RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Cummins ISC / Pac-Brake oil carry over?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cummins ISC / Pac-Brake oil carry over?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
furycove

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All,
I have a 2000 Country Coach Intrigue, with a 350 Cummins ISC that has been having issues with oil blowing all over the back of the motorhome and the towed vehicle, when using the Pac-Brake for any length of time.
Talked to Pac-Brake, who referred me to Cummins. Found someone there who told me this had been an issue in some of the early ISC's, and that the fix was a crankcase ventilation recirculation kit that re-directs the liquid oil back into the crankcase, and still lets the vapour out to atmosphere. He gave me two choices, the CV50111 or the CV50202, depending on the crankcase output flow.
The question is....has anyone here had the same problem, and actually tried one of these kits, and, do they really work?
I ask this because, when reading the product description for the kits, Cummins says they are for eliminating drips from the breather tube, and does not mention the kit taking care of the excess oil caused by the back pressure from the Pac-Brake.
These are rather spendy filters, and I do not want to go to all this trouble and expense, just to end up back at square one.
Thanks for reading this....any and all info is appreciated.
Moderator...if this post should be in the Tech section, please let me know.
Cheers,
Grant

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grant,

Cause of 95% of blow-by on diesels is excessive oil in the crankcase.

Before doing anything, make sure you have the correct amount of oil in the crankcase.

Go by Cummins's recommended oil capacity, NOT the dipstick. After you have the correct quantity of oil, CALIBRATE THE ENGINE OIL DIPSTICK. If you still have blow by, THEN consider the expensive crankcase vent filter systems. Same advice on Caterpillar, et al-- any diesel build before 1/1/07.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not a PAC problem. Do what Brett said! He's right on the money. And call Cummins (1-800-343-7357), tell them your engine number and they will tell you the proper amount of oil for your engine provided no one has changed the oil pan.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you end up having the correct amount of oil in it then I'd start by adding this for $46. Mount it where you can drain it and unlike the Cummins one it will not put the oil back in the engine, but worth a cheap try to see if this helps.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Grant,

Cause of 95% of blow-by on diesels is excessive oil in the crankcase.

Before doing anything, make sure you have the correct amount of oil in the crankcase.

Go by Cummins's recommended oil capacity, NOT the dipstick. After you have the correct quantity of oil, CALIBRATE THE ENGINE OIL DIPSTICK. If you still have blow by, THEN consider the expensive crankcase vent filter systems. Same advice on Caterpillar, et al-- any diesel build before 1/1/07.

Golden advice. This forum is excellent for stuff like this.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

furycove

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Brett,
Thanks for the reply, I just had the oil changed on my way north this year, but can not honestly tell you if they added to the dipstick mark or if they added by volume.I have no problem with the blow by, even when in the mountains, as long as I do not use the exhaust brake..no oil on the mudflap or on the back of the coach.
The tech from Cummins said they changed the position of the crankcase vent tube about the same time the 8.3 went electronic, it was on top of the engine,and was changed to the side of the block, which they thought may be the cause of the oil backing up in the tube and causing the carry over when the exhaust brake was applied.
I guess my best defense is to avoid using the Pac-Brake until I can sort this out. I will make sure to have the service dept double check the oil level by capacity and not by the stick.
Grant

furycove

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog,
Thanks for the link, I did try something like that when we were on the road, I drilled some holes into the lid of a peanut butter jar, then hose clamped it on to the crankcase tube, then put a brillo pad in the jar to stop the spatter....and it worked...sort of. It was not big enough, but if I had a better design and an easy access drain, it may be worth another try. I would have to make sure it did not restrict the flow of air.
Grant

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you home-make or buy a "not designed for this engine" oil catchment system, MAKE SURE THAT THE AIR FLOW IS NOT IMPEDED!That would be a good way to flow a seal or even a motor (excessive crankcase pressure).

And the complaint of blow by only when on the exhaust brake is very unusual. Unless a worn motor with bad rings, can't see how exhaust brake could lead to excessive blow by.

Bottom line is first thing to do is to verify that oil level is not over filled. If you had previously calibrated the engine oil dipstick, that would be a 1 minute job. AND, do not add oil until the oil level reaches the ADD mark.

BillofPA

York, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our m/home new it deposited a slight amount of oil on the rear cap and toad. Cummins installed that crankcase vent kit under warranty and no problems since. I can't say if it only happened using the pac-brake.

Jenny & Bill
2004 H/Rambler Ambassador 34PDD
Cummins ISC330 Allison 6 speed
2003 Chevy Malibu Toad
Our new Yorkie, Daisy.

BigSkyBob

Helena, Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could your problem possibly be excessive exhaust back pressure caused by the Pacbrake. I'm not sure what the back pressure should be on your motor but my ISL 400 is 60 PSI max @ 2400 RPM. I was cautioned by Cummins not to exceed 60 PSI back pressure as it would have a tendency to float the exhaust valves. If the back pressure on your motor was in excess of Cummins recommendations, it could cause some blow by if the rings were worn excessively. The back pressure can be checked by inserting a liquid filled gauge in the port on the side of the Pacbrake then have someone check the gauge while using the exhaust brake. Just some thoughts.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cummins ISC / Pac-Brake oil carry over?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS