|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 1/4 of tire suddenly bald

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kklarson

House

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was watching my fifth wheel tires closely because I had a blowout on my last trip and another one on the trip I just returned from. These were the original tires on a 2008 Sunnybrook Bristol Bay 3455CK. I was watching the tires closely on the return trip, checking the pressure frequently, and had even had the axle weighed since both blowouts were on the rear axle (different sides).

Imagine my surprise when arriving home I noticed that the right front tire was bald for about 1/4 of its circumference. The tire was turning when I backed it up, but I haven't raised the axle to see how freely the wheel turns. Any idea what might have caused this? Could the brake have locked on then released? I'll probably take it into a service center, but any thoughts about what I should be looking for? Thank very much.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width to avoid scrolling.

* This post was edited 07/06/12 07:18pm by an administrator/moderator *

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/12 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the tire on the other side of that axle look like? Almost looks like it quit turning. That's strange. I have no answer but will be interested to find out the cause.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I've seen this before. It was caused by a bad rubber mix in the tire. If you have a durameter it would show soft and hard spots in the tire.

In short. The tire is junk and was junk from the factory.

I'm inclined to agree. If a brake was dragging, the tire would be locked into the bald spot and you should see smoke.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TURBODOG1000

INDY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Change the tire NOW, my Goodyear Marithon did the same thing, I found the belt in the tire had shifted causing a tread buldge make the tire wear like yours.

Lift the tire off the ground and spin it I think you will see a buldge in the tread area.

2005 F150 XLT Supercab LB Heavy Payload 5.4, 4.10
2007 Jayco Jayflight 31BHDS
Back-up camera on the TT with infrared & microphone
Prodigy
ScanGauge II
Reese duel cam hitch, U-bolt style ($40 at a garage sale)
2 canoes, 3 kayaks, & camping dog (Tootsie)

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO the tire is not rolling properly, brake dragging?

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen this before. It was caused by a bad rubber mix in the tire. If you have a durameter it would show soft and hard spots in the tire.

In short. The tire is junk and was junk from the factory.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

JBarca

Dublin, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That tire may have had the rubber separated inside from the belts. Is that Load Star a ST trailer tire?

It looks like the top of the tire is round, not flat straight across like it is suppose to be. I just had 2 of these fail on mine.

Here see mine.

If you have it cut open it looks like this. I have a friend who is a retired tire engineer and I sent him the tire. This is called detachment.

When you take the tire off you can also measure the OD and compare it to your spare. Like this. The failed one will be larger OD as it is bulged out.

I found my first one during routine maintenance. I had jacked the camper up and when spinning the tire the fat spot hit the ground. Then rolled free. The tread bulge would hit the ground then 1/2" clearance once it passed.

My last one, 500 miles later on our RV trip in late June another one failed during the trip. Same thing. I spotted it when I was getting gas and changed it before it let go. See here

If you really want to help the cause, save that tire once you get it changed. Do not give it to the tire dealer to scrap. And change it now before it lets go. File a report with the NHTSA on a failed ST trailer tire. Go to here: The one in the middle for tire complaints.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I will be filing 2 reports on mine. The only way we are going to help with this ST tire saga is by reporting the problems to the people who can take action on it. You need to save the tire in case they want it. You need the tire full DOT code, you will need the VIN tag off the camper and the tire placard information.

If you did not exceed the tire speed rating,
If you did not overload the tire,
If you kept the tire at the pressure as listed on the tire placard.
Did not hit a curb etc or other road hazard

And you have the actual failed tire still intact, you like me are a perfect case to file a NHTSA report. They need the right info to do an investigation. Very few to no reports are filed on blown trailer tires yet the forums are loaded with them. Let's help the cause.

Some are saying a brake problem, If the brake was locked the tire would wear totally across the the face of the tire and or flat spots if it was intermittent. How can a stalled tire wear a wedge?

Also, when was the last time you went to the scales? If you had 2 tires go out and now 3, get a weight slip. I will be including mine when I file my report.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

* This post was edited 07/04/12 08:58pm by JBarca *

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheap chinese made tires, buy some decent tires.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TURBODOG1000 wrote:

Change the tire NOW, my Goodyear Marithon did the same thing, I found the belt in the tire had shifted causing a tread buldge make the tire wear like yours.

Lift the tire off the ground and spin it I think you will see a buldge in the tread area.

I have seen that happen also.

stubblejumper

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Broken belt. Could be caused by hitting a deep pothole or a sharp pavement edge. CAREFULLY run your hand over the bald spot and you will probably feel wire whiskers.
Just replaced 4 tires on the Escape AWD for same reason.

1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 1/4 of tire suddenly bald
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS