RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Forget your secret spots and take a tape measure camping

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Forget your secret spots and take a tape measure camping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
whazoo

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Natl. Forest Service is implementing nation wide, a camping corridor of 30 feet on either side of a "designated" road. Meaning a signed and numbered dirt road. At the same time, many roads are being closed "for future generations." That little spur that takes you to that secret spot may not be designated so no need to worry about who finds out, you'll now have to pack in.

If you measure 30 feet with a tape measure, many rv's are longer. In fact I'm sure I can clear 30 feet spitting a punkin seed.

The local Arizona forests are handing out free maps to show road closures as many times there will be no other notice until you are ticketed. I advise checking with all Natl. Forests before you go. Some forests are in affect now with all by Dec. of this year. And yes, you have to go get the maps as they won't be coming to you.

The term 'boondocking" is an endangered term in the "National Forest" and is now placed on the "endangered term" list as per this writing. Footprint environmentalists and a lack of funding to the National Forest will have us camping in smaller and fewer areas.

The term "National Forest" is also an endangered term, as it's no longer national.

A depressed Whazoo sorely misses the good ol days.

Go camping folks, but take a tape measure.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Whaz!

Quote:

Go camping folks, but take a tape measure.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Clattertruck

Centennial Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our government detests individualism, campers 3 inches off the prescribed area, folks with beer, and guns in the hands non-officials.

Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.

ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More Freedom and Liberty stripped away each and every day.....

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even our BLM land is being threatened. All for a bird. The Sage Grouse. They are even trying to divert air traffic at the Boise airport. Good Grief!!!!

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

they did that to us up here in Oregon years ago. back in the 80's if I not mistaken. we used to go up a road to cut fire wood and one day two guys who were surveying came over to our camp and said we sure had a nice place to cut wood and we would never run out of good fire wood for years to come. the very next year they had that road barricaded and now all that wood is laying on the ground decaying.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not much difference than previously since MOST districts already had that rule in effect for quite some time. Just remember there is MORE to it than just that and those other distinctions will still be in effect. Many districts will not allow camping within XXX feet of any water course or empoundment and of course there will always be signed "no camping areas" that may otherwise be OK to camp at but for the signs.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

30 ft means park on the road or park parallel to the road. I wonder if slideouts count...

Do you have a link to something on a usfs site? I couldn't find it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

whazoo

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

30 ft means park on the road or park parallel to the road. I wonder if slideouts count...

Do you have a link to something on a usfs site? I couldn't find it.

No. 9 on this page. Yes, it is Coconino Natl Forest but I've called US Forestry and all US Forests will be infected...I mean affected. It is made to sound a small issue but the repercussions are big if you think them through.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/home/?cid=stelprdb5313448

This post is meant as a warning to those of us that are uninformed, that means me. A large editorial in the Arizona Republic was my notification. That and a lady at the Mormon Lake Lodge telling me of all the road closures and ticketing without notice. It's another way to acquire funds I suppose.

I can think of hundreds of small camp spots that will be affected, and those are just the ones in my memory bank.

In the meantime buy stock in map manufacturers as your GPS won't know of road closures. Paper maps will be making a come-back.

Hey Silver!

on edit: 3,000 miles of existing roads have been closed this year in the Coconino alone. Good thing you can't see my Whazoo tears. No other input can be given or removing this proclamation.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best to contact each specific forest supervisor before heading out into the forest to find out what that specific forest camping requirements are.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Forget your secret spots and take a tape measure camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: