RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Propane Powered Lantern?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane Powered Lantern?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Dad has a kerosene powered Coleman lantern that has to be about 30 years old. It's the kind that uses 2 mantles in it. It's still going strong.

Anyway, I bring a 20# propane tank with me to hook to me Weber BBQ. Is there a lantern I attach to my 20# propane tank. All the ones I have seen attach directly to the top of a 1# bottle.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a "tree" you attach to a 30lb tank and the lantern connects to the top of the tree. Then you can connect the stove and BBQ to other connection points of the tree. It can get kinda pricey if you get the whole setup.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check ebay.....Coleman Propane Lantern Stove Extension Hook Up Bar

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What everyone is talking about is This

but they want you to go searching,instead of helping.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Recycled El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds good, but I was planning on keeping the lantern on a picnic table and keeping my grill and tank outside. I guess the extension bar you posed will work if I keep the propane tank and lantern inside my screen tent and then get a longer hose to reach to my grill outside.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds like a very good idea,I have used it both ways with an extension there are a few different types with different openings. They are very handy.

Bigdog

silverdale wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That old Coleman kerosene lantern that may be 30 y/o is more than likely a white gas lantern and some of them can be converted over to propane with an adapter.I know that the old Coleman white gas stoves are adaptable.I have a Coleman lantern that was my parents from when we first started camping in the mid 50's and I still use it.I also had the 2 burner stove from back then and got that from my Mom after Dad died in 1980 and gave it to some friends about '95 and just a year ago they gave it to a young couple just starting to camp and it's still going strong,but on propane now.I think I'm going to give them my lantern so that they can get rid of their 4 cell lantern they have now.

GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

texas_train

Great State Of Texas!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/12 12:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm11599ps wrote:

Sounds good, but I was planning on keeping the lantern on a picnic table and keeping my grill and tank outside. I guess the extension bar you posted will work if I keep the propane tank and lantern inside my screen tent and then get a longer hose to reach to my grill outside.
I may have better alt?!? Plus this one doesn't give off large amounts of heat!
I'll go out on a limb here and recomend my newest one. I never thought I would like it, but it was a gift from DW! Turns out its really, really bright and extremely versatile "Coleman LED 4 pac lantern" Its just one lantern. But you can take off each of the 4 smaller parts and use separetly! It uses "D" batts to charge the Li individual batts/units and lasts 75 hours "really Cool!! spendy but really cool!
Wallyworld online coleman quad lantern
Have had it about a year now many trips and havent changed batts yet!

2012 Cedar Creek 36 RE Touring ED, all avail options
2011 GMC 2500 HD Denali DMax 4wd Superglide firestone bags
2007 Sea Ray 290 (31'1") Sundancer Dual 5.0 MPI's Bravo III's
Don and Rosie, Annie the wonder Dog
clicky to our photobook album

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any Camp store, Camping World, Wal-Mart, Meijers (If around) hardware stores, Fishing, Hunting, Outdoor stores, Sears (And thus likely K-Mart) Amazon and E-bay will all have a large assortment of propane lanterns, I have two in the motor home (Different makes)

I also have the "Tree" someone mentioned up-thread,, Got that at Sears more years ago than I care to talk about. (Goes back to my PUP days).

True story: Daughter got to college one morning and turned in her homework, All her classmates were turning in excuses.

Seems the lights went out in Detroit the evening before, I got home from work went out to the camper (A small TT then) grabbed a tub clearly labeled LIGHTS got both a White Gas Coleman Lantern and a couple of propane models, with tanks and came in and, shall we say, Lit up her life for the rest of the evening.

Folks would drive by, See our house all lit up, you'd hear the screech of brakes, a car reversing, THEN they saw the camper and figured it out.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

rustycopperballs

Four Corners

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

There's a "tree" you attach to a 30lb tank and the lantern connects to the top of the tree. Then you can connect the stove and BBQ to other connection points of the tree. It can get kinda pricey if you get the whole setup.

Quote:

Anyway, I bring a 20# propane tank with me to hook to me Weber BBQ. Is there a lantern I attach to my 20# propane tank. All the ones I have seen attach directly to the top of a 1# bottle.

We have the Coleman tree, powers our lantern, table top grill, and camp chef stove. The propane we use is off one of the two tanks up front, we just remove one when we arrive at camp, set up,put away when we are leaving, been doing this for years.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane Powered Lantern?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS