|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camp site light

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chuck and Di

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

Thanks for the information on the brightness of the Coleman gas lantern, that was one thing that I was wondering. Most of the lights that I have been looking at are rated in Lumens so it is hard to compare the gas to the newer ones.

I did a bit of poking and found there's a huge difference in light output of the various gas models. Mine is over 50 years old and claims a 200W equivalence, however the most recent Coleman spec sheet for it's dual-fuel North Star states 1138 lumens, which would be closer to a 70W bulb. Size of the mantle, fuel type and pressure all make a difference. Of course, the real measure would be lux on a work surface or other area of interest. You can throw the lumens in all directions like the lantern, wasting most of the light, or focus a small number of lumens with a lens and get more lux on the area of interest like a flashlight does. Certainly the ability to focus more easily is the big LED advantage, but if you want an area light, none of the LED lanterns seem to have more than about 1/4 the light output of the old naptha beasties. I've noticed some LED street lighting coming out of the far east recently, but they require a LOT of watts to operate.

Michigan Rod

Troy,MI.,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a couple Cabela's LED lanterns. They take 4 D batts. and have a remote. 12 small LEDs. I leave the lantern on the kitchen counter and the remote on the night stand in the cabover.Works great for me.

2003Chevy LT3500,crew cab,4x4,Duramax/Allison,Firestone air bags w/in cab controls,Rancho RS 9000X shocks,cabover struts,Happijac tiedowns.Rhino bed liner. ReeseTowBeast.
2004 Lance 1161,generator,sofa,twin beds,rear observation camera,Chet's AirFoil

Western Sky Ranch

Norco, California, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis&JoAnn wrote:

I have a number of Black Diamond Apollo's that run on AA cells and recently added a Black Diamond Titan that runs on 4 D cells. I hesitated for YEARS to switch to battery powered lanterns. These have been very sturdy, the batteries last a long time. They are adjustable output and throw a good amount of light on high. I'd recommend these models. I've owned the Apollo's for a year plus and the Titan for 4 months or so. I've used them extensively. For me they are a vast improvement over gas. As always, YMMV.

Dennis

X2 on the Black Diamond Apollo, Here's the link:

http://www.rei.com/product/807909/black-diamond-apollo-lantern#video-inner

Watch the accompanying videos to narrow down your choice.

2003 Ford F250, Super Crew, 4X4, 6.0 Liter Power Stroke Diesel with a Reese hitch.
2008 Carraige Domani DF300 fifth wheel

***And a 2011, Lance 825 Truck Camper!!***

RALLIES ATTENDED 2

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using Rechargeable LED lights from Harbor Freight for the past several years. I carry 3 in my T/C. It sure saves on the House Batteries.

Rechargeable LED Work Light with Magnetic Base

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

Dennis&JoAnn

Security, Co

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a number of Black Diamond Apollo's that run on AA cells and recently added a Black Diamond Titan that runs on 4 D cells. I hesitated for YEARS to switch to battery powered lanterns. These have been very sturdy, the batteries last a long time. They are adjustable output and throw a good amount of light on high. I'd recommend these models. I've owned the Apollo's for a year plus and the Titan for 4 months or so. I've used them extensively. For me they are a vast improvement over gas. As always, YMMV.

Dennis

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

Okay it is time to replace the old Coleman lantern (I keep breaking the glass when offroading- and that is with a case, and it is getting old). I was looking at some LED lights but I am unsure if they are bright enough.

What I want it for is for around the campsite as well as in the trailer.

Anyone have one that they would recommend?
Hi Photomike! I am not sure your use will be the same as mine, but I would recommend what I used EVERY night for over two years, a Coleman #4345 LED Lantern. It has never failed to work/light up and provided enough light to read (I am a reading fanatic) and do chores, setting it outside or in the trailer, to locate things in my bins at night. I ended up putting a band of Aluminum Foil around one side (see pic below), to help direct the light to what I am reading, as well as setting a baseball cap on it, to shade/direct light downward, to keep the BRIGHT light out of my eyes. (It does have an adjustment knob for brightness.) The lens is plastic, so there is not a concern for breaking it or those pesky silk mantles. I purchased it at Wal-Mart and now wish I would have purchased two, as I liked the one I have and would gladly have a second one. They still have them at Wal-Mart, just another evolution. To keep it charged, I would just plug it into the truck’s cigarette lighter, every morning. Last year, I switched over to a LED Light Bulb and Swing Arm Lamp, on the Dinette. It works much better, for task oriented work or reading. I just tried my Coleman #4345 LED Lantern now and it still works great and has not been plugged in for about 90 days.

Similar to what I have, from Wal-Mart Clicky

Wal-Mart selection of LED Lanterns and such; Clicky

REI Clicky

08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
600wSolar~8-6vGC2-928AmpH~Tri-Star45/4MPPT Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-240AmpH~Tri-Star45/4MPPT Xantrex 1500W
12 BMW R1200GS Adventure
06 Honda CRFX450
09 Haulmark Trlr

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

Okay it is time to replace the old Coleman lantern (I keep breaking the glass when offroading- and that is with a case, and it is getting old). I was looking at some LED lights but I am unsure if they are bright enough.

Get a Century lantern with the wire mesh guard on it instead of glass, broken globe solved .

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Photomike wrote:

Get a Century lantern with the wire mesh guard on it instead of glass, broken globe solved .

How long does a propane cylinder last? I will have to look into these.

About the same as if you were to use the coleman model, it's basically the same style of dual mantle propane lantern, but Century's have a mesh globe option available for them that the Coleman's don't.

I have yet to run a bottle out yet with the lanterns, and they can also be used with the riser pipe that clamps onto a 5lb or larger standard propane tank.

Century Camping - Lanterns

Lantern Accessories

Apparently their mesh globe will fit a few Coleman models as well, Coleman 5150, 5152, 5154.

buggsy

Harveys Lake, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the spring tabs that support and hold down the globe, they should be 1/4" or so up from the bottom and down from the top. Do not overtighten the nut on the top of the lantern.

Went thru 3 globes a couple years back before I figured out the problem.

2005 Superduty
2011 Shadow Lite

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Photomike wrote:

How long does a propane cylinder last? I will have to look into these.

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 4 Door
1992 Northern Lite 9'- 6" Camper with cargo trailer for hauling supplies
Advanced Elements Kayaks
Border Collie Guard Dog

Paterson Photography Web Site

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camp site light
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers