|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Shady Campsites

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our travels we seem to find more with trees than without. Only big parking lot type cgs are the beach cgs or some of the ones right near big big tourist attractions that I have found at this time usually.

I camp anywhere. A tree or shade or wifi or whatever doesn't stop me if the cg is in the area I want, has amenities included I want, is clean and the review is good. I book a cg depending on what it is near in my travels. And heavily wooded means bugs most times.

I will camp parking lot cgs or more landscaped cgs or state parks with woods.

whatever I need at the time is what I reserve.

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're a small town & one of our local retired fellas used to drive around the area & when he saw a nice volunteer tree growing in the ditch, he'd tie a white rag on it. In the Spring, he dug them up & transplanted them in our city park. Of course, he saw to it they were watered & mulched. He's gone now, but our city park has gorgeous trees & they didn't cost the town a penny (he paid his own gas expense & the city provided the water). He planted one at our house 25 years ago and it's huge now. What I'm saying is: there's cheap ways to get shade and the best time to plant a tree is NOW.

mr. ed

Madison, SD (but usually elsewhere)

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As much as I appreciate shade I find being situated under trees is not without certain drawbacks. A few I have found are: tree sap, pine cones falling on roof and making a racket and the obvious tree limbs falling on the RV during high winds. My favorite trees are smaller varieties that grow near the sides of the RV but not over it and are just large enough to provide some shade, particularly in the afternoon. There is an RV park in Hurricane, UT that really fits the bill: Cottam's Willowind RV park. The trees at this park are perfect examples of what I prefer: smaller varieties with thick enough foliage that provide decent shade without the inherent drawbacks of larger trees.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition

mudmaker

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

County park called Belvadeer that's near Sigorney, Iowa. Lots of donated land from a family years ago so the county didn't have to start from scratch. They built a lake with lots of natural habitat and have a newer and older section of the campground. Naturally the older section has big trees but the spots may be a little tighter. They just paved all the spots this year too.
we usually just go to the fairgrounds nearby. Pretty much the whole property to ourselves, have a spot with water and electric and races every Saturday nite. 150 per year for a camping pass. Can't complain.
Used to be a private campground just south of Grandview on hwy 61 but it closed up about the time the trees got to a good size and became a bit more secluded. Don't know what happened there.

Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, and Kirsten
Heartland Big Country 3251TS
2013 GMC Terrain
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
08 Silverado 3500 DRW quad 6.6 Duramax
Yamaha 2000is x2

Cyborgie

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dubuque, Bellvue, McCregor, Maquoketa, Sigourney, Iowa City, North Liberty. Don't go to Eastern Montana or Western North Dakota. Their idea of a campground is a gravel parking lot with outlets and you'll most likely be camped next to someone who's been living there a couple of years.

SomedayisNow

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The park we are currently staying in has both open & shaded sites. The open sites are all pull thrus with small trees in-between each one. Parking lot style. They get more use because lots of folks want the quick & easy parking rather than the nice site with the trees that provide shade because they do not want to have to backin. Too much work and mental energy to back up into a site.

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 04:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The state park we go to has many shaded sites but there are always people who take the few that have almost no shade. We would not go camping if we had to have a sunny site crowded next to our neighbors on each side.

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opie431 wrote:

The state park we go to has many shaded sites but there are always people who take the few that have almost no shade. We would not go camping if we had to have a sunny site crowded next to our neighbors on each side.

We find the same thing. There are almost always shady, partly shady and sunny sites in state parks and COEs. Sites are larger and the whole place is more natural. Trees, shrubs, undergrowth, often wildflowers and wildlife. There are picnic tables, fire rings and BBQ grills. There's more privacy between sites. You don't find these things in the "parking lot" type Resorts and so-called campgrounds. But then for those who pull down their shades and turn on their TVs and PCs, it doesn't matter if the place is like a parking lot since they aren't there to relax and enjoy the outdoors.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/12 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have already replied to this thread, now I just want to post that every time I see the title in the new posts section I instinctively think you are talking about CG's that are really bad, i.e. "shady" lol Then I remember, oh he/she literally means 'shady' lol

jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like camping where there are trees but for some reason I always get the site where the trees are all along the road and it takes some real skill to backup between the trees. Its almost like a parking test.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Shady Campsites
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS