RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can either of these fans be made to run on 12V?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can either of these fans be made to run on 12V?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wrace

Seattle WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm considering one of these two fans to mount under the overhead cabinet, across from the entry door in my 22' tt.

I've put a fair amount of effort into setting this tt up for off-grid operation and would like that the things I add to it are capable of operating off 12v if at all possible. I have both 110 and several 12V (cig lighter) outlets near where this fan will be mounted.

This one is designed to mount under cabinet but looks to be 110v only.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/vornado-under-cabinet-fan/48687

This one looks to be 8 -D batteries or 110v. I'd have to put some cup hooks under the cabinet to hang this one from. I'm not really thrilled with having to supply the thing with D cells all the time, vs being able to plug it into one of the 12v sockets.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/o2-cool-10-indooroutdoor-fan/37638

Thanks

2oldman

Biloxi

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

inverter

Peg Leg

Anderson, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8 D cell batteries is 12v. If you look in the picture just to the right and around to the side from the slide switch you can see a round hole for a 12v input.

2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
06 Hitchiker II LS 29.5 FKTS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

brotim

Rensselaer, Indiana, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just purchased the same fan that camping world has at walmart this morning for $15.86. I'm guessing you could get a 12 volt lighter plug and wire it up the plug where you'd plug in the 110 adapter. If
you're not going to use the 110 adapter that comes with fan, just cut the wire from it and wire it up to the lighter plug, plug it into fan and you're in business. I haven't put fan in my trailer yet but am hoping it works well. It's light enough to mount about anywhere and it looks to me like if you didn't plan on using the d cells, you could remove that portion of the fan and have something that's ultra light. Good luck.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are hung up on doing a 12v fan go to a big truck stop and buy one.
They have a plethora of different model 12v fans for sale all ready to plug in!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

doughere

Mooresville NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

O2 Cool fans are also available at WalMart. I have one, used a cable (I think I got from Radio Shack, and a cigarette lighter plug (don't remember where from) and made a cable to run from trailer. Can now use D cells, 115 VAC adapter that came with unit, or plug into trailer.

Like the outcome.

Good Luck,
Doug

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic Fan makes a 14" that runs off 12v. If you have a solar panel I'd run it from that.

-Tom

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doughere wrote:

O2 Cool fans are also available at WalMart. I have one, used a cable (I think I got from Radio Shack, and a cigarette lighter plug (don't remember where from) and made a cable to run from trailer. Can now use D cells, 115 VAC adapter that came with unit, or plug into trailer.Like the outcome.Good Luck,Doug

I ran out and bought a couple of those to keep the dogs cool. The only drawback is the COST$ of the batteries!!! When I hit $100.00 invested in batteries I looked for a better idea!

Ryobi makes a GREAT portable fan that has a "rechargeable" 18V battery like the type that screw guns have. These are the BEST fans I have ever bought. It tips for direction and folds flat for traveling.

I leave them on the dogs if I have to leave the MH for a short time. That way if the a/c does go out they have air moving on them till I get back. I also use the fans in the car to keep the dogs cool on extreme hot days.

On low speed the battery lasts over 7 hours compared to the 02 Cool that lasted an hour at best with the D batteries.

I bought 2 of these Ryobi Rechargable fans 5 years ago! And they are still going strong! The news ones have a different look to them but work the same.

* This post was edited 07/10/12 04:07pm by rockhillmanor *

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on the O2cool fans. They are fairly quiet and they can be connected to your 12v. They are thrifty in power consumption compared to the industrial trucker fans.

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No on the first one and yes on the second one with the AC adapter

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can either of these fans be made to run on 12V?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS