RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Route to BlackHawk/Central City, Co.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Route to BlackHawk/Central City, Co.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
venicite

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to make trip from Salt Lake City, Ut to BlackHawk/Central City, Co in August. Any suggestions on the best route (i.e., Hwy 70 east, Hwy 40 east or Hwy 80). Is there any way of avoiding the grade up to Eisenhower Tunnel?

Botz, Betty, and Max (the dog)
2004 Silverado Ex Cab D/A
Alumascape 31 SKT

Thunder Mountain

Buena Vista, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

venicite wrote:

I am going to make trip from Salt Lake City, Ut to BlackHawk/Central City, Co in August. Any suggestions on the best route (i.e., Hwy 70 east, Hwy 40 east or Hwy 80). Is there any way of avoiding the grade up to Eisenhower Tunnel?

Any way you go you have to gain/lose the same amount of elevation. Suggest you take I70 to the Central City exit. Just time your drive to avoid commuter traffic. I too hate the long hard pull up to the tunnel. Sometimes you just have to do what you got to do.

2007 HR Endeavor 40'PDQ
2012 Rubicon
2012 Keystone Outback 250RS
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost
3 Cats
3 Dogs
2 Arctic Cats
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is always possible to take the peak to peak highway from Estes Park down to Central city and you have almost no grades at all. It's KIND of hard to travel much in the mountains though without towing up some grades and the Interstate is usually the fastest and easiest route.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best road signs, ever, are on the road that goes from Golden to Central City. Not sure of the road, but the signs say "In case of Flash Flood, abandon vehicle and climb!". Almost be worth being there in a flood just to see it.

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 11:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

It is always possible to take the peak to peak highway from Estes Park down to Central city and you have almost no grades at all. It's KIND of hard to travel much in the mountains though without towing up some grades and the Interstate is usually the fastest and easiest route.

Almost no grades on the Peak To Peak Highway? Estes Park is 7522 ft elevation. Ward is 9,450 ft. It takes some grades to change that kind of elevation. 4 to 5 percent grades are common on that road.

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 11:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you take I-70 you have the 8 mile climb from Silverthorne to the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels. And you also have a 8 mile climb from Vail to the top of Vail pass. Then a fairly stedp downhill to Copper Mountain.

US 40 requires you going over Berthoud Pass which has a steep climb.

I-80 to I-25 then US 6 through Clear Creek Canyon then Highway 119 into Blcakhawk will have the easiest climbs. But 6 and 119 are 2 lane roads with a few narrow places.

The new Central City Parkway from I-70 has a 8 percent grade in one part and a steep downhill as you enter Central City.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Route to BlackHawk/Central City, Co.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS