|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Propane and Towing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not trying to change anybodys ways. Here is why I keep mine turn off when on the road.

1. don't know enough about propane, so off is the most safest for me.

(But love to weed with my torch-down attachment with propane)

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 11:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sure do as many do and travel with it on and take the chance of blowing up something. many say have done it for years and so far nothing's happened, I say nothing happened yet but their time will come. there is nothing like fighting a fire with a Mh fully involved and a ups truck next to it and right in front of both of them is a 80K propane tank filling station. with out our great fire dept we may have lost half the town. first truck in hit the big propane tank with water and a tender hooked to to reinforce the pumper. third truck fought the ups truck and the MH with damage to the gas station it self. for this reason I am very much against stupid people who insist on leaving their propane on when they can just use reusable ice packs to keep things cold and refreeze at night. Be safe not stupid. by the way, it was the frig that caused the fire due to having his frig on

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/12 11:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was last edited 07/07/12 09:52pm by MitchF150 *   View edit history

BC Nomad

BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 11:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chromag wrote:

Thanks. I understand how forums work. FYI, searching in the TT forums resulted in:

Your search for 'towing propane' found 0 matches.

Your search for 'towing lp' found 0 matches.

Your search for 'towing gas' found 1 matches.
"EcoBoost towing gas mileage?"

I too found searching to be unresponsive at times.

Now I use one word searches eg.
towing ... Yeilded 1561 pages
and then I refine the search by searching (eg. propane) within the search (and it yielded 21 pages). You can further refine as much as you like. I then scan through the subject lines and usually find the topics I'm looking for.

Incidentally I leave Saturday for Jasper/Banff and plan to tow with Fridge running on propane except at Gas Stations, Tunnels (if any) and Ferries (none on my route).

2005 Ford F-150,XLT,Triton,4X2,SuperCab
w/ 4.6L,V-8, 4R70E, 3:55LS,145WB,6'6"Bed, AirLift RideControl Bags
2003 Nomad 242LT (25')
Hensely Arrow
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller

tratterboy1

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My LP dealer who delivers my heating fuel has probably 5 to 8 thousand gallons in his tanker.What do you think his truck runs on?Do you know what kind of material your tanks are made of?Worry about your gasoline tank rupturing if you need to worry.

Hammerhead

Moon Base 5

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never tow with the gas on. If you were to develop a leak, wouldn't it most likely occur as the trailer is bouncing down the road? Then, after 30 minutes, the fridge sparks to begin a cooling section and starts a fire.

A milk jug of ice in the fridge and in the freezer is all you need to keep cold food in a cold fridge cold for 12 hours.

I also wear a seat belt every time I'm in the car and I haven't needed one since 1977 when I was pinned under a car following a rollover accident. Does that mean people wearing seatbelts are paranoid?

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerhead wrote:

I never tow with the gas on. If you were to develop a leak, wouldn't it most likely occur as the trailer is bouncing down the road? Then, after 30 minutes, the fridge sparks to begin a cooling section and starts a fire.

A milk jug of ice in the fridge and in the freezer is all you need to keep cold food in a cold fridge cold for 12 hours.

I also wear a seat belt every time I'm in the car and I haven't needed one since 1977 when I was pinned under a car following a rollover accident. Does that mean people wearing seatbelts are paranoid?

You know I started wearing my seatbelt some years before it became a law and my friends did call me paranoid !! Some still do and refuse to wear it even now. But, going down the road with my propane on doesn't bother me in the least.

In fact I think I forgot to shut it off after my last camping trip and it's setting inside a enclosed shed with he propane on right now. (But, the fridge is off)

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tratterboy1 wrote:

My LP dealer who delivers my heating fuel has probably 5 to 8 thousand gallons in his tanker.What do you think his truck runs on?Do you know what kind of material your tanks are made of?Worry about your gasoline tank rupturing if you need to worry.

OH yea your gasoline tank is most likely plastic

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We set our fridge to Auto, not too hard to guess what mode it's cooling with when traveling down the road.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerhead wrote:

I agree. It's the small leak that won't be detected and utilize the tanks auto shutoff safety feature that I concern myself with. And with a 5er, I wouldn't smell any LPG while driving down the road. BTW, my grand fathers camper burnt to the ground years ago, and it started by a sparked small leak.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Propane and Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: