|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> 1965 Holiday Rambler

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
letsgoplaces

walker

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi my husband and I are in our mid 50's and would love a vintage trailer to remodel. We are interested in a 1965 35 ft unit that has had several upgrades. Heating cooling and flooring are all new. We would love to know if this brand is a quality vintage product. It needs new tires and we really have no idea how easy or hard it would be to get them. This world is new to us so we dont know much except we want to start traveling by way of road trips again and we want an older trailer we can make our own. We;ve remodeled homes many many times and now we want to find a great trailer to make over but dont want to get stuck with a brand that isnt worth it. Please can anyone give me some advice or info on a trailer of this age and what we should be looking for or asking about? Thank you so much!!

JaneNLee

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/12 12:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DispSingleItem&ItemNumber=34625

1989 AirStream Auction closes today 12 N CST 7/11/12

Never RV with anyone crazier than you!!

letsgoplaces

walker

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 01:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What? I'm sorry I dont understand this reply.

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 03:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

letsgoplaces wrote:

What? I'm sorry I dont understand this reply.

I think he's giving you a website to buy an old Airstream TT without reading your entire post. It can run into money fixing up an old TT. May I ask why you want such an old one?

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 04:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Holiday Rambler is a well constructed trailer, there are still many older ones in use. To find one that is 45+ years old without water damage is pushing the improbability envelope. At the time it was built, modern sealants hadn't been invented and you will probably find separations between roof-to-wall joints and windows leaking around the frames. The water intrusion problem is BIG. It usually means disassembly of fixtures and walls to reframe the wooden structural components that are rotting.

Tires and wheels are readily available and that will be the easiest thing you tackle if you go forward with the Holiday. FWIW, I am entering month #7 on my restoration of a 1971 Starcraft (thread about that is in this section of the forum). I am a licensed residential building contractor with 40+ years in building trades and have all of the necesary tools at my disposal. Restoring vintage TT's is a lot of work but there are also big rewards, you'll end up with a trailer that is built for your use and should increase the reliability for the next 40 years.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 04:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

letsgoplaces wrote:

{snip}We;ve remodeled homes many many times and now we want to find a great trailer to make over but dont want to get stuck with a brand that isnt worth it. Please can anyone give me some advice or info on a trailer of this age and what we should be looking for or asking about? Thank you so much!!
Holiday Rambler was a good brand, but not worth fixing up to sell. I think that's what that first responder was aiming at. If you want to fix up an older trailer and get anything like your money back when selling it would have to be an Airstream. They hold their value better than any other brand.

Now if you want to fix up an older trailer to use and have fun, then the most important thing is water intrusion and damage. Once you start replacing walls, floor, and/or roof you are into a lot of work with only your own satisfaction as payback.

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 05:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
Did you check the Tin Can Tourists website? It's for vintage travel trailers. Maybe you can find some useful information.
The important thing with any RV is, check for leaks. If there are signs of water damage you may want to keep looking. A little water can do a lot of damage.
The tires should not be a problem, don't worry about that. But, do plan on replacing all the tires.
Whatever you decide to purchase, make sure the floor plan works for you.
Don't hesitate to ask questions on the forum.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you like vintage trailers,nothing wrong with buying it.As posted above the tin can tourist site is great. They come every year to Cedar Key FL.I don't think any one of them care about resale.And they are not built like the ones today.I'll bet in 20 years you won't see a 2012 trailer anywhere.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

Road Ruler

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the early 60's my dad was a HR dealer. He only sold quality products. HR's were heavier than most back then and quality built.

letsgoplaces

walker

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://fargo.craigslist.org/rvs/3130354830.html
This is the link to the exact trailer we are going to see today. to the poster who asked about why we want it. It is NOT for resale but for our own fun. We had a 1967 Shasta smaller unit with birch interior many years ago. Our only camper. It was in amazing condition and when we were done putting our touch on it we actually did sell it for more money than we paid. However thats not our intention now. We definitly are not experts in this area at all. we want to retire with a fifth wheel when the time comes but for now as long as we still have to work we wanted a camper that could contain a queen size bed ( not a table that turns into one) and a bathroom. We've been looking for awhile. My preference is the vintage because I like the look of older and quirky. I dont though want a huge mess to have to take care of so thats why I wondered about this brand. We were told they ripped out much of the wall area and replaced insulation however until we see it we wont know about any damage. I hope you can go to the photos of this camper and give me your advice.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> 1965 Holiday Rambler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS