|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fridge Problem.-UPDATE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have run the fridge on propane when going down the road. Currently we are on a 4 week trip.

Pulled into site this after noon, hooked to shore power and wife said no light indicating A/C. She said it was on the first time she looked at it. I have checked the voltage at pedestal and it is O.K.. 5 amp fuse was blown. Replaced it and started on gas because I have heard it cools faster. Switched to A/C about an hour later. Fuse blows again. Turned off and replaced fuse. Restarted on A/C. Outside temp is 102. Inside fridge it was 60 deg.

Ideas?

UPDATE: As of the last 12 hours, the unit continues on electric and temp. down to 46. Pulling out this morning and will run on propane,

* This post was edited 07/15/12 05:53am by Charlie D. *

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a little confused! A/C? As in alternating current/shore power? Did it blow the fuse the second time or is it still working? Could be an issue with the heating coil or board.

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWD wrote:

I'm a little confused! A/C? As in alternating current/shore power? Did it blow the fuse the second time or is it still working? Could be an issue with the heating coil or board.

I agree. Since you checked the voltage on the campground's post, and the frig works fine on propane, this would indicate a problem with the coil or the board.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. A/C = 120v. Blew fuse 2 times. Can't remember if it was on propane the second time. Based upon the temp. of the fridge when it was off, I believe it blew the first fuse while on the road and on propane. When switched to propane, it will ignite..

The fridge is currently on 120v for last 2 hours. I have a 12 fan installed at the top of the vent stack that is not working. It is wired directly to the ground and 12v connection. Unable to tell if the fan is bad, whether my current problem keeps it from running or of it has other issues. Had wife turn off, to propane and then back to 120. Fuse blew again. I have disconnected the fan from a voltage source, replaced the fuse and have been back on for 1 hour.

I plan on leaving it on 120v overnight and then to propane when we leave tomorrow. I will try to verify if it blows on propane or 120v.

UPDATE: As of the last 12 hours, the unit continues on electric and temp. down to 40. Pulling out this morning and will run on propane, Ambient temp. is 75 F and large tube (boiling unit?) is 105. Outside cover left off last night. Thought it would be hotter if unit was running? Green 120v light is on.

* This post was last edited 07/15/12 06:13am by Charlie D. *   View edit history

edatlanta

Panama City, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could your fan be overloading the fuse and causing it to blow? If the unit keeps working on on a/c I would find another source of power for the fan.

Ed

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You 120 element/s are shorting out. Replace them. Doug

ken white

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the ACV is low from the pedestal, the heating element will draw more current than is should when trying to operate.

2008 Dodge RAM 3500, 4x4, Quad Cab, Long Bed, DRW, G56, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

marspec

West Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm assuming the fan is 12V and the fuse is for the 12V power. You need 12V power for the fridge to operate both on AC or propane. The fan is probably temperature controlled so it only runs when outside temp is high. It appears the fan is the problem.

2013 F450
Towing 2013 Lifestyle 37RESL

OldGreaser

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the 120v elements short out, there is a low voltage fuse that could blow. Its purpose is to protect the circuit board. Sounds like an intermittent short on the 120v elements to me.

bstark

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without knowing what refridgerator you actually have; assumptions only here:

Mention of a cooling fan in the rear of the fridge infers a slideout installed fridge with two access/vent doors or covers - no roof top vent.

105F boiler temp? Where did you take that temp reading from? Should you have access to an infra-red temp gun, even a cheap Harbour Freight one, shooting the very top, finned, cross over tubing (behind upper vent cover) at the entrance end where the tubing from the top of the boiler goes should yield a temperature figure of higher than 130F and where fans come factory installed by trailer manufacture, a temp pot(small,dime sized thermacouple) to start and stop those fans automaticly would typicly be mounted to that first far right fin at the very top rear of the unit and be a pot lablelled 130/145F. ergo your boiler temps should be a lot higher than 105F for any cooling action to occur further up the line through BTU exchange.

Heater element will likely be anywhere from 320 to 360 watts and the ohms resistance across the leads when disconnected (from age degraded recall here) should be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 8400 ohms to be healthy. If the resistance shows lower than 7500ohms; pitch the element and start with a new one.

The fuse you speak of is EITHER; one of possibly two that are part of the fridges circuit board contoller and this board is 12V powered only. The 120V ac is throughput via a 12v relay to the heater element so batteries are always required and dependant upon age of fridge and board design will be sensitive to 12v voltage degradation for anywhere down to 10 volts. Newer ones are strangely MORE sensitive to any 12v voltage drop. OR it is an inline fuse for the heater element itself and it is this one blowing, sounds like your element is pooched.

Perusing either Norcold's or Dometic's service literature site for your model number should glean the exact element part number, wattage and test ohm's.

Wiring the fan direct to AFTER fuse might also overload the fuse but typicly, pancake fans draw very low amperage, usually below 1 amp. A pair of them are routinely wired with their own 3amp fuse.

A preliminary inspection of the tubing immediately adjacent to boiler either coming out of the horizontal brine tank, entering vertical boiler and at it's very top where the tubing exits the boiler for any yellow powdery residue should also be first troubleshooting exercise.

* This post was edited 07/15/12 08:45am by bstark *

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fridge Problem.-UPDATE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS