|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> for those with a bed tank for extra diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up a 114 gallon aluminum fuel take from a dump truck that use. Made a rack for iy and plumbed it into my fuel filler hose. Thay gives me right at 150 gallons and at 11 mpg towing you can pretty much figure that my bladder isn't near big enough. Works great though and was cheap enough. JMHO

charles weidman

MSGTRETIREDCSP

Burlington, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 91 gallon RDS tank with no filters. It's a gravity feed directly into the filler hose of the factory tank. I only fill it when I'm on long trips. Works great. It's nice to top off the tanks at stations with cheaper prices and drive by the ones with higher prices.

2008 Ford, F-350, CC, 6.4 PSD
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel

fredbaro

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have a 40 gal tank made by american tank.uses trucks fuel pump and gauge just flip toggle switch to go between tanks.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am wondering what the people think that have all this fuel in an extra fuel tank that they paid well over $4 per gallon for that the fuel is well below $4 now?

I also wonder about the loss of space in your bed? Also the cost of the tank and really does it pay? Extra weight?

I have no problen going 300 miles between fill ups, my wifes bladder sure won't go that far.

I love my Highway Products bed high big tool box. I would not want to loose any of that great storage.

I can see trading your stock tank for a 50 gal or so replacement tank...maybe.

Just some thoughts

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

dave17352

LINCOLN, NE

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am wondering what the people think that have all this fuel in an extra fuel tank that they paid well over $4 per gallon for that the fuel is well below $4 now?

I also wonder about the loss of space in your bed? Also the cost of the tank and really does it pay? Extra weight?

I have no problen going 300 miles between fill ups, my wifes bladder sure won't go that far.

I love my Highway Products bed high big tool box. I would not want to loose any of that great storage.

I can see trading your stock tank for a 50 gal or so replacement tank...maybe.

Just some thoughts

All good arguments for not having a aux tank, except for the one about having lower prices now that can go either way.

Now my good points for having a aux tank.

If you choose to do so you can wait till prices have finished there downhill slide and buy right at the bottom and save all that money!

You can go to the fuel station about one third as much as you do with a stock tank. We use the restroom in our rig. In fact we like that and seldomly use the gas station restrooms.

Dont have to worry about finding gas or diesel stations especially when driving on less traveled highways. Really is kinda nice.

My truck easily handles the extra weight and has a handy tool box on the top of the tank.

Diesel is kinda smelly and its nice to deal with it, again about one third as much.

Plus its just kinda cool and I like.

Also all though I have fueled up with my 5th wheel on and could do so without that much of a issue. I can say I prefer not too. Sense I have used the aux tank for the past three years I do beleive I have fueled up the truck only once while pulling. Its just easier.

Just some thoughts

RedG

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoy being able to fill up about once a month when not towing.
Don't care about the extra weight. My truck doesn't really care either.
When towing, I don't have to worry about trying to jockey a 40' fifth wheel into a Stop n Go parking lot to get fuel.
If my bladder gets full, I can stop and use the toilet in my RV. Much cleaner than a raodside station too.
After dropping off the trailer for the night, I can go to WalMart or some other place where fuel is a lot cheaper.
Mine has a modest toolbox on top that will handle most of the tools/accessories I want to carry.
For those that see only negatives to having an aux tank, the answer is simple. Don't buy one.

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

Dave Wilburn

Ogden UT

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 75 gallon tank/tool box combo. Really makes trips nicer not having to drag the 43 foot trailer through gas stations. Truck stops used to be cheaper for diesel, but anymore are usually 10 cents higher than the place around the corner from my house.
I only fill it up when I will be towing a long ways. Otherwise the tank is empty. No filter/seperator on the tank, but the truck does have an airdog pump/filter/seperator between the main tank and the engine.

04.5 Ram 3500, '12 Voltage 3905 Epic, 69 baja bug

msjdbman

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a 45 gallon tank complete with filter/12 volt pump/hose/nozzle/meter etc. I can refuel when it`s most convenient for us that way. I chose this route at the time of purchase due to the cost factor. I got the entire set up off from Craigs list for $150. I could not justify a replacement tank or otherwise for that low investment. Only thing I`ve done is replace the filter annually.

2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> for those with a bed tank for extra diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS