Today my 2001 Fourwinds Huricane 33SL would not start in my attempt to take it on a 280 mile trip. Called Good Sam and a tow truck was dispatched. I was very pleased when the driver called me 1 hour before scheduled and said he was at the storage lot.
In my opinion the wrecker looked small and I asked the driver if it could handle my RV? He reassured me that it was.
My friend and I watched as he was having problems adjusting the arms of the unit to fit the wheels. He finally tightened everything down removed the DS and asked if I could follow him since he didn't have any safety lights. I told him no problem, we were off to CW 10 miles away.
The storage unit driveway is a small hill and has 2 speed bumps. It appears that when the wrecker hit the first bump the rv fell off the towing device and the driver stopped and proceeded to "gun" it to make it over the bump. In the end he basically pulled off the entire front clip. The clip is still attached but is separated at the bottom and at the roof it looks S if it was damaged as well. The upward force caused a rippling effect on the inside causing the wood to fall out of the rv and buckle on the inside front walls all the way to the door. The passenger side front window popped out in 3 corners and is broken, the passenger side window has a gap in the top moulding and lots of wood damage along inside wall. Two table screws are now protruding (barely) through the exterior.
The driver immediately called the towing company owner and the owner told me they would tow it to his shop for inside storage since the window was also popped out and broken. He told me on Monday he would inspect it with me present and that he would either repair the damage or if too expensive call the insurance company of buy it from me. One of those three choices.
My opinion is that the RV will never be the same if it is repaired. I worry that the roof will leak later and cost me money down the road and that there may possibly unseen damages to everything, since the force of everything was enormous.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
What was the outcome?
Am I doing the right thing trying to let the company work it out?
Will post pics as soon as I return home, this is still on going.
Have you contacted Good Sam's? They were the ones to send out the towing company.
I would guess that the argument will be as to the value of the coach, vrs the cost of repairs. They will undoubtedly use the lowest book value that they can find. Then again, you may be surprised and everything may work out all in your favor.
Best of luck with the outcome.
Have you called Good Sam to let them know the action of their towingcompany? That would be one of my first calls since they were the ones who sent that company. I guess after that you would have to see what the outcome is on Monday. Good Luck!!!
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake
I think it's good to give them a chance to make things right, and in saying that, they need to make things right by YOU. If you don't feel that it can be fixed properly, (which will really depend on who does the work, and if they know what they are doing), you may be right.
More than likely, because it will be a lot more than their deductable for the repairs you described, they will probably get their insurance involved....you should do the same with yours just to follow up. And I'd get a second opinion from an appraiser, not just "their guy".
It can wait until Monday, but then, you will need to make some decisions.
Maybe take some pictures of it, and post them....maybe someone can help you figure out just how bad it is.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293 The Pets
My first call was to my insurance company and just as I started to tell them the story the tow company owner was calling me, I made him wait to see what my insurance company said. Then I spoke with the owner and lastly I did call GS and let them know the problem, their reply "I hope everything works out".
The price is my dilemma, purchased last year from CW for $30k, just put about $5k in stuff on it for our voyage. Only 280 miles on it since we purchased it. Put $10k down and owe bank $19k. Have receipts for complete brake system replacement, new slide motor, new tires and batteries all the way around. What should I expect/ demand back?
In 30 years of driving I have never had any insurance claims so I don't have a clue on how to settle this.
I took a lot of pics and made videos as well. I guess Monday I will call my insurance company and or an independent inspector to assist me.
Keep the suggestions coming, I am still extremely agitated and can use the words of encouragement. Luckily my friend was also here and witnessed everything and started videoing and pictures with his phone.
The main purpose of insurance to to return you to where you were prior to the accident.
In this case, with only 280 miles on the coach, I would expect that you should receive the full amount that you paid for the coach, plus interest on the loan, plus any additional work that you have receipts for. YOUR insurance company should be looking out for your interests and also looking out for the bank loan. His insurance company will be trying to save as much money as possible, which is why you need your insurance company on your side. You should have zero out of pocket expense since this was entirely the fault of the towing company.
My wife had an accident with a person that had State Farm Insurance. My insurance company got involved but basically let State Farm handle everything. Our vehicle was totaled, State Farm asked me what I wanted, and then gave me an additional $380. You just never know how things like this will turn out. Give everyone involved a chance to do their thing but at the very first sign of things going south, make sure your insurance company is contacted. No good will come to mention anything about a lawsuit until you give everyone a chance to do the right thing. Relax now but come Monday it may be a good idea to contact the bank also and let them know what is happening.