|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Filling Fresh Water Tnak

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Hillybilly

Northern Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be camping at Salt Fork State Park in Ohio next week. The camp sites don't have direct water hookups.

What is the proper process to fill the water tank from the central water spigot?

If the hose I have is long enough to reach the spigot from the camp site I guess I can hook up to fill up the fresh water. If the hose won't reach, is it OK to pull up to the spigot and fill up before backing into the camp site? Just want to do it right so I don't piss anybody off.

Thanks

Starcraft Homestead 262RLS
2500HD Silverado 6.6 Duramax

toolman1

Cerritos, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My suggestion; check with the camp host first.

See ya out there!!
Hooliville member #128

Gary & Lynne.
'04 Dolphin 5320 WH-22 370W Solar
22' Mighty Mover Trailer, 60W. Solar.
Sand Sprite 4. 2.3L EFI sand buggy
'84 Jeep CJ.
2011 Black Lab "Lucy" for both of us

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YOu might want to purchase one of thoes green cheater as many campgrounds don't have faucets where you can screw on the hose.

Our Road Less Traveled

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that green cheater is called a water thief. You can also do as I have done for year while camping in the mountains. fill up a 6 gallon plastic can and transfer the water by using a funnel or as I did, I got lazy in my old years and bought a bilge pump from wally world and made a transfer pump for water. wired the pump with long enough wires and put an inline on/off switch near the fill end and pumped water out of the 5 gallon can. worked great and no lifting to drain the can. pump did all the work

dalmationlovers

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with the park, but they are required to have potable water that a hose can be connected to. Usually near the dump station, not in the are of the dump, to allow those that need to fill tank can. But I would call the park first before leaving.

Arnold

beckid

So. Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

that green cheater is called a water thief. You can also do as I have done for year while camping in the mountains. fill up a 6 gallon plastic can and transfer the water by using a funnel or as I did, I got lazy in my old years and bought a bilge pump from wally world and made a transfer pump for water. wired the pump with long enough wires and put an inline on/off switch near the fill end and pumped water out of the 5 gallon can. worked great and no lifting to drain the can. pump did all the work

Ole guy is smart...exactly what he said. BTW...some "camp hosts"/ Rangers get their knickers in a twist if you try to use a water thief if your rig is close enough to the spigot for the hose to reach and fill spigot-to-tank... do it under cover of darkness if you're gonna. Or ask first...

Me '54
Him '58
Maggie the wonderdog
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can fill up at home before getting to the park. I usually do, but others don't like to pull the weight.

You can fill up upon entering the park. As stated above, fill up near the dump station, they should have potable water there. Be sure to use the potable water and not the water hose nearer the dump hole.

I always have a longer water hose and a shorter one. I've never had to utilize one of these to fill my fresh water other when filling while at a camp site that has water available. The hose provided at the park's potable water is usually sufficient for most campers.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2001 25' Cardinal LXDS
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a 15-gallon barrel, fill it at the faucet, then siphon-feed it into the FW tank on the trailer.

2013 North Trail 21FBS
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") scab
Just DW & me......

chesterb

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally, if you are camped near a spigot then you could run a hose to your camper and fill up. If the spigot is threaded then you can just connect directly or, in some cases, you need a water thief which you can get in the camping section at Wal Mart or any good camping supply store. I will say, though, that I have had a few people grumble over the years when I did this. They think I'm hooking up permanently and then they confront me but it usually ends well.

With regards to Salt Fork, however, if I recall correctly the spigots are the type where a water thief won't work. They have a freshwater fill-up on the way in. Your best bet is to fill your tanks on the way in. I've been there a few times.

2011 Dodge 2500 Hemi, Crewcab, 4x4, 4.10
2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, the weight is fairly trivial. I'd much rather have water available from a known good source than arrive at a CG and find the stuff is noxious, or at worst polluted. So, I fill up where my TT is stored with a water filter and keep it full. The only time I will dump the FW tank completely is if I have to winterize.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Filling Fresh Water Tnak
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS