|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> I've Cancelled my DirecTV Service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Madison, SD (but usually elsewhere)

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, let me begin by stating that I have NO complaints against the service per se. I've always been treated well by customer service and the picture quality has been flawless. I've been considering cancelling the service for a few years now since many RV parks I visit already have cable and over-the-air programming is also available. I felt that the approx $65 I was spending each month was not really worth it, although I have no regrets that I've been a customer for the past 15 years. Besides, I didn't watch most of the channels anyway.

It took some hesitation on my part to cancel because I do enjoy TV in the evenings while eating dinner and not every area I visit has decent programming available. For example, at my winter location in Yuma, AZ the local programming is close to abominable (at least in my opinion). If I wind up at an RV park in Yuma that doesn't have cable TV I'm going to have to learn to tolerate the local programs or read a good book instead .

Anyhow, it's nice to save the $65/month. That'll buy me about 1/2 tank of fuel

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition

2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm keeping mine. Even at $125.

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people have different goals in life. Mine is to enjoy my kids inheritance before they spend it on HD satellite and wireless toys.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

rnr07

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my Directv!! Sunday ticket coming soon... if you only watch a few channels it is easy to do without.
BUT especially on a rainy day it is really nice to have it and the dvr (I always record a bunch of movies before we go away just in case)

restlesswind

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DirecTV has dropped several channels that were provided by Viacom.There is "discussion" between them about money.In the meantime if you call customer service and complain,I'm told that they will offer other program selections to
make up for the dropped channels.I'm sure that any offers would depend on your present service tier.
I will be calling them as soon as I can run thru the channels to see what all I am missing.

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I figure that it was costing me about $50/hour of TV.....since we would watch maybe 10-12 hours in a year....and were just as happy with DVDs or the internet at night.

I could see keeping it, if it was what we used in the house, but we've got cable there, and the DirecTV was only in the RV. Just not worth it. I do love DirecTV, as we have it on the Tugboat, and yes, Sunday Ticket is great!!
But, we all have to cut corners these days, and I'd rather use that money to get way and enjoy ourselves.

Of course, I still hear from DirecTV all the time.....they are probably as bad as Good Sam when it comes to trying to get you back.....the envelope almost comes to the front door on it's knees

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loose DirecTV and Mama isn't happy. Mama’s unhappy everyone’s unhappy. I hate TV except for NCIS.

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

Alfred622

Rochester, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put the $ into good mobile Internet (Verizon MiFi + booster antenna) and can watch wnat I want when I want. Well, can't get everything, but between Netflix, Hulu, and a bunch of TV sites, I can sure get a lot.

Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most parks we go to also have cable and frequently air channels also. But there are a few that do not. One in particular we spend about 3 weeks at each summer. I really only care about the news and weather, and Discovery/NATGEO/History/RFDTV/Military channels, but DW likes several network shows.
But we have Dish at home. And adding Dish to the RV only cost an extra $7 per month. So the costs is not much concern to us.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the places I park the Batwing, fully upgraded (I added both the wingman and the Sensar Pro) snaggs so much Television I can't watch it all.

The one place I park for a long period (more than a night or two) I park where that is not the case... Free cable.

So why pay Dish/Direc?

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> I've Cancelled my DirecTV Service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts