RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Redwoods National Parks

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Redwoods National Parks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Yongkie

Beaverton, OR, US

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted on where to stay, but after looking at the Redwoods Natinal Park, I am at a lost as to where to begin to explore these parks. Could you folks out there give me some pointers?

We are coming from the north (Oregon).

As always, many thanks in advance.

Y Hurd

Yongkie
Alaska Tour 2006
(May 20th through July 1st)

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and JAX, Fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on your rig - tent, or RV and what size? And if you want hook-ups?

Are you're young hikers, back-packing, biking, or seniors looking for accessible trails ...

Give us a little more info - we've been there several times and it's absoluting stunning ... One of the most beautiful parks in USA.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on the size of your rig. If your small enough, you can fit in the state parks along the coast, if you have a big rig, you can "home base" at a scattering of private parks. I personally like Riverwalk RV Park in Fortuna, or Benbow near Garberville for this purpose. From Fortuna, you can explore Victorian Ferndale, the "Lost Coast" near Cape Mendicino, Grizzly Creek SP on Hwy 36, or the Redwoods NP near Redway; all 30-60 minutes away. Benbow is 10 minutes from some of the awesome forests on the southern end.

Eureka has a cool old town/downtown area. Acros the bay bridge is Samoa that has a cool family-style cookhouse. If you drive south for about 5 miles, you hit the breakwaters of Humbolt Bay. South of Rio Dell is Scotia which had an enormous redwood mill...not sure how much is still running, or if they have tours.

Coming from the north, the Trees Of Mystery is worth a stop to at least hit the gift shop and see the 50' tall Paul Bunyon and his blue ox Babe. Prairie Creek SP usually had some Roosevelt elk grazing near the visitors center, sometimes they are speed bumps in the road!!

Let us know what your hauling and what kind of camping you like!

Todd

* This post was edited 07/15/12 09:05am by dupreet *

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like about a 21 foot van. You will be able to get into all the park sideroads. There are not too many.
Coming out of OR, you will pass through some nice Redwood groves. Several small turn outs along first stretch.
There is a good visitors center in Crescent City just west of US 101 that you should visit for specifics.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I recall properly, Redwood National Park is partially managed by the Feds and the state. Part of it is near Jedediah state park, del Norte state park, and Prairie Creek state park. The original Redwood National Park entrance is located up Bald Hill Road near Orick. For clarification, Humboldt Redwoods State Park is located south of Eureka.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do have a 21 foot RV try Hidden Springs N/O Meyer's Flat in NP. Up the road is the visitors center for St Pk. There is access to Eel Rive nearby and our 9 and 11 year old grandkids swam across the river. It's veryslow and kinda cool but the kids love it. When we were there it was mostly locals swimming and we (DW) talked to a few Moms and Aunties and they were really helpful pointing out places the kids would like. Many local Native American folks swimming there. I don't like like that term, I like Canada's term First Nations People, kind of gives honor to the fact they were here first. There are several campgrounds along the Avenue of the Giants and lots of places to explore. Also it is "Cool and Green and Shady" to use the title of a John Denver song.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000
Blue Ox Apollo Brake Sys.(missing after break in, shopping for new one)

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not want to "steel" this posting. But I have much the same question. I have a 30 foot Travel Trailer. I like to dry camp at a base camp and use my TV to visit the National Park.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC - I know there are some boon docking spots near Trinidad. I think your TT is at the limit of the limit of most of the SP's.

Yongkie

Beaverton, OR, US

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks,

We have 21 footer (van), thus no bathroom and DW requires nice and clean bathroom, otherwise she will .......

Y Hurd

Mountain Traveler

Rocky Mountain National Park

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed in Eureka, Ca at Shoreline RV Park for about 3 weeks and really liked it. Great wifi, very nice large showers with unlimited hot water. Very nice grass and paved site.

Fleetwood Discovery Diesel Pusher with Jeep Unlimited Toad.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Redwoods National Parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS