RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: I hope I have "FRAMED" this question properly?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I hope I have "FRAMED" this question properly?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
msredneck84

Southeastern U S (habitually)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do any of the remaining fifth wheel Mfg's. build their own frames? Carriage built their own (if my memory serves me correctly) but, sadly, they are gone now.

The reason I ask this question, I see a lot of post about frame failure and slide room tracking and mechanism failure. It seems to me some of the big boys in the RV Mfg. end need to address this issue. Looks like the field is wide open for an opportunist.

I know I would look long and hard at a company that had enough forethought to build the most important component of the unit themselves. What say you all?

Drinking out of my saucer!

JR45

Warren/OR/USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excel builds there own frames http://www.excelrvs.com/resources/videos
JR

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
98 Honda Accord Toad

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It wouldn't take much attention to quality to easily surpass the quality of what Lippert produces.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Northwood Nash builds their own from scratch....they told me during a tour that they went with Lippert briefly...but were disatisfied with the quality and they weren't heavy enough.

SpaceCraft, Nash, NuWa, Excel, Carriage (used to but gone now!), New Horizon, and a few others DIY frames.

It just isn't cost effective to build their own frames...far cheaper to hand it off to an outside builder. But there are degrees and price lines of Lippert frames...some companies specify their own engineered specs and have the frames built for specific weights and sizes of trailers.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at changing to a 5er next year in conjunction with retirement and full timing. I believe DRV (Mobile Suites), NuWa (Hitchhiker) and the aforementioned Excel build their own.

RVn Full-time

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the above replies pretty well cover it. Few still build their own, but I can vouch for Northwood. Our Arctic Fox is built like a tank.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2011 Keystone 23rks Hideout to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a minor correction to info on Hitchhiker frames.

Yes, MOST are still built by Youngs Welding in Chanute, Kansas.

BUT, there are Hitchhiker II models out there with Lippert frames on them.

Not sure if this is still the case, but the Hitchhiker II series were built in another plant in Chanute, not part of the main facility where the Discover America and Champagne series were built.

And it was those Hitchhiker II's that had the Lippert frames. Do not know if they still use Lippert on these, or went back to Youngs Welding.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan, Korey & Rocky
2011 Ford F350 Power Stroke dually
2008 SnowRiver 10-8 D/S Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Northwood Nash builds their own from scratch....they told me during a tour that they went with Lippert briefly...but were disatisfied with the quality and they weren't heavy enough.

SpaceCraft, Nash, NuWa, Excel, Carriage (used to but gone now!), New Horizon, and a few others DIY frames.

It just isn't cost effective to build their own frames...far cheaper to hand it off to an outside builder. But there are degrees and price lines of Lippert frames...some companies specify their own engineered specs and have the frames built for specific weights and sizes of trailers.

While I'm no fan of Lippert, I simply don't see why a company can't spec a frame for Lippert (or another company) to build and reject anything that doesn't meet that spec. I'm talking about size and types of beams, gauge of steel, QUALITY of steel and QUALITY of construction. At the same time, those companies that do use Lippert need to either tell Lippert to shape up, find another company to do the work or do it themselves. It HAS to start with better construction by Lippert and they need to do their =own= analysis of a spec to see if it will work for a specific application. This really isn't rocket science (sorry, ERS), but it is fairly simple engineering. You can bet your last dollar that Lippert knows this, but doesn't call the manufacturers to task for it. The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to rebuild my current trailer and have someone put a new superstructure on the old frame when the time comes. :-)

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

LostinAZ

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 12:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm wondering if the specs are the issue for the high failure rates reported here for Lippert frames or what seems to me to be the most reported problem with Lippert has been due to poor Lippert frame welds.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 11:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eycom wrote:

I'm looking at changing to a 5er next year in conjunction with retirement and full timing. I believe DRV (Mobile Suites), NuWa (Hitchhiker) and the aforementioned Excel build their own.

I don't know about Excel but NuWa has Youngs in Chanute KS build their frames and Mobile Suites DRV have Lippert build theirs.

Lippert gets a bad rap but most of the time the problem is the rv mfg specs too light weight of frames and they don't hold up. My MS has two 2x6 and one 2x3 tubes stacked on top of each other and is very strong. I have heard of very few complaints of Lippert/MS frames.

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I hope I have "FRAMED" this question properly?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS