|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Which Car is best for towing behind motorhome

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
rtomson

here

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello. Wife and I are very new to RV'ing. I'm sure this topic has been covered before with the newbes, but I can't seem to find where in the blogs. We have just purchased a Thor ACE 29ft and would like to know which cars to consider for towing behind the motorhome. I have done some research and now understand that a flat 4 wheels down tow is the top recommended method. But beyond that we are lost and need some guidance. We only need a small car to take day trips and get groceries. Wold like to know which car(s) are recommended for our situation. And I've read that in some states some type of suplemental braking is required. Don't know anything about that and need help there too. Can someone point us in the right direction?

Thanks, Robert.

Don/Shar

Sioux Falls, SD/ Lebanon, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We towe a Jeep Wrangler, very easy hook-up and the motorhome don't even know its there. go to this address and get a free copy of the Motorhome Magazine 2012 dingy towing guide. It is very helpful on deciding which dingy to buy for towing.
http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/motorhomemagazine.com/2012MHGuidetoDinghyTowing.pdf

Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

daveshan

Durango Colrado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a '98 Jeep Cherokee (production from '86-'01) IMO it's a perfect toad. Light, plenty of room and very off road capable. Wranglers are also a great toad, but mine can't really be flat towed anymore.

'99 Alpine 36SDS/8.3 ISC 330 Cummins
Or
'05 Lance 845
'06 Super duty SC/SB 6.0
Upgrades include: StabilLoads, Air Bags & Timbrens,Swaybars

Usually towing an '01 Wrangler, lifted/locked on 35"s or a mildly built '98 Cherokee on 33"s (only one locker)

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeep. (NOTE: SOME '70s into the '80s Jeep CJs are not towable unless the transfer case has been modified or changed!)
Original VW Beetles, Karmann Ghias, and Things, and the various custom vehicles (Manx, etc.) that were made from them.)

Actually, many people use dollies, and more than a few use flatbed trailers.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each of the three methods. There are even people who don't tow ANY vehicle, but rent a car when they need one. Choose what is right for YOU, and for the vehicle you wish to take along.
Good luck

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Idealy, the best car to tow is your everyday car. Unfortunately, not every car is towable. Don/Shar directed you to Motorhome Magazine's Guide to towing. That will tell you which cars are towable and any restrictions. Some MHs are limited to 3500#. Check your owner's manual and also the info in the Dingy Towing Guide.
If you have the MH and car equipped to tow by a dealer, expect to pay about $3000. The cost can be reduced by doing some or all of the work yourself.

I don't know which states require supplemental braking, I thought all did. Regardless of the law, you should have it.

I tow a Subaru. Only the manual transmission Subarus can be towed 4 wheels down.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

joraz

Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow A Subaru Forrester, used to tow a Subaru Legacy and used to used to tow a Suzuki Samarai. Lots of choices.
jor

95 Foretravel
Cummins M11 400
Allison 4060

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to tow a Ford Focus manual transmission.
We now tow an automatic 4 wheel drive small pickup (Chevy Colorado).

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of people tow Suzuki Grand Vitara 4 wheel drives.
We had one and loved it but never towed it because we traded it due to mileage.

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saturn Vue is another. They don't make them anymore but you might find a good used one.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don/Shar wrote:

We tow a Jeep Wrangler, very easy hook-up and the motorhome don't even know its there. go to this address and get a free copy of the Motorhome Magazine 2012 dingy towing guide. It is very helpful on deciding which dingy to buy for towing.
Clicky for dingy guide

I bought a Ford Edge, because it has a really comfortable back seat, and I wanted to be able to carry 4 adults in comfort, it will seat 5. I am 6'4" tall, and find the back seat very comfortable even with the drivers seat all the way back.

For a braking system, I used a cruise control motor from a junkyard car, it already has a cable attached to it, and that goes around a pulley near the floor behind my brake pedal, and attaches to the brake pedal arm. So when vacuum is applied to the old cruise control motor, it pulls the cable, applies the brakes.

I ran a vacuum line from the engine to my rear bumper, and have a air line quick disconnect, then on to the car with a few important check valves so the vacuum braking will still work while the toad is bot being towed.

I also like the ability to have a automatic transmission in my towed car. The motorhome Magazine list above can be changed to check various years from 2002 to the present.

Ford also lists there towable 4 wheels down vehicles in their RV and towing guide. You can download that through a link at Ford.com.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2007/2007_default.asp is the 2007 model year, you can go to that sight and change to other years.

Fred.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Which Car is best for towing behind motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS