|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Unisolar Flexible Solar Panels "Self Stick"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
wa_desert_rat

Central Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought two Unisolar 68-watt flexible solar panels with the idea of installing them at the edges of the fiberglass roof on my coach. They are installed by removing a plastic film and then laying the "sticky" side down.

Information I have is that this self-stick was primarily designed for metal roofs (although there are words implying "any roof").

Has anyone had any experience with installing these panels on an RV using the self-stick feature? The edge of my RV is slightly rounded which will be ideal if they hold. I'd like to see if anyone has had any success with this before I contact Unisolar for their advice.

BTW: these flexible panels are amazing... nowhere near as temperamental when it comes to shadows and output.

Craig

Curkel207

Petaluma, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may have trouble contacting UNISOLAR, since their parent company filed for bankruptcy. Good luck though. I've seen successful threads on here or another forum of UNISOLAR installs.

Curtis, Katy, Eoin, Ozzy (Aussie), and Milo (Jack Russel)
2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L 4X4
2013 Keystone Cougar 281BHSWE

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a bunch of installs. I am sure someone did Unisolar self stick panels.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25705772

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

wa_desert_rat

Central Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found this link to be pretty interesting:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25994823/gotomsg/25995153.cfm#25995153

Many conflicting opinions; one saying that a certain configuration is ok and another saying that it's not. The OP seems confused.

Still... weeding through 48 pages there are glimmers of good information here. All about wiring configurations and not much about whether or not the sticky Unisolar panels stick to a fiberglass roof or not; however, there are photos in other threads of them apparently sticking just fine. So I reckon I'll be brave and test it.

Thanks for the URLs.

Craig

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know of one couple who have a fiberglass Scamp trailer, and they attached a different brand of flexible panel to the top with VHB (Very High Bond) tape. Their solar panel didn't come with stickum to start with. They've driven something like 8 months and many thousands of miles (full timing) and it hasn't come off. Sorry that isn't directly to the point, but it does show in general that adhesives can stay stuck to fiberglass.

wa_desert_rat

Central Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually bought the Unisolar panels without realizing that they had their own "stickum" so I have a roll of VHB tape. But I am pretty sure that the VHB tape won't like cooperating with the Unisolar stickum so it's either that or try to remove it somehow.

I just recommended Unisolar panels - which are priced nicely right now - to a friend with a Scamp.

Craig

BozemanTrail

Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 4 68W panels on my roof. Installed a few months ago. Can't tell you long term, but so far so good.

BTW -- a company seems to take the 68W unisolar panels and sells them with a little extra edging, etc.

http://www.flexenergydelsol.com/

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are companies that install the self sticking panels (unisolar?) for you. The panels stick to fiberglass and they don't come off. Of course you need to be sure the roof has been cleaned very well before sticking them down. Eternabond stays on fiberglass (and TPS too I understand) so does the VBS tape so it is not too surprising that the solar panels also work fine.

We're hooked!
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e

wa_desert_rat

Central Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone... makes me feel better knowing others have done this before me. I'm starting to wish that I had bought a couple more of these 68-watt panels after checking out the resistance to shadowing.

Craig

csorba

here

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a 128 watt uni-solar on my rubber TT roof 2 weeks ago, the back is really sticky. Should be good for fiberglass roof. Just make sure you put it where you want. No redo's with these panels.

I don't believe you will get the panel off once it's stuck.

2011 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Super Crew
2011 Jayco Eagle Superlite 314BDS (35')
510 Watt solar, dual six volt batteries, 65 gallons fresh water upgraded, always adding more stuff

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Unisolar Flexible Solar Panels "Self Stick"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS