|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How Can I Extend Tire Life

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 12:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the original tires on my Class C with 38K miles and I keep it inside on a concrete garage floor. No sign of real tread wear or splitting and I keep inflation near perfect.

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/12 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very best thing get in and drive it every month more tire movement the longer lasting tire life. Even if you drive it 15 to 20 miles better then sitting in 1 place for long stretches.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, Hubby had a fit when I replaced our 9-yr old, 45,000 mile Michelins *because they were old*. They still look like new; zero cracking; hardly any tire wear at all. We kept them inflated the way Michelin suggests for the weight they carry - and our MH DOES sit for months without moving.

They are quiet, ride nice, and have great traction in the ice and snow. I replaced them with exactly the same thing. And no - I have no affiliation with Michelin other than liking their tires....LOL!!

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Well, Hubby had a fit when I replaced our 9-yr old, 45,000 mile Michelins *because they were old*. They still look like new; zero cracking; hardly any tire wear at all. We kept them inflated the way Michelin suggests for the weight they carry - and our MH DOES sit for months without moving.
Your husband and I think alike.

I plan to keep my OEM Michelin's as long as possible. Based on my first motor home, that should be at least 12 years. When not being used, our motor home is stored in a cool dark under-the-house garage. 5 years & 17,000 miles so far and they look brand new, including the side walls and in-between the threads. My tires still smell brand new. The interior of the rig still smells brand new too.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At your OWN risk and only speaking from MY experience, over inflating the tires by 5-10 psi greatly extends tire life and the tires I've owned always seemed to wear more evenly on all the vehicles I've had. MY OPINION.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replace our tires at the 4 year mark no matter how good the tires look or how much tread is left. You can argue all day long about this issue but here is the bottom line. If I am wrong your right and I could have used the tires another 4 years I wasted $1600.00 If I am right and your wrong you could have thousands of dollars in damage to your RV and you possibly could have an accident causing someone serious injury or death.
I personally am not going to gamble the life of any one for $1600.00

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is very easy to see why original tires can not last as long as replacmemts. I live close enough to Elkhart to go to Das Essenhaus for lunch. You see open fields with chassis only sitting there waiting for something to be built on top. The sun can get to all sides of those tires 7 days a week until they get taken in for finishing. We all know about getting a unit on a year old chassis.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 04:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I change my oil every 3k even though I'm told that's way too soon. Everybody has their own way of handling maintenance issues.

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I notice that some of you folks posting above about great sidewall life of Michelin tires live in Michigan or Illinois. Those are a couple of states that have higher average humidity year-in and year-out than many states in the Western U.S..

Thinking out loud, I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with it?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TyroneandGladys wrote:

We replace our tires at the 4 year mark no matter how good the tires look or how much tread is left. You can argue all day long about this issue but here is the bottom line. If I am wrong your right and I could have used the tires another 4 years I wasted $1600.00 If I am right and your wrong you could have thousands of dollars in damage to your RV and you possibly could have an accident causing someone serious injury or death.
I personally am not going to gamble the life of any one for $1600.00

4 years is very conservative --- industry recommended is 7 years, but if you got the money, and you like the peace of mind, all the more power to you.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How Can I Extend Tire Life
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS