|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Boat and TC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pa traveler

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be careful ,some ramps are slimy ,If ramp is not steep or slippery should be okay. They sell telescoping tennis balls for lining up ball and hitch,you could put them on side of boat to aid backing up. I just wait to see boat in sideview and adjust. Its nice to have 4 wheel if you run into a problem. With a Lance 1191 ,im taking camper off then launching,sometimes you are out pretty deep to lauch and recover boat.

TheBrawns

Happy Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have stated as long as you can see the boat/trailer it is not difficult. I had (before moving to GA) a 18' Hewescraft sportsman and had no issues at all. Your boat is much larger so there is no doubt that you will be able to see the boat/trailer.

In my opinion there is no need for a front hitch. I bought one for my truck and still to this day have not used it once.

2010 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 CC SB
2004 Northstar Laredo 850

"Never wait for tomorrow for tomorrow may never come"

ILLTravler

New Lenox, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pa traveler wrote:

Forgot to mention ,get a rear view camera.

+1

11 Chevy 3500 long bed EXT CAB 6.6 4X4
2005 Host 8.6 Bachelor SS TC
97 BRYANT BOAT

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Western Sky Ranch wrote:

Wouldn't a front-end hitch come in handy in this sort of situation?

Only if you use 4x4 LOW.

Here is why.... Reverse gear is a higher gear ratio than first gear. The torque converter will slip more which gives the illusion of making more power in reverse. It also makes A LOT of heat. So if you are going UP a boat ramp, in reverse, with a front hitch AND a camper on the back, you will generate a ton of heat in the transmission. And heat is what kills transmissions. Quickly.

Put it in 4x4 low and that should help. It would still be better to try to move all that weight up the ramp going forward in 4x4 low.

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Wheelholder

jacksonville, fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The advice above is good. In my opinion, the best advise you can get is to "practice, and then practice "more. The hardest part is not seeing the boat. However, if you back until you see the edge of the trailer or its shadow, make small corrections, you should not have any problems.

Just go slow and do not be afraid to pull forward to correct the angle. Most times it does not take a lof of forward movement to straighten up a boat trailer.

It is easier to back a longer trailer. I would prefer to back up my 53' foot trailer than a boat trailer any day.

2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

pa traveler

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention ,get a rear view camera.

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to have a 21 foot Four Winns which was long and wide like your Custom Weld. You will have no problem with seeing your boat and trailer. I have no problems launching my 19 foot Bayliner with my 11 foot Lance on my crew cab dually and I regularly use a rather small ramp at the local lake. When it is tight, I just pull forward and straighten out a few times. Good luck and have fun boating!

BTW, I've never had any traction problems on any ramp with my camper on. I thought I was going to get stuck on a sand ramp once, but I was easy on the throttle and away we went.

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW. 7.4L, Auto, 1985 Lance 900, 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for a rear view camera

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

sleekcrafter

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as I can see my trailer fenders, in the side mirrors, I'm good... with 4 low it walks in and out like a dream.

I'm using the torklift hitch/60" torklift extension. Towing is snap, boat stays behind the truck on corners, vs cutting the corner (curbing) before.

* This post was edited 07/10/12 08:34pm by sleekcrafter *

2001 7.3L F350 CC SB DRW BTS auto, Elkhorn 11X TC, 1979 Belco Tunnel Dragster DragBoat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Boat and TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS