RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: Trouble raising powered roof of Fleetwood Avalon

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Trouble raising powered roof of Fleetwood Avalon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
forsailors99

Montgomery Village, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the powered option to raise the top of my folding trailer, a Fleetwood Highlander Avalon. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Just put in a new battery and still now power. Anyone else have similar problems with raising the roof?

In the past I've replaced fuses and once had the wiring checked for a turn signal problem. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Forsailors

Forsailors and DW
Three daughters & three grandsons
2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC, LB
Fleetwood Avalon

Beer Belly

Bethel, Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 05:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had ours not operate due to a dead battery.....what I was told during our walk thru when we bought it was that there was a button on the rear underside middle of the camper that you press to release the motor so you can crank it up (found the button)....WRONG !!!....on ours, there is a connector that needed to be unplugged (same area), then cranked very easily.....my point.....those are two areas I would check for a dirty, or faulty connection....remember, do not lift using shore power....battery power only

*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Starcraft 14RT powered roof uses a double set of these circuit breakers. These are installed right on the battery terminal.

Could be this is bad. Mine uses two each 25AMP units paralleled together... Check the wiring termials

My unit uses the Powerwinch model P55000 also called Carefree of Colorado. you can download their manual on-line if this is what you are using. has a good schematic and lots of useful info in it for troubleshooting...

I was just looking at the manual and there is also a in-line embedded FUSE in the wiring harness for the Power Winch. It is all wraped with tape on my unit. Rated at 60AMP. Look for a taped in hump in the harness. Follow the RED wires in the wiring harness...

* This post was edited 07/14/12 09:53am by RoyB *

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

forsailors99

Montgomery Village, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 03:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Beer and Roy. I did learn on my first trip to unhook the wires in the back when cranking up the trailer manually. The battery is always charged. It did it again the other day when I cranked it up, but then it worked after connecting the wires again. I'll look into the circuit breakers near the battery. They are rusty, so I'll replace them and then tape them with black electrical tape. I'll let you know how it works out. Forsailors

Beer Belly

Bethel, Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

forsailors99 wrote:

Thanks Beer and Roy. I did learn on my first trip to unhook the wires in the back when cranking up the trailer manually. The battery is always charged. It did it again the other day when I cranked it up, but then it worked after connecting the wires again. I'll look into the circuit breakers near the battery. They are rusty, so I'll replace them and then tape them with black electrical tape. I'll let you know how it works out. Forsailors

I had a heck of a time trying to cranking up manauly before I realized I had to unplug the connector.....guy doing the walk thru said "just push the button"....yeah, ok. Let us know how you make out.

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

forsailors99 wrote:

I'll look into the circuit breakers near the battery. They are rusty, so I'll replace them and then tape them with black electrical tape. I'll let you know how it works out. Forsailors

Better yet, relocate the auto-reset breakers to a location outside of the battery box to get them away from the corrosive battery gases. I put in a red dot cast outlet box for my auto-reset circuit breaker. The box, with an extension ring, also provides space for my battery disconnect. Fully water-tight when the gaskets are used.

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

forsailors99

Montgomery Village, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks JLTN. My circuit breakers are already located outside the battery box, but exposed to the elements. I'll take a look this weekend for the weatherproof box to cover the breakers.

hawk_fan

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have a picture of the connector? This past weekend the remote went belly up and had to crank the roof down. Talk about a pain! My drill started smoking

'08 Fleetwood Niagara
'07 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0 4x4

Our Mods and Pics

forsailors99

Montgomery Village, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appear to have fixed the problem. Simple, really. My battery cables needed to be tightened to the battery posts. Top went up and down several times on our trip these past two weeks.

Beer Belly

Bethel, Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hawk_fan wrote:

Does anyone have a picture of the connector? This past weekend the remote went belly up and had to crank the roof down. Talk about a pain! My drill started smoking

I looked under the rear of mine.....followed the wires from where you hook the power switch.....there is no way I could of cranked ours by hand until I disconnected that connector

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Trouble raising powered roof of Fleetwood Avalon
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS