RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Debugging fuel station fuel pump??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Debugging fuel station fuel pump??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
joebedford

at stick house

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last week when I was filling my lawn tractor as I was topping off the tank I noticed that the fuel station pump was running slower and slower. I had been having trouble with batteries so I thought it was that. Today, with fresh batteries, the pump doesn't go at all.

I checked the supply voltage and it's just over 13v. When I press the switch, the voltage drops to 8.5v. I left it for the full 5 minute time-out and it shut off but didn't blow a fuse. Gas gauge is working properly.

What's the next step? Try to run the pump backwards to clear a jam? Pull the gears and see if they're swollen?

I'd prefer not to spend $300 on a new pump when this one is a little over a year old and has been used maybe 10 times.

I'd really like to get this fixed before we take off next Wednesday for 5 weeks to fill in all the "blank states" on our map.

Alfred622

Rochester, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't understand why the voltage drops to 8.5 volts. I assume that is measured right at the pump. If so, that means the pump is drawing so much current that you're dropping 4.5 volts in the wiring which seems to be a lot!

Can you take a 12v battery and using jumper cables hook it up right to the pump? That would give you a full 12v at the pump and see if that makes it run. If it does, and if your coach batteries are fully charged, I'd look for aloose ocnnection (especially a loose ground wire). Let us know what you find!

Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

River&Sand

San Diego, CA USA!!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 10:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is a Graco 260000 pump it is more than likely the gears have swollen and either need sanding or replaced.

River&Sand
05 Chev Ext.Cab K3500, Dmax/Alli, DRW, Reese Signature 18k, HappiJac, Jordan 2020
05 Lance 920 Truck Camper
06 Weekend Warrior LE3305, 5th Airborne, Dexter E-Z Flex
01 HighJumper SandSprite 3 Dune Buggy

joebedford

at stick house

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I'm confused (even more confused than usual).

This morning I tried the pump and it works! It makes the usual vibration and rattling noises but it pumps. I dumped a couple of gallons into the generator tank.

Only difference I can tell is that yesterday when I tried it, the temperature was about 34C (95F) and this morning it was 20C (70F). I'll try it again this afternoon after the sun get onto it for a while and see what happens - it's supposed to be hot again today.

The pump is a GPI EZ-RV mounted vertically - motor down, gears up.

tom cav

orange co

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can try and back off the bolts on the gear housing, if that free's up then your gears need to be sanded /replaced. i have sanded mine working good 2 yrs

2007.5 cc,sb.ltz 4x4 d/a ,o9 eclipse stellar 34 lksg 2012 xp-4, 08 4seat rhino . yamaha 125 grizzly 125 breeze

64thunderbolt

Az

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 11:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

they may need replaced. If not used for long periods of time they will dry out and will not turn. I had this problem when I brought mine home. Blew the fuse so I took it apart and they were hard as a rock.

Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" turbo back exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
08 Arctic Cat Prowler 700XTX

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/12 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like your gears are swelling. These pumps have themal protection so if the motor is getting too hot it will shut down.

Replacement kits here -Didn't look to see if they ship to canada though...
http://store.gpipumps.com/ezelfupu.html

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Debugging fuel station fuel pump??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS