|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camping World Service and Inst...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kpconnell

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can run two A/C units with 30A. A 12K and a 15K.

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 30 amp WILL run 2 ac's, and about NOTHING else. Maybe the tv, if you are lucky the ac side of the fridge, you may have to burn propane to keep the power on. If I were ot do it, I would run a dedicated 20 amp power inlet for the second AC.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spreecandy wrote:

Is it normal for a 2013 Forest River fifth wheel air conditioner to not keep up with 104 degree outdoor temp . We have a 32 ft three slides fifth wheel with a 15,000 btu ducted A/C.

Did you buy from Camping World?

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all Forest River units are of the same quality. The more you spend the better the insulation factors. In general most will not get cold enough without a second A/C unit.

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

kpconnell

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on my rig its 26amps.. leaving 4. or 440 watts. ten laptops. plenty for us.

although the extra circuit is not a bad idea as a lot of camps have a 20 sitting there on another breaker.

christopherglenn wrote:

A 30 amp WILL run 2 ac's, and about NOTHING else. Maybe the tv, if you are lucky the ac side of the fridge, you may have to burn propane to keep the power on. If I were ot do it, I would run a dedicated 20 amp power inlet for the second AC.

Skylark

Western NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have 50 amp service and the 15,000 btu unit pulls a max of 17 amps on line one but when running goes down to 6 to 8 amps and the 13.5 btu rear unit pulls 12 amps max. I have been able to run both on 30 amp connection but with nothing else on. Sky

kpconnell

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am still perplexed by people who say 30Amps just won't do with 2 A/C units. We have been running ours in the midwest heat wave for a couple of weeks now, we have enough spare to run our inverter/charger at 20-30amps (12V), refer, lights, and a half dozen accessories e.g. laptops, cell phone chargers, etc. Ya, the controller will shed occasionally, but overall things are fine. We turn off the rear AC to run the microwave or hair dryer, but other than that, all is well (and we are monitoring voltage, staying above 105v the whole time.)

Skylark wrote:

I do have 50 amp service and the 15,000 btu unit pulls a max of 17 amps on line one but when running goes down to 6 to 8 amps and the 13.5 btu rear unit pulls 12 amps max. I have been able to run both on 30 amp connection but with nothing else on. Sky

kckettridge

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/12 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

therink wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention, if you already haven't checked this: make sure that the foil tape in the ceiling vents is providing a good seal around the opening so that precious cooled air is not entering the attic space. It is alsoa good idea to remove the inside cover (4 screws) and make sure the foil tape is neat and providing good seal in there as well. Redoing the crappy factory foil taping in these areas was one of the first things I did when it was new. I'm sure this made a positive difference with efficiency and air flow.
Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve....I will definately be doing this on Saturday. Maybe that is one reason our's won't keep up with the heat either.

therink

Rochester

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kckettridge wrote:

therink wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention, if you already haven't checked this: make sure that the foil tape in the ceiling vents is providing a good seal around the opening so that precious cooled air is not entering the attic space. It is alsoa good idea to remove the inside cover (4 screws) and
Let me know what you find. make sure the foil tape is neat and providing good seal in there as well. Redoing the creappy factory foil taping in these areas was one of the first things I did when it was new. I'm sure this made a positive difference with efficiency and air flow.
Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve....I will definately be doing this on Saturday. Maybe that is one reason our's won't keep up with the heat either.

Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs wet
2012 Silverado 3500HD, SRW, LTZ, 4x4, Z71, CC, 6.0 Gasser, 4:10 Axle, Short bed, payload 3,900 lbs.

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

kckettridge

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/13 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought our A/C unit in our new Coleman (Dutchman) was just too small (15000 btu) that wasn't keeping up with the heat on hot days but I see we are not alone. Our last TT (Extreme Sportsmaster 252TS) which was a stick and tin job with fiberglass insulation had a 13000 btu, Coleman Mach A/C unit and it used to get freezing cold in there.

* This post was edited 07/25/13 10:16pm by kckettridge *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camping World Service and Inst...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS