RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Shower skylight cover?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
blackfyreterv

Bellingham, WA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/12 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cut a size of the reflectix and used some commercial grade velcro to hold it in place, this works to block out the light, keep out the heat and keep out the cold. When I want light it is easily removed so you can shower and easily put back in place when finished.

This has worked well for me. I bought a big roll of the stuff at Home Depot as it was less money than Camping world and I made custom window covers and vent covers all for the cost of three vent covers premade.

BlackFyre Farms-Belgian Tervuren,Laekenois & Arabian Horses make me
Bellingham, WA USA

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got some aluminum J channel that's used for aluminum siding. Cut it to fit on 3 sides around the shower dome and held in place by the same screws that hold the dome. Round the exposed ends to eliminate the sharp points. This creates a slot. I then cut some white paneling to fit in the slot. When I need shade the paneling just slides in. Being white it matches the color of the ceiling. When you want light then remove the siding and it easily stores under the mattress. The channel holds it snug enough that the paneling won't move when going down the road.
I made similar for the overhead vent in the bedroom.

Camped in every state but Alaska

ctpres

SAN BERNARD RIVER VALLEY, Needville , TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wadcutter gets my vote for idea of the month!

A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Foreman Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA
with
Headhoncho Suzie
BAR-BOB Ranch, San Barnard River Valley, Texas
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ctpres wrote:

Wadcutter gets my vote for idea of the month!

Thanks. Actually it didn't cost us anything as I had the J channel and panelling scraps from previous jobs. Even if had to buy the pieces it still would have been a cheap fix. J channel can be had in aluminum or plastic and in several colors. It definitely keeps the light and heat out and it doesn't take up any space when not in use.

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 11:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found that a standard door reflector, that comes with Velcro, will push up into the skylight and pretty much stay put. We put a vent pillow under it pushed into place to help hold it, works good and drops the heat in coach drastically.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

zman-az

Northern AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wadcutter wrote:

I got some aluminum J channel that's used for aluminum siding.....

You need to patent that idea. You could do really well with some kits that are ready to go. Maybe it could be made out of a plastic (not sure if that alum would cut someone) and have insullated panels. Great idea and looks good.

Exocet

Central NY, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wadcutter wrote:

I got some aluminum J channel that's used for aluminum siding. Cut it to fit on 3 sides around the shower dome and held in place by the same screws that hold the dome. Round the exposed ends to eliminate the sharp points. This creates a slot. I then cut some white paneling to fit in the slot. When I need shade the paneling just slides in. Being white it matches the color of the ceiling. When you want light then remove the siding and it easily stores under the mattress. The channel holds it snug enough that the paneling won't move when going down the road.

I like the idea. I've been using velcro to hold my Reflectrix in place, but when the inside of the trailer gets hot, the adhesive fails and it drops into the tub.

I'll be heading out to get some J-channel soon.

2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab, 4x4
Long Bed, Big Tow, Roadmaster Active Suspension

2009 Spree 318BHS
Reese Strait-Line 1200#
Tekonsha Prodigy

btcruzer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my reason for blocking the bathroom dome was to keep the heat out. I had put the reflective stuff in the Max-Air covers and then another layer inside the roof vents (below the screen). By then time was running short and I wanted to do something about the bathroom. Didn't have the time to do something complicated but wanted to see if a cover would really help. Thought that preventing the heat from entering would be better than trapping the heat between the dome and some sort of barrier. Walking to the RV, I passed our trash cans. The plastic lid looked to be about the same size and shape as my bathroom skylight. I carried it up the ladder and plopped it down over the skylight. Went inside and this had cut the light to next to nothing. After the next day it was obvious that blocking the sunlight had reduced the amount of heat a bunch. Now the trash can lid rides in the back of the truck until we setup and then it is a simple thing to put into place. Haven't had any big winds yet but don't think it'll be a problem to secure if the need arises.

I've checked the temps between the Max-Air vents and the reflectix placed at ceiling lever and it quite a bit less warm than before the stuff was put in the Max- Airs. I was kind of dubious of this suggestion before I tried it but I'm thinking it is effective, especially when the sun is not shining directly into the open side of the vents.

We used to use the reflective stuff inside our windows as a heat shield. The heat between the glass and reflective stuff was tremendous. We now put the reflective on the OUTSIDE of the window, using suction cups and small bungee cords. This is usually done only when we plan to be in one place a few days.

Jayco254

Eastern Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of these ideas won't work since the OP needs the skylight because of his size, I'm also 6'4" and use the sky light to stand under because of it's bubble shape. Since they're two pieces inside and outside I put a charcoal tinted outer one on the roof. They just need to make the showers a few inches higher.

Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

Wrace

Seattle WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco254 wrote:

Most of these ideas won't work since the OP needs the skylight because of his size, I'm also 6'4" and use the sky light to stand under because of it's bubble shape. Since they're two pieces inside and outside I put a charcoal tinted outer one on the roof. They just need to make the showers a few inches higher.

That's true, anything hanging below the skylight trim piece is going impact my head. My head pretty much brushes up against the ceiling until I get my head inside the skylight dome.

I had to remove and reinstall the skylight on this tt for re-sealing and it is just a one piece unit.

I don't want to paint the skylight as the other 10 months of the year I very much like the light it brings into the bathroom.

I've been trying to use the reflexic and velcro but the velcro just pulls off the plastic trim piece. So maybe I should just get a ladder and put a sheet of tin foil over the top of the skylight and hold it down with rocks at each of the four corners. (trailer is parked for a few months)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS