|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing AWD Honda CRV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Geobiker

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, I hope to buy a 2012 honda Awd CRV EXL with navigation system this morning. I know the 2wd can be towed flat and I believe the 4wd can be, but can the AWD with Navi be towed with all 4 down. Everything I have found on the subject refers to 2wd and 4wd, but the new hondas are either 2wd or awd. Or is the 4wd and awd one and the same and I am worring about nothing. Obviously I am not very savy in this regard and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Popsie

Livingston, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The AWD CRV is towable following Honda's procedure. The Honda CRV is not available with 4WD (meaning you have no option to choose 2-wheel drive - which would be front wheel drive in the case of the CRV).

AWD and 4WD are not the same

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always read the manual as there could be changes. The CRV AWD is towable.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you even give a dollar to the seales person, contact Honda direclly on Monday and talk to factory rep, and make shure that the unit can be towed at all.

Do not ask the sales man they normally have no idea what they are selling, they will tell you whatever is needed to get the sale done.

Navegator

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALL Honda CRV s are at towable. And there is no black and white definition for AWD VS 4WD. Honda started putting 4 WD Stickers on AWD cars with no transfer cases.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes the 12 CRV AWD can be towed 4 wheels down. Page 235 and 236 of the owners manual gives the detailed instructions on how to. Set transmission, steering and turn off electrical devices to prevent running the battery down, speed limitations 65mph. To avoid damage to AWD systems, the vehicle must be towed 4 down. Dolly towing will result in severe damage.
Page 236 of the manual gives directions for Extended Towing, more than 8 hrs a day. Basically repeat engine/transmission start run and pull radio accessory fuse. We have eliminated this step by installing a charge line from the MH.
The 4 wheel down towing was also confirmed by a friend, who works in the engineering department of Honda. (as well as the dealer.

Beverley and Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

EASY.RIDER

Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All Honda CRV's are towable, as said above there is no such thing as a 4wd, although sometimes it is called a 4wd, it is awd. You can check with Honda, (I did) to get the straight info, you will feel better when you do. The manual will give you instructions on how to tow this vehicle, which are very easy to follow.

Tom

Geobiker

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry. I justr bought my 2012 Honda CRV awd EXL with navi yesterday and insisted the salesman let me look at the manual before I signed on the dotted line. Confirming what has been correctely stated. It is flat towable; the AWD MUST be flat towed as mention and you do need to pull fuses for extended towing. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now I have to investigate two things. Since I'v been towing for a bit and have the Roadmaster all terrain blackhawk tow system with brake master supplemental breaking system, I'll need to see what (in addition to a new face plate for the honda), I have to get to set up the honda to make it compatible for towing.

And, a long time ago I read about a fuse switch made by RV-Parts Plus which is supposed to solve the problem of a dead dingy battery without pulling fuses. OR Toad Charge Minder that is supposed to keep the dingy battery fully charged while towing. I think this devise is made by LSL Products in Texas. Which I think gets permanently installed in the honda.

Anyone with experience in these areas.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing AWD Honda CRV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS