|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Rear tire cooling

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
FuzzyKnight

Santee, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We own an oloder Pace Arrow, 1994, Upon examining the underneith of the coach I found the rear sway bar bushings to be melted. Also each time we drove the coach I would notice a smell of hot gear oil upon stopping. I checked and found no leaks of gear oil so I guessed that it was coming out of the vent. Soooooo I installed 3 inch light weight drain tube down the bottom of each frame rail with a 45 at the end to duct cool air coming from the front of the coach. I used 3 inch Water heater vent tube in the front to bend around items and connect to the drain tube. 1st test was short but seemed to be working. No gear smell and the rear tires, inner and outer, both had the same temp as the front tires.
I'll keep info posted as time goes on. We are off for a 1300 mile trip to Oregon so it will be a good test.

Fuzzy and Mary
1994 Pace Arrow 33
1928 Model A
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original factory V8 4 spd
1963 Fairlane SportsCoupe
1965 Honda SuperHawk

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did not mention that you checked the rear end oil.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me know how it turns out. Hopefully all will go well. I'd almost suggest taking it on several small trips and make sure everything is working before testing on 1300 miles.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would have taken it out for a test drive and then hit it with an IR gun to pinpoint the source of the heat. If everything is working properly, I don't believe it should get that hot. You could have something like a brake dragging lightly or a bearing that is shot.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revcon Forum

slickest1

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daveinet wrote:

I think I would have taken it out for a test drive and then hit it with an IR gun to pinpoint the source of the heat. If everything is working properly, I don't believe it should get that hot. You could have something like a brake dragging lightly or a bearing that is shot.

Or under inflated tires!

2000 H.R. Imperial 38wds rr8r roadmaster, isc 350 cummins
2007 Chevy Trailblazer, Blue ox towbar
Ready Brake with breakaway.

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slickest1 wrote:

Daveinet wrote:

Or under inflated tires!

Fully agree...you temporary fix may keep the temps down but I'd think it shouldn't have gotten that hot to begin with. As suggested..check inflations, bearings and brakes.

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Lobstah

Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sowego wrote:

slickest1 wrote:

Daveinet wrote:

Or under inflated tires!

Fully agree...you temporary fix may keep the temps down but I'd think it shouldn't have gotten that hot to begin with. As suggested..check inflations, bearings and brakes.

X2.

I never like trying to fix a symptom, rather than identifying the true problem. If there was a design problem, there most likely would have been recalls and would have been a "known" problem.

I think something else is going on, and worried that you're just masking it.

Also, is there any chance that the bushings weren't really melted, but just worn? Almost 20yrs of hard duty could make an old rubber bushing look pretty sad.

Jim

2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer
3 Maine Coon cats

jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming everything checks out and there are no issues to resolve, I think that your suggestion is a good idea. My inner left rear tire runs hotter that the rest due to the fact that the exhause pipe is running along side of it. Not close enough to be a safety issue but I would still like to get the temp down. I am going to try a heat shield and if that doesn't work I'm going to try pushing cooler air just as you have done.

FuzzyKnight

Santee, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has been my experiance with the 5 motorhomes that we have owned is that because of the construction there is a tendancy to keep heat under the coach. It has also been my experiance that the inner dual runs much hotter than the outside one. It has been my experiance that the rears run hotter than the fronts. The purpose of this post is to let those who take great care in maintaining their coach to have an example of how to help eliminate these problems. I wish to thank all of those who are trying to point out that I may have a problem somewhere else but that is not the case.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Rear tire cooling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS