RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: tire failure from excessive speed?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> tire failure from excessive speed?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
retired-tech

flint mi

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Riddle me this, if we all know that trailer tires arent rated for the speed that traffic normaly travels at how many of these ST tire failures are being caused by driving to fast. I have been wondering about this as i roll down the road on my serioiusly outdated tires and driving 55mph getting passed by a bunch of RVs. In the last three outings I have probably seen a dozen vehicles that had passed me sitting beside the road with at least one exploded tire.

We all know that flex creates heat and the faster you go the more flex you create. After long stints at speed the tires can become overheated. This is why cars built for extended long fast runs are adorned with those rediculously low profile tires. However flex is needed for traction and ride quality.

Any thoughts on this.

2000 K3500 CCLB DRW 6.5 TURBO
2009 Cougar 320 SRX
2007 atlas 24 auto hauler
1987 GMC origional low miles

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Under inflated....overloaded.....exceeding tire speed rating....parked for extended periods

Then throw in poor quality/materials/workmanship coupled with twist/torque of trailer axles

All tire killers.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Oldtymr

Lake Tapps, Washington, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have run at about 65-67 where permitted for 8 years on our 5er with no problem (knock on wood). Oldtymr says pump up the tires to the pressure on the tires ... when they're cold! We have friends who don't do that, and they've had blow-outs. Two of those couples won't tow anymore because of blow-outs, and that's sad.

Retired: Every day is Saturday!
2004 Chevy 3500,D-Max,LB7,DRW,4X4,Allison,CC,LB
AFE Air Induction,Banks 4" Exhaust,J&J SS Boards & Flaps
16K Hijacker Hitch,Prodigy Brake
2004 HitchHiker 33LKTG
Datastorm F1/D3/7000 * Wireless!

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a whole formula chart once here on the forum that went into great detail about what an ST tire should be ran at using the heat of the current weather, speed and load to match the tires to the air pressure they should be ran at.

We have to tow at 55 mph here in California by law..and that's my comfort zone pretty much. And I air up to what it says on the side of my Jayco. Never had a tire failure either. Always Goodyear Marathon ST's over the last 7 trailers...USA made, Made in New Zealand and Canada. Not Chinese made tires!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

tsetsaf

Full-Timer

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you spend any time on this forum you will know all about tires... but members of this forum make up a very small percentage of the driving and towing public. A vast majority of folks have never considered the result of their speeding ways.

'06 Dodge 3500 5.9L CTD 6spd Manual SB SRW - Pullrite SG - Ride Rite Airbags - Rickson 19.5 Steelies 150K and going strong
2014 Premier Elite 44' Fifth Wheel... calm down it is within the weight limits of my truck.
RV Park and Campground Directory

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Under inflated....overloaded.....exceeding tire speed rating....parked for extended periods

Then throw in poor quality/materials/workmanship coupled with twist/torque of trailer axles

All tire killers.

Run LT "E" rated tires, then going 60 to 65 is not an issue. Would not tow any faster than that.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig and Precious.
Portland, OR.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed, 3.55 gears, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstien 5100's, 273,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was going 50 mph once and had a blow out. Forest river put underrated tires and two different sized tires on my TT.

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 01:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prior to reading on these forums that trailer tires were different, and had lower speed ratings, I had no idea. Looking closely at the sind of the tires, my old tires did say 65 mph max, but if I didn't know to look, I wouldn't have.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 11:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

All tire killers.

Run LT "E" rated tires, then going 60 to 65 is not an issue. Would not tow any faster than that.

I have LT 'G' rated tires speed rated at 75 mph.
I don't tow at that speed nor was my post specific....it was a generic answer to OP's post

Mark and Linda

Smyrna, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/12 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been towing at speeds close to 55 mph. It feels comfortable for me doing this. Recently I made a post about some guy towing at speeds close to 80 mph. I passed him in my Miata just to see what was pulling that tt so fast. Yesterday I was going down the interstate and noticed a tt that was being pulled in my rearview mirror. I slowed down some some he could pass me, just to check out his rig. He was from Alaska...doing 55 mph. A very good speed for the conditions....hot, very hot weather here in Middle TN.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> tire failure from excessive speed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS