 5 1/2 turnbuckle like this one?

I'm assuming you put a jam nut on both sides of the turnbuckle?

We're going to Lowe's tonight for some other things, I think I'm going to pick up a turnbuckle and some wing nuts while we're there...

Will

Sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed your post.

I used a 3/16" x 6" SS turnbuckle similar to the one you linked to, except that it has welded eyes. The Lowes one looks like it ought to work OK though. I only used a wing jam nut on one side, since I couldn't find a left hand threaded nut at the time. The jam nut just serves to keep the turnbuckle from vibrating and loosening up, and the one wing nut seems to do the job.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> ReadyBrute braking problems--Follow-up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS