|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> North East

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
haste maker

alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thing about going to the North East this fall for the fall leaf colors & would like to know where we should go & where we should stay & what time of the year we should go. We like full hook-ups with good WI-Fi & cable TV..thanks

Retried Teamster
2007 Dodge
2012 Sierra
2002 Honda Goldwing

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be advised that lots of CGs close after Labor Day - and most of the ones that don't will close after Columbus Day.

And where to go... Vermont, of course.

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

joelc

Hubert, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't say what part of the N.E. I live in PA and the peak season is generally in October. If you are going to N.H. or Maine or Western Massachusetts it might vary by as much as two weeks. Please be advised that the weather has a lot to do with the colors. If it remains warm, there won't be any show, but if there is a cold snap for several nights, you could be lucky.

Salty Dog

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The colors in the fall can be seen many places. Most campgrounds will still be open for the Fall colors.
What interests do you have that coincide with the Fall colors? The NY wine trail along the Finger Lakes is nice, Letchworth Gorge, any of the mountain areas of the NE, Acadia N.P. in Maine, etc. Lots to see and do, many CG with hookups. Weather can be warm and nice or cooler and rainy... Good Luck, Mike

Wife, kids, somebody else's kids, dog, kitchen sink

Cleverly disguised as an adult.

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lived in Vermont for 45 years and have been in MA since then. I am very partial to Vermont and New Hampshire for foiliage. I believe you will find that most campgrounds close somewhere around Columbus Day. Most, if not all state parks do close after Labor Day.
As far as finding the best color it is a******shoot. The good thing is that it does progress from north to south so you do have a chance to catch some great views if you hear that color is peaking in the north. VT has a helpful site to keep track of the color.http://www.foliage-vermont.com/foliageinflash.htm

LOts of folks are probably going to give you lots of campground suggestions,so I am going to make two of my favorites in VT. In the far north, http://www.sugarridgervpark.com/

In the south, http://koa.com/campgrounds/brattleboro/

Travel safe and enjoy.

Camper Mama Bear

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA is beautiful. either the Poconos or the Allegheny Mts. Columbus Day is a general time to hit the colors in NJ, PA, and NY. Further up into New England would be earlier.
I wouldn't recommend the campgrounds in NJ given the amenities you are looking for. Many are seasonal or rundown. In our opinion the ones that aren't have so many rules or the sites are so small they aren't very enjoyable. We stay in State Parks when camping in NJ.
PA you will probably be good with most full service campgrounds, haven't run across one we wouldn't return to. A quiet one in the Lancaster area (again nice leaf color) that we enjoyed before children was Country Haven Campground, I'm not sure if they have Wi-Fi. Probably a call to the campground they will be able to give you a general idea of a good time for leaf season.
Hope some of this is helpful.

Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In early September the foliage tracker websites are up and running. They can give you an idea of what to expect when. It varies from year to year and state to state. NH could have gorgeous foliage but MA lousy, depending on who gets the rain, how cold it's been, etc. One of my favorite places for foliage is Cape Cod. It's later in the year on average and much less crowded.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

trailerbikecamper

eastern Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're going that far NE check out south east Canada-particularly New Brunswick and Nove Scotia. Generally, late September or early October is good time to visit. Great scenery, great drives, especialy along Cabot trail in Nove Scotia. While there you may want to take a day or 2 to drive the Confderation bridge to Prince Edward Island. Very scenic, very relaxed pace through almost all of the eastern Canadian Prvinces.

Dan/Mary

Mike& Rose

Lake & Horse country,Blackstone Valley MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One suggestion for a Campground that is open all year long is Meredith Woods in NH. They also have an indoor pool. One of my favorite place for foliage in Quechee Gorge, VT. There is a KOA close by but I am not sure when they close for the season. As others have said the season differs regions to region so follow the updates on the web sites list by others above. Our local news always shows the "Peak" regions on a daily bases.

See you on the road!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> North East
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS