|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Wet front wheel bearings - Workhorse 22

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Lobstah

Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone replaced on of the wet hub seals on a Workhorse W22 chassis? I believe the same seals were used on multiple W-series chassis.

Mine developed a leak this past weekend while returning from Maine, and I'm trying to figure out how much of a job it is.

Thanks,
Jim

2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer
3 Maine Coon cats

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/12 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inner or outer seal? The outer is pretty much a do it yourself type change but the inner requires a shop to remove the wheel hub, etc.
Here is a place to get the outer seal gasket and plastic cover. Gasket

Lobstah

Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's the outer, as the oil is splayed out on the outside of the tire...nothing on the inside.

Jim

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Than all it is is undoing the four bolts that hold the plastic cover, catch the oil as it runs out. Replace the gasket and install a new plastic cover with new rubber plugs.
Try to make sure that it is the gasket that is leaking because you can buy just the rubber plug or just the gasket if that is all that is needed. It can also be a crack in the plastic if it was ever overtightened in the past.
Once everything is put back together, you just fill to the line with fresh oil and that is it. Be sure not to overtighten the four bolts or you can crack the plastic cover.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the hub there is a circle which is marked "Fill line"

IS the proper level for a cold tire/hub The bottom of the circle, the top, or somewhere in between?

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Lobstah

Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it's the top. Mine has been leaking, and it's at the bottom now.

Thanks, rgatijent1, I'll take a closer look tomorrow. I don't believe the plastic is cracked, and it's been fine for the 18,000 miles I've put on it.

Jim

slickest1

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/12 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fill line is the bottom line of the circle just under the plug. If you overfill it will push excess oil out around the plug. Sometimes if the plug gets dirty it will weep a little oil out.

2000 H.R. Imperial 38wds rr8r roadmaster, isc 350 cummins
2007 Chevy Trailblazer, Blue ox towbar
Ready Brake with breakaway.

Daboo

Texas Panhandle USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I called eom and ordered the hub covers. They do a odd way they will send me an envelope and I mail a check and then they mail the parts. Would not take a credit card over th phone. Is this odd or am I off base

Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daboo wrote:

I called eom and ordered the hub covers. They do a odd way they will send me an envelope and I mail a check and then they mail the parts. Would not take a credit card over th phone. Is this odd or am I off base

It's just the way they do business. I've dealt with them before and you will get your product in a short time. Remember, any place that takes credit cards have to pay a fee to the credit card company. By not taking them, most places can keep their costs down.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lobstah,

Just a wild shot in the dark here, but have you recently had the W-22 brake recall done? I had mine done in November of 2010. In June of 2011 on our first trip out after the recall work was done, I noticed that the driver side front seal was leaking. (ON EDIT: Mine was the inner seal that was leaking.) I was going to change it myself, but when I went to the Workhorse truck repair place to buy the seal, he asked me about the recall. I told him the story, he checked and discovered they removed that wheel as part of the parts replacement. (Sometimes they have to remove the wheel, sometimes they don't, depending upon whether or not they have to replace the brake disk.)

Anyway, they fixed it for free.

By the way, in my research, I discovered that although there are after-market seals which cross reference to the Workhorse seal number, the other brands seem to be very susceptible to leaking soon after installation. Only the WH seal seems to have any longevity. No one seems to know why, they just do.

While my WH dealer wouldn't admit to it, I'm wondering if they weren't using the less expensive 3rd party seals on the WH Brake recall campaign & billing the customer (or WH) for the cost of the more expensive WH seal. While I hate to think a dealer might do that, I've had enough border-line shady experiences with this one dealer to make me wonder. He does have a sign up that if you don't take off your wheel simulator covers as part of the recall, there is an additional $100 charge to the customer. You can BET I took mine off before it went in.

Good Luck,

~Rick

* This post was edited 07/17/12 01:40pm by Rick Jay *

2005 Georgie Boy 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22 (Class A)
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (18-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (13), 2 boys (14 & 11).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Wet front wheel bearings - Workhorse 22
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS