|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Quality Control

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surveyorbob, I hurt for you and the condition you find yourself. I truly hope something good comes of it.

Of the four posts to date, you state you bought a Landmark San Antonio by Heartland in your first post, so it's rather obvious who you're dealing with. I would be up front with all and maybe additional pressure from other consumers and compatriots might help.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quality Control??? Just wait til you find out about Customer Service. Your in for the shock of your life.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

JC2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

surveyorbob wrote:

I have written a letter to the president of an RV manufacturer. Are the difficulties and frustrations expressed common in the RV world. We are newcomers.
The ******* indicators are not curse words. I did not want to identify the company or the dealer.

Why? Do you dislike us so much that you want us to make the same mistake you did, and buy that brand, from that dealer. We need to know, so that we can avoid the same mistake.

but then it does appear you do have a surveyor

I agree. I wouldn't hesitate to name the company as quality control seems to be lacking in the rv industry. Until the names are put forth for the public to see, it will unlikely get better. Your post does nothing to help others to avoid certain manufacturers and seemed to me to be an avenue to rant.

2004 Newmar DSDP 4015,Cummins ISL 370hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2008 Saturn Vue FWD Towed,FMCA #402879

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 11:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When did you send this letter? Did you get a response yet? Seeing you are a GS member, you can also try their Action Line.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JC2 wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

surveyorbob wrote:

I have written a letter to the president of an RV manufacturer. Are the difficulties and frustrations expressed common in the RV world. We are newcomers.
The ******* indicators are not curse words. I did not want to identify the company or the dealer.

Why? Do you dislike us so much that you want us to make the same mistake you did, and buy that brand, from that dealer. We need to know, so that we can avoid the same mistake.

but then it does appear you do have a surveyor

I agree. I wouldn't hesitate to name the company as quality control seems to be lacking in the rv industry. Until the names are put forth for the public to see, it will unlikely get better. Your post does nothing to help others to avoid certain manufacturers and seemed to me to be an avenue to rant.
Read my post above. It's a Landmark San Antonio by Heartland.

trickyvic3

Raymond NH.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an all to common problem in the RV industry. We've had many of the same problems you mention with our DP. I'm not going to get into naming names and I can't blame my dealer, as they have done alot to help us as best they could.
I laid out 230K in good faith thinking we were buying a good quality product. We were sadly mistaken.

I don't have enough time or space here to list all the problems we've had, or the out of pocket money we've spent trying to repair our MH and get it to where it should have been when we took it off the lot. I spend most of my time working and repairing it myself, as I can no longer afford to keep paying out.

We have spent our life savings now, and stuck with a piece of******that I can't trust to drive across the street!!
Bitter??? you can say that again!!

In my opinion, quality control does not exist in the RV industry and something needs to be done about it. Our state doesn't have a lemon law for RVs, or ours would have been long gone 3ys ago.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some years back I had a conversation about RV quality with the owner of our RV dealer. His assessment was that the RV industry as a whole is about 20 years behind the auto industry in terms of quality control. Since that conversation they have dropped 2 brand that I know of for exactly what this thread is about. So not all manufacturers are bad, but enough are that the industry doesn't have a great reputation right now.

I respect your choice not to name the dealer or manufacturer, but you might want to rethink that. You say now's the time to make a lot of noise. The Internet is the perfect place to do it. The power of social media and message boards is far better than a letter to someone who will just toss it in the trash. This little video caused a huge embarrassment to United Airlines. This is a fun read on what the airline went through to correct the problem and recover their stock price: http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/ravi-saw........ch/youtube-serves-180-million-heartbreak. In other words, if you don't get satisfaction from your letter, hit where it really hurts and let them know your doing it.

surveyorbob wrote:

Someone mentioned the auto industry. Notice the Corvair is no longer around. That started with one person. It is now time for a lot of us to make a lot of noise.

Not true. Do a little reading up on this. "Unsafe at any Speed" was published in 1965. The Corvair was made from 1960 to 1969. It died due to lack of sales, not by any effort of one person. The overall quality of the car was not Nader's beef, it was lack of safety features. By today's standards every car made back then was a death trap. What Nader did was raise auto safety awareness.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no qualms admitting I bought a very expensive piece of junk. In 2008, I purchased a new 2008 Holiday Rambler 40' DP made by Monaco, and as far as I'm concerned, it was a very expensive POS.

jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The US RV Industry does not care about quality. The solution is Foreign competition. Look at the history of the auto industry. When quality imports took over the auto industry, US companies lost hugh market shares and are now trying to get customers to switch back. I want to buy US made products but will buy imports when necessary.

surveyorbob

All over

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday I took a chance and admitted to being unwise in the choice of a dealer and make and model or RV I purchased. I very carefully eliminated and ID for either the dealer or manufacturer.
My interest was not to cause problems for that particular dealer or manufacturer, but only to find out if what my wife and I have experienced is common throughout the industry.

Some of the respondents to my original post have suggested I was just trying to rant, and some have wanted me to name names, and some have actually guessed at names. I will not affirm or deny any. I am not trying to destroy any particular person or company.

What I wanted to know was is the problems I am having systemic within the industry.

Apparently it is.

I will write a letter tonight, starting with Mr. Obama, President of the United States and the Commerce Secretary. That he spent all that time and effort trying to prop up an industry that maybe needs to fail is extremely frustrating. Especially since not only did I spend my money on an RV that is a travesty of American manufacturing, he also spent my tzs dollars doing so.

I urge you to join me in a similar vein.

Someone mentioned the auto industry. Notice the Corvair is no longer around. That started with one person. It is now time for a lot of us to make a lot of noise.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Quality Control
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS