RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Beware of Carefree’s exclusive Rain-Dump feature

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Beware of Carefree’s exclusive Rain-Dump feature

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I converted my manual awning to the Eclipse arm system using my existing roller and awning material. They have a conversion kit to do that. I think it was about $1200.00 5 years ago. Got it from PPL.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I could not and will not ever have a power awning. it is so simple to pull out a manual awning and pitch it so the rain runs off, that a power awning with a so-called "Rain Dump" seems unecessary and a waste of $$$.

This manual vs power awning BS gets old...I wouldn't have an Excursion as a tow vehicle either but who cares?

I do! And obviously many other people do too!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Exocet

Central NY, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least you have the version that is adjustable. My 09 Spree has the power awning, but it's not adjustable. Carefree didn't come out with that version until after I bought my TT. The really bad part is Carefree won't offer you any discount to upgrade to the adjustable version. The non-adjustable version was just a poor design that was rushed to market.

2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab, 4x4
Long Bed, Big Tow, Roadmaster Active Suspension

2009 Spree 318BHS
Reese Strait-Line 1200#
Tekonsha Prodigy

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camsa5 wrote:

I have the power awning and simply tilt one side when it rains for constant water run-off. Been doing this for 2 years now without a problem even in really heavy windless down pours. If strong winds start, it takes me a push of a button and 12 seconds to bring the awning in. If I recall, it took me 48 seconds longer to fully retract my manual one. I actually prefer my electric over the manual. I guess that's just me.

x2. Our A&E power awning rain dump works fine, but I usually pull one arm in and latch it to let it drain off as the mfg shows in the manual. Much easier to extend/retract, no bumping my head. Downside of the rain dump is that it DUMPS!! After 2 years, plenty of rain in the PNW and wind, I'm convinced electric is the way to go.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

mister_d

Southeast, MI - hardly qualified to be a

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our TT has an adjustable electric awning that we LOVE. At 2am, when everyone is running outside in their pj's to hurry up and pull in their manual awnings, I'm at the foot of my bed reaching for the button to pull it in.

BTW, I don't think it would be very hard to find a picture of each and every type of awning torn loose from a trailer. The debate of which is better in a storm is going to go round and round more times than the twister itself.

Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I could not and will not ever have a power awning. it is so simple to pull out a manual awning and pitch it so the rain runs off, that a power awning with a so-called "Rain Dump" seems unecessary and a waste of $$$.

This manual vs power awning BS gets old...I wouldn't have an Excursion as a tow vehicle either but who cares?

I am sure plenty of newbies care, and wouldn't know the differences if there were not these types of debates. This is clearly a thread about an electric awning, and if you know the type of debate that will ensue, and not something you care about, then don't open up the thread.

Many newcomers would have no clue of these differences if they didn't happen onto some of these threads.

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S.K.,

See my post at the top of page 5.

Jim

S.K.

Brecksville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 04:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exocet wrote:

At least you have the version that is adjustable. My 09 Spree has the power awning, but it's not adjustable. Carefree didn't come out with that version until after I bought my TT. The really bad part is Carefree won't offer you any discount to upgrade to the adjustable version. The non-adjustable version was just a poor design that was rushed to market.

Mine too. I have called Carefree and got the same answer as well. They do have a conversion kit but it is very costly, and, yes, no discount for those of us who happened to get the poor-designed, non-adjustable, what might be considered as a "beta" version on our new TT.

I saw the problem with the non-adjustable awning the very first day after taking possession of the new TT. I highly doubt whether the original designer had done any actual camping himself at all. My dealer had tried to bat for me and talked to Jayco asking for their help but at no avail also.

Has anyone actually done the conversion? How much did it cost you?

2010 Jayco Eagle SuperLite 298RLS
2010 Silverado 2500HD LT, Duramax, CCSB, 4x4
ProPride 3P-1000

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup the best awning in a storm is the one that's retracted against the RV. Power or manual. Most rv's that I see with awning extended has some sort of lights attached to them. Even power ones. Lol. Hard to put any awning in fast with a bunch of mess hanging off of it. Lol

I just had a thought.

We are talking about manual ve electric awnings.

I remember being a tent camper and looking at any rv'er wishing I was in one of them fancy rv's, under an awning or in the ac lol.

Just mildly amusing to me.

Thanks!

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mister_d wrote:

Our TT has an adjustable electric awning that we LOVE. At 2am, when everyone is running outside in their pj's to hurry up and pull in their manual awnings, I'm at the foot of my bed reaching for the button to pull it in.

BTW, I don't think it would be very hard to find a picture of each and every type of awning torn loose from a trailer. The debate of which is better in a storm is going to go round and round more times than the twister itself.

It's really a matter of preference. While I prefer a manual, I can see why some would prefer electric. It's nice they have different kinds though for all uses.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Beware of Carefree’s exclusive Rain-Dump feature
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS