|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Whats your toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
chili's trip

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/12 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2009 Honda Fit Sport. (44k + 24k towed)
Falcon 2
Brake master

2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

Mooshaker

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Former toads included 2008 Jeep Liberty, 2004 Grand Vitara and 2001 Geo Tracker. Grand Cherokee best of all. Blue Ox towbar and baseplates. Even Brake system

rondeb

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 12:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

peaches&cream wrote:

rondeb wrote:

peaches&cream wrote:

paulcardoza wrote:

Hi peaches&cream,

Quick question....... Do you find that with the Miata, you miss having a toad that you can carry stuff around with when you are away? We have our Jeep Wrangler Unlimited set up to tow, but have been toying with the idea of setting up our Miata as well. With the two of us and two dogs, we just cannot imagine dealing with the Miata, only, when away. We do miss the little bugger when traveling though!!!

;-)

peaches&cream wrote:

I have towed a 1995 Mazda Miata over 10,000 miles. I tow it 4 down. Just put it in neutral and release the steering. Weight about 2200 lbs. I use brake buddy for supplemental braking and have the signals wired into the Miata so the lights work as commanded by MH. Use a Roadmaster tow bar and brackets. I Have towed it from Ga. to Ca. and back 2 times along with many other shorter trips. Great toad for 2 people plus our Pug.

We have never had a problem. We store the brake buddy in one of the MH compartments when we are in a campground and use the trunk of the Miata for groceries when we go to the store. We only have 1 dog, a pug, and he loves riding with the top down. I have often thought about someting bigger but the Miata has met our needs for 5 yrs. of traveling. There is another couple that camps with us often and they also tow a Miata. We were in Farmington, NM parked side by side and everyone coming in commented about 2 Miata's from Ga. parked outside. They draw attention where ever we go.

I will also agree that the Miata's definitely draw attention in the Parks.

I'm not sure what stuff you want to carry around. We carry a soft ice chest in the trunk for frozen stuff when we go shopping and for ice and cold drinks if we are out for the day. There is enough (you can't shop for a month) but enough for grocery shopping. We even buy cases of drinks and everything fits. I guess we plan so we don't buy too much. If there is something that we want to pick up that is bigger than the trunk, if I can't carry it on my lap, we wait to stop to get it on our way in or out of an area with the RV. The Mazda is a fabulous fun toad. It is small, but that is why we like it so much.

x2 It is a great toad, gets 30 mpg, very dependable, and a eye catcher.

We actually get closer to 40 MPG on ours. That is another great reason it is a fantastic toad.

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check our siggy...we tow a Chevy Malibu 4 down. To tow all we do is put in N, turn key to Acc, and pull the one certain fuse. As with all rigs it has to be set up with tow bar attachments and power plug.

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2000 Chevy Tracker 2 door. It is so light I don't even know that I am towing something.

ddndoug

St Louis area

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2009 Hyundai Sonata on a tow-dolly.

Doug

1996 Allegro 31M
F53 Ford chassis w/ 460 cid

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2007 Kia Sedona minivan, 4 down using ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake tow bar and braking system.

As to what we had to do to the van:
Remco Lube Pump - works great so far
tail light wiring (with diodes, all parts came with Remco pump)
Blue Ox baseplates
ReadyBrake braking system and ReadyStop break-away installed

..Not a small toad, and not cheap to set up. But, MH handles it with ease, and we need 7 passenger seating so don't really have much choice short of buying another vehicle.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

targaracer

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2010 Subaru WRX STi. blue ox tow bar and brake controller. Tows great and is a hoot when you get there.

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012 Ford Escape Limited AWD Automatic. Very happy with this Toad!

Jeff and Kim
2009 Bounder 35H (Gas Workhorse chassis)
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

windofthesouth

Savannah, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well up till recently 4th of july weekend, I was towing a 65 vw beetle. I am new to the rv world and I have to say every trip is a lesson. The last trip, refered to above I learned that what I thought would be a perfect tow behind is not so great if you have a breakdown and have to abandone the rv, which we did. Its a southwind setting on a f53 chasis (97) and its got some kind of fuel issue as in the fuel at some point dosnt make it to the engine, thinking fuel pump/dirty tank/enthanol gas or all the above. The beetle would be great to tool around town and go to the store, but when you have a wife, a three year old and a dog, theres barely enough room for the living things. So all the good food we bought, the clothing we packed and all the stuff you bring from the house when you go camping( no I havent duplicated everything for the rv) there is just no chance it will fit. Not to mention the idea of driving up I-95 is this summers heat with my wiife in the car (you know what Im getting at). So needless to say we rented the last available car in Jacksonville, packed it up and drove home, leaving our beetle with the RV at the repair shop. Now it appears that our tow behind will be my wifes honda van on a tow dolly. So much for good gas mileage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Whats your toad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS