RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class Class C vs Class B+ Motorhomes, Officially?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class Class C vs Class B+ Motorhomes, Officially?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 'A's, were the bus builds and bus conversion. Truly Luxury, Top Drawer rigs. The 'C's were mounted on a cab and chassis PU at first.

Of course if you go even further back in history, it is even more of a Hodge Podge, of custom builds, both top drawer and 'not so much'. i.e. the pics of the old Schoolies with the windows still in place and a stove pipe sticking out the roof. Maybe a deck on the back, and maybe not done so nicely. Not to be picking on the Schoolies, They were the econo RVs of the day. I always wanted a Schoolie, but never put out the $s and the effort to 'convert' one. LOL

Some years ago I watched a trailer build shop, do a 'C' on a Dodge Cummins. It was horribly expensive project because it was a 'one off' And the PU had to be purchased as a complete unit, with the bed being sold or disposed of. In that era Dodge wouldn't sell a cab and chassis configuration. Ford and Chevy did n't have a 'real' diesel for the consumer market. Chevy was a converted 350 gasser, and Ford hadn't brought out the Power Smoker yet. So if you wanted a diesel 'C', it was a project.

All of this really brings one back to the realization that the RV industry was kind of a weird off shoot of the automotive industry. Not catered to by the 'parent' industry until recently. In years gone by, even the class 'A' builders had to buy their Bus Bodies with windows and 'repair' the walls where they didn't want windows.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the first Mass Market 'A's I remember, were the Pace Arrows and Winnies. Do you remember the Winnie with the bushy eyebrows over the windshield?

Those were on the Dodge chassis, which was 'purpose built' for the RV industry. These IIRC were the first of the less than Class 'A's, which were built to a price point, for the general consumer. Another 'marketing' tool, calling them Class A, but without the very Top Drawer price. Kind of an upscale iteration of the Truck Camper, and the Chassis Mount Camper. The day of the Toyota 'C' with the 4 banger, non turbo, occurred some where in the 70s' IIRC.

Much of the change in RVs occurred at the whim of the Automotive manufacturers. When they were in need of business, they would provide 'speciality' items and drop them when business was better, or the margin wasn't good enough. Kinda like the E series vans from Ford MAY be an endangered species currently.

But back to the OPs original Q.; it is what you or they (whoever 'they' may be), want to call it. It really is a moving target.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I remember right in '87-88, 27' was the longest "C" that was available. Also the largest E's were E-350.

Dusty

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rehoppe wrote:

Some of the first Mass Market 'A's I remember, were the Pace Arrows and Winnies. Do you remember the Winnie with the bushy eyebrows over the windshield?

Those were on the Dodge chassis, which was 'purpose built' for the RV industry. These IIRC were the first of the less than Class 'A's, which were built to a price point, for the general consumer. Another 'marketing' tool, calling them Class A, but without the very Top Drawer price. Kind of an upscale iteration of the Truck Camper, and the Chassis Mount Camper. The day of the Toyota 'C' with the 4 banger, non turbo, occurred some where in the 70s' IIRC.

Much of the change in RVs occurred at the whim of the Automotive manufacturers. When they were in need of business, they would provide 'speciality' items and drop them when business was better, or the margin wasn't good enough. Kinda like the E series vans from Ford MAY be an endangered species currently.

But back to the OPs original Q.; it is what you or they (whoever 'they' may be), want to call it. It really is a moving target.

I do remember those old Winnies growing up and seeing that brown W on the side of those aluminum clad MHs. Still enjoy the occasional spotting in reality or old movies.

I especially like your take on how RV production has been used to fill in down cycles in other automotive segments. How about those nice GMC class As from such shifted production?

I think your last sentence accurately describes the RV industry's products then and now.

2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IndianaBoy wrote:

We all agree B Plus Motorhomes is a pure marketing term to identify a few differences between a Class C and an cut-a-way chassis based class C motorhome.

Is this what you meant?

"We all agree B+ Motorhomes is a pure marketing term to identify a few differences between a Class B and an cut-a-way chassis based class C motorhome."

B-Plus is a specific model name used by R-Vision for its line of Trail Lite B+ MHs - like in my sig. Also, B+ is a cross between a B and a small C.

Otherwise, you get it. Assuming your uncle wants a short rig for easy driving, he might like a small C with B+ features; or, a regular full width small C with an overhead bunk to gain indoor storage. Just to mess your mind more, he might want a small C with B+ features AND an overhead bunk like the Winnebago View.

Edit: My bad, the Winnie View's overhanging is optional (as is also true for all the Born Free Cs)

* This post was edited 07/10/12 11:58am by burlmart *

IndianaBoy

Living Room

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, this all makes since... It makes no since :-)

We all agree B Plus Motorhomes is a pure marketing term to identify a few differences between a Class C and an cut-a-way chassis based class C motorhome. And GoRVing only recognizes 3 classes or types of motorhomes; Type A Motorhomes, Type B Motorhomes, & Type C Motorhomes.

So the marketers have started using the term B Plus simply to identify a few items and common features topically packaged together on a Class C and branded them with the "Plus". Since these motorhomes topically have a different demographic I believe their is good reason for there segregation. If fact I asked this question because my uncle who has no children, and would only be traveling with his wife. After asking a few question it was clear they are looking for a something between the B Vans and the family sized Class C. So if I send him out shopping I'll arm him with the knowledge that he should be asking for a "B+ Motorhome" or a Class C without the over hanging bunk, I've suggested the B Plus Siesta Motorhomes. This brings me to another side question, is the marketing term B Plus regional? My uncle lives in Northern Quebec, will his local dealer know the term?

Thanks Sooboy, I love the to the point definitions of the true classes here:
Sooboy wrote:

C = RV where second stage manufacturer builds on a cutaway chassis
B = Camper Van (utilizing the entire van body)
A = RV where second stage manufacturer builds the entire body, including drivers compartment on a bare chassis.

Just to put this to bed, yes "B Plus" is a marketing term but it does define a motorhome with a few common attributes but because it's a marketing term they are not strictly limited to:

• no overhead bunk (100%)
  • Built on a cut-a-way chassis (100%)
  • rounded sidewalls (Common)
  • smaller sizes/more compact (Common)
  • more optional items come standard (Common)
  • topically cost a bit more the their "Class C" counter part (Common)

Common Class B Plus Motorhome

Common Class C Motorhome

This is pretty crazy but I was shopping for a refrigerator and see the same things going on; French Doors, Side-by-Side, Ect...

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rumors of the dead B+ horse are over-rated!

I have often stated the B+ concept is completely demonstrated in the RT 200 and 210, the PW Excel, and many other likewise blown-up Bs. I say as much in my earlier post in this thread (with all the pics).

Here More info if the OP is still reading the thread

* This post was edited 07/10/12 12:11pm by burlmart *

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where's that 'dead horse' animation? LOL

I can tell it's time to go to the mountains, and get the heck out of Denver!

rv bill-e

Nashville

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys, jumping in on this dead horse to ask if anyone thinks that perhaps altered Bs like the Roadtrek 210, where they have extended the frame and pretty much replaced the body, well, does THAT seems like a legitimate use of the term B+? I know that is not how it is used, but it does seem to be a quite different product from where they use the original frame and body. Besides, I don't think that horse has learned his lesson yet!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class Class C vs Class B+ Motorhomes, Officially?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS