|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bathroom Floor Replacement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 03:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a few questions regarding the replacement of the bathroom floor in my Sunline T2070.
It appears that my black tank is directly underneath the damaged portion of the floor and I cannot find any obvious water leaks in or near the area. My guess is that condensation caused this damage. If the tongue of my trailer is pointing north, do my "floor joists" or 2 x 2s run east and west? I don't want to cut into the joists if I can help it while removing the rotten OSB. I'm trying to visualize what is on top of the two frame rails that run parallel from the tongue of the trailer back to the bumper. Are there metal cross ribs and then the wooden 2x2 are screw down into them? Secondly, what is the usual method(s) of cutting the flooring out? I have a battery powered small circular saw that I could adjust the depth of the cut, or am I better with one of those oscillating multipurpose tools as sold by Harbor Freight?

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/12 05:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2x2's ran east/west in the motorhome. I did use a skill saw with the blade adjusted to the correct depth to remove the old plywood and a hand saw to cut through the 2-bys. The way I handled my rather small replacement was to cut back the 2-bys on each side of the rot and then marry up new boards on just one side or in a few spots, on both sides of the old ones. I put new plywood down and then hardy-backer because I was going to put tile down. 10,000 miles later and all is well. Good Luck.

96 Vogue Prima Vista 37' CAT 3176B
Our Babies: Mollie, Cassie and Maggie, all rescued King Charles Spaniels, Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie, Scoutie, Katie, Cooper, Kodie and our sweet Rubie RIP kids!

Rally's and get togethers.....Lots

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo,
Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling that there's no wood bracing under the OSB as the black tank is directly under the soft spot. I guess I will see once I start cutting. Why Sunline used OSB is beyond me. I understand that it's cheaper than plywood, but in a moist environment, OSB is garbage.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having dealt with water damaged flooring in the past one word of advice I will give is do your best to find out WHAT caused the damage before going to all that trouble to repair it...or you will just have to do it again.

I hope you get it sorted, nothing worse than water damage in an RV.

Gene&Ginny

North Kingstown, RI

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nitrohorse, click the link in my signature. There are many good people in the Sunline Club and I am sure someone could tell you exactly what you want to know.

Gene and DW Ginny
2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control
Proud member of the Sunline Club

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 04:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gene&Ginny wrote:

nitrohorse, click the link in my signature. There are many good people in the Sunline Club and I am sure someone could tell you exactly what you want to know.

I did post my issue over on the Sun line forum last night. Thanks for the suggestion.

lynndiwagon

Yukon, Oklahoma, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The vibrating multi-tool is the way to go. You can cut right next to the walls. I did get mine from Harbor Freight Tools and it works great. I have a different rig and the rot was in a different place but the technique is the same. I used treated 2x4's and 1" treated plywood for replacement. I also located the leak. Good luck.

Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2005 Chevy 2500HD D/A
Vision 19.5" Wheels, BFG ST230 Tires
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 04:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[qugomote=lynndiwagon]The vibrating multi-tool is the way to go. You can cut right next to the walls. I did get mine from Harbor Freight Tools and it works great. I have a different rig and the rot was in a different place but the technique is the same. I used treated 2x4's and 1" treated plywood for replacement. I also located the leak. Good luck.

I think I will also go with the multi tool. I'm planning on redoing our S&B bathroom this fall and I'm sure it will come in handy there too. Just curious, did you use 1" ply to further stiffen your floor? The thickest pressure treated ply I have found is 3/4".

bingford

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will make a suggestion. Consider getting some repair epoxy from Composet Products. It is very thin epoxy that will soak into the plywood or OSB and firm up an suspect areas.

After making repairs you can use it to bond new to old, and to strengthen any reamining wood, etc.
Worth a look: www.delamrepair.com

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bingford wrote:

I will make a suggestion. Consider getting some repair epoxy from Composet Products. It is very thin epoxy that will soak into the plywood or OSB and firm up an suspect areas.

After making repairs you can use it to bond new to old, and to strengthen any reamining wood, etc.
Worth a look: www.delamrepair.com

Sounds good. From looking at the bathroom cabinets, it appears that they were screwed from the outside walls in. I'm sure there's going to be some areas that I cannot get to or I'm not willing to disassemble the trailer that far to remove the wood, so the "wood rot" products are definitely in my future.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bathroom Floor Replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS