RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: considering TH, need to carry 4K vehicle...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> considering TH, need to carry 4K vehicle...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
urbex

Glendale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at options for my next camper (I've scrapped the rebuild of the old Juno truck camper, due to excessive rot issues), as well as upgrading my truck.

I was originally looking at 1 ton diesel duallys to carry a truck camper, plus my '64 Scout rock crawler on a trailer behind the truck. The Scout is NOT freeway friendly (large lift/tires, flexy suspension, deep gearing, etc), and the trails I run carry large risk of major breakage, thus putting it on a trailer, so a small TT behind the Scout is NOT an option.

My current issue is finding a 4x4 dually in my price range - they're extremely tough to find, where as SRW 1 ton 4x4s are all over. So I've been looking at other options for the camper, such as getting a longer gooseneck trailer, and putting both the camper and Scout on it, which should put the pin weight within the limits of a SRW truck.

My other thought is picking up a toy hauler, but I don't really want one of the 30+ foot monsters if I can avoid it. It's only myself and the GF camping, and the truck camper was plenty of space for the two of us. I also go camping in some tight areas, so manuverability might be an issue.

Does anyone make a TH that would have a garage large enough for my truck, with a minimal living space up front? With say maybe 20 feet max behind the overhead hitch section? Or is this a situation where I'm more realistially looking at a converted car hauler trailer?

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 tow rig, searching for next camper

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you choose a small, light weight camper, the hitch weight of a gooseneck trailer with the camper mounted all the way forward isn't going to be much less than the weight of loading the camper in the bed of the truck. Either way, camper on truck with trailer behind, or camper on gooseneck trailer, I see a dually truck in your future, unless you stick to smaller lighter weight campers.

There are plenty of good used dually trucks available, just have to keep looking. I live in San Diego and had to drive all the way to Boise Idaho to get my diesel dually. It was very well worth it though, only $8500 for a 4wd diesel dually with only 64K original miles and in overall very good condition. Deals are out there, just have to keep searching and be willing to go the distance.

As far as the toyhauler trailer you're describing, you need to look at gooseneck auto racing trailers with living quarters up front, to get the kind of payload capacity and garage space you need. Common RV-chassis based toy hauler trailers just don't have enough payload capacity to haul a 4000 lb vehicle. There again, you'll still likely need the dually truck to haul the heavy hitch weight of a gooseneck living quarters race trailer.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

chorbelt

Everett, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the Hauler threads over at Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860646

This bumper pull might be what you're looking for:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690272

'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse
10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't put a 4000lb vehicle in a toyhauler, too much weight. Go a race trailer which is built for that much weight.

2012 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

urbex

Glendale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The more I think about it, the more I REALLY like the idea of something like the UHaul conversion..but the biggest thing holding me back is that I like the idea of having a pickup to use when not camping/wheeling, and to a lesser degree - not having a monster box truck parked next to the house. I can see..uhh..."disagreements" with the local code inspectors with having a "commercial" vehicle parked at the house long term. Ended up having to go to court a few times to get citations tossed out from having one of my old Scouts parked in the driveway because the old guy kept tagging it as "abandoned", despite current tags on it, and driving it daily (granted...it did look like something that had been sitting for a few decades, lol). A neighbor of mine used to have major issues for parking his Class 8 OTR rig in front of the house on the weekend....

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 12:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to live in Glendale, AZ. That was several years ago. We didn't have those problems in our neighborhood though. Sounds like your neighborhood has been Kalifornicated.

64thunderbolt

Az

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No toyhauler is gonna do what you are wanting. The race car trailer with living quarters is the way to go. Where in Glendale are you? I'm in Peoria.

Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" turbo back exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
08 Arctic Cat Prowler 700XTX

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went through the same search and ended up with two choices:

1. Aluminum framed goose neck with living quarters
2. Truck camper with enclosed trailer

Although the goose necks from Intech, Millennium and Feather Lite would have worked for us (about 10,000 lbs wet and 16,000 lb gross), we would need to go to a 38' or longer rig to get sufficient garage space. We also camp with fewer or smaller toys and did not want to always haul our large garage with us. We ended up with a truck camper that has a slide since there are only two of us and a 20' enclosed trailer. I already have a smaller flat bed trailer and hitch cargo basket when we have less to carry, so we now have much more options on where and how we travel.

Arctic Fox 811S-Honda Passport C70B-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW Jetta TDI

View my profile for rig details.

agteacher

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say cargo trailer (ie: race trailer) with a truck or find a different truck camper and the flatbed trailer. We did the truck camper combo for years with tractors and first a pop-up truck camper then a Lance. We upgraded because it got a little small for 2 adults and 3 kids.

camping buddies - my husband,
14 yr boy,15 yr girl,17 yr girl
American Eskimos - Ginger and Baby
01 International 4700
99 Dodge 2500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Chase_Fair

Anchorage, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check out work and play by forest river I have a ultra light with 4700 lbs cargo capacityhere is a link to the brochure

Chase Fair
2002 Ford F-150 7700 Payload Package B w/ Husky 16K hitch
2013 Work and Play 27UL 28ft
Anchorage, Alaska

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> considering TH, need to carry 4K vehicle...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS